Could the Bills ever be as successful as the Patriots?

Could the Bills ever be as successful as the Patriots have been in the past 16 years?

• Total voters

thomas144

Bandwagon Fan
Reaction score
Website
www.mudelephant.com
Due to popular demand, posting this question as a separate thread.

Certainly it's possible that the Bills might draft a great QB and even higher a great coach, pretty much at the same time, but if they did, would they stay in Buffalo or would they leave for a better place to live and work? Do you think it is even possible for the Bills to have the success the Patriots have had since hiring Belichick and drafting Brady.

Yes.

If Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant goes full China Syndrome and contaminates the entire South Shore for 10,000 years and the league, in its best interests, terminates any and all Bills, and relocates the Patriots to northern New York state.

Kind of unfair to compare the Bills to an NFL team.

waynesworld.monkeys.gif

The Bills had a tremendous run and should have won at least 1 of the 4 superbowls they made it to. That was their chance. They blew it.

I heard one of the Buffalo media guys explaining his point of view on everything on the Bills and he seemed like a reasonable guy. His take was that the new ownership group is so green that they don't really know who to listen to and keep floundering as a result, as in the GM and scouts getting fired a short time after Pegula gave him a vote of confidence.

He stated that there is no truth, as far as he knows, that Pegula wanted Patrick Mahomes and were pissed at the trade with KC, but the bottom line is that they desperately need to bring in a solid football guy with vision or it won't matter how good the new coach is. Bottom line-- they are a rudderless ship.

Let's see who they tab to run the show and take it from there.

I think Nathan Peterman has a chance at being a pretty good QB and it sounds like nobody really believes in the guy they have now despite his solid 95 QBR. Apparently, he still makes the same mistakes he made years ago and they'll probably rush Peterman into service before long.

They aren't close to competing with us in 2017.

If I was Terry Pegula, I'd pay Nick Caserio the highest GM salary ever and give him whatever power needed to pry him away from us. Make him an offer he can't refuse, because it's a hell of a lot cheaper paying him than paying crappy players and ex-coaches dead money.

Certainly it's possible that the Bills might draft a great QB and even higher a great coach, pretty much at the same time, but if they did, would they stay in Buffalo or would they leave for a better place to live and work? Do you think it is even possible for the Bills to have the success the Patriots have had since hiring Belichick and drafting Brady.

On the football field? No

"Could" something happen? You have to answer "yes" to that.

How lucky are we that the earth is 4.5 billion years old and we get to live in the Belichick and Brady era? :toast:

I'm fairly certain that the Bills having success like the Patriots would surely be one of the signs of a forthcoming apocalypse, right?

I'm fairly certain that the Bills having success like the Patriots would surely be one of the signs of a forthcoming apocalypse, right?

I still think the Patriots having success like the Patriots is a sign of the forthcoming apocalypse.

Cheers

Rambling

The Bills had a tremendous run and should have won at least 1 of the 4 superbowls they made it to. That was their chance. They blew it.

Yah. Teams go on runs, dominating a division or even the league for a time. The Patriots managed to avoid doing it for quite a while, but finally went on what might be the Mother Of All Runs.

What does it take to do it? You could look for an owner, a front office, a coach, a quarterback. The obvious is the latter two. You look at Shula Marino, Montana Walsh, Kelly Levy, and so many more.

Some organizations have never gone on a run. If the Patriots have won a tenth of the Super Bowls played, some franchises are getting short changed. Other organizations have been persistent, have gone on multiple runs. The Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers and others have had more than their share of time on the top.

Kraft's last three coaches have been Parcells, Carol and Belichick. Whoever follows those three has tough acts to follow. To what extent does the owner and front office have the chops to find someone comparably good? Can the Patriots sustain their run?

I'm dubious? The Belichick Brady pair is going to be one really tough act to follow. It's a lot to hope for to replace that pair, but can they at least remain contenders?

But I'd give the Krafts a better shot at staying near the top than I'd give the Bills people a shot at getting to the top.

But New England isn't in a position to complain. In my lifetime I've watched Auerbach Russel, Orr & Esposito, Bird's Big Three and Brady Belichick. I've come to believe that players can get you a short run, but sustained success requires an owner and front office people. Orr, Esposito and Bird were all a fan could dream about, but Auerbach and Belichick brought home a lot of hardware. Finding that sort of guy is really rough.

Pendulums swing. The Bills will have another run someday. Will anyone jump over Brady & Belichick? I'm not holding my breath, but someday...

I think there are two separate questions being asked. Would a second poll be feasible?

Back