Defenseless Player Hits

INPatFan

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the NFL considers Ju-Ju's hit on Burfict to have been a hit on a defenseless player. WTF. He's actively running down a play with a chance to make a tackle. Sure he got lit up, and maybe didn't even see it coming, but how is he defenseless?

Can Ju-Ju legally block the guy or not? Or is this just a case of "blocking too hard". If it isn't head to head contact I can't see why blocking the shit out of a guy that is trying to tackle one of your guys should be called a foul.

I read somewhere that the NFL considers Ju-Ju's hit on Burfict to have been a hit on a defenseless player. WTF. He's actively running down a play with a chance to make a tackle. Sure he got lit up, and maybe didn't even see it coming, but how is he defenseless?

Can Ju-Ju legally block the guy or not? Or is this just a case of "blocking too hard". If it isn't head to head contact I can't see why blocking the shit out of a guy that is trying to tackle one of your guys should be called a foul.

I watched the video this morning, first time I've seen it-

- he launched, was off his feet when he made contact

- had plenty of time and opportunity to hit Burfict lower and drive through the block. JuJu's a big boy, he's not a smurf like Sammy Watkins or Desean Jackson, he chose not to

- when you couple these two things with standing over Burfict and taunting after the hit, the optics are terrible...and don't try to tell me that optics don't matter because they do. If they don't, why even bother referring to them?

No arguments here with what occurred, just asking about the defenseless aspect.

The taunting was a foul, I know that.

Is there now a rule about launching to make a hit? So, only offensive players can launch to make a catch, make it into the EZ, etc. No launching for defensive players? Seems like they do it all the time.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7, this covers hits on defenseless players.

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE.​
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player
who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture).

(2) A receiver running a pass route when the defender approaches from the side or behind. If the receiver becomes a
blocker or assumes a blocking posture, he is no longer a defenseless player.
(3) A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of
avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

(4)
The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential
interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer
a defenseless player.

Note:
Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain
possession.

(5) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped.

(6) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air.

(7) A player on the ground.

(8) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6-h) for additional restrictions against a
kicker/punter).

(9) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 9-f) for additional restrictions against a
quarterback after a change of possession).

(10) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

(11) A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2).

(12) The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick.

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) f
orcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder,
even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s
neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms
to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him

(2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the crown or “hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body

(3) illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to
spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against
any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)

Ju-Ju actually does launch himself at Burfict and his helmet contacts Burfict's helmet which then snaps Burfict's head backwards. Ju-Ju's toes don't leave the ground very much but that's only because he makes contact before they can. This was a launch against a player who wasn't aware and it was helmet to helmet. Ju-Ju teed him up. This is exactly the type of hit the NFL should be penalizing. The taunting isn't the reason for the suspension. This is the definition of a blindside block, #10 above.

Players have to learn how to block and tackle - the very existence of football is at stake.

I have an idea. Have anyone about to block yell out what he's about to do...
Ridiculous.

EDIT: Ridiculous that the hit was suspendable.
A fine, whatever.

I have an idea. Have anyone about to block yell out what he's about to do...
Ridiculous.

EDIT: Ridiculous that the hit was suspendable.
A fine, whatever.

Personally, I think if the taunting hadn't occurred, he wouldn't have been suspended. The two together is what tipped it over the edge.

So taunting gets you a game. Got it.

Anyway, I believe there's a reason and in the end it benefits the way the team plays.
You know, how the Pats ad nauseum rally...

I think the fact that the NFL suspended a player from each team tells you that they are trying to get control of the players in this rivalry. Several ugly moments the last few years.

So taunting gets you a game. Got it.

Anyway, I believe there's a reason and in the end it benefits the way the team plays.
You know, how the Pats ad nauseum rally...

Taunting after an illegal and dangerous hit will yes.

I watched the video this morning, first time I've seen it-

- he launched, was off his feet when he made contact

- had plenty of time and opportunity to hit Burfict lower and drive through the block. JuJu's a big boy, he's not a smurf like Sammy Watkins or Desean Jackson, he chose not to

- when you couple these two things with standing over Burfict and taunting after the hit, the optics are terrible...and don't try to tell me that optics don't matter because they do. If they don't, why even bother referring to them?

Yeah, like right on the side of his knee so the joint moves in a direction that it shouldn't

Whatever.
Thing of beauty, though.
Absolutely loved it.

I have to agree with AOT here... that block was beautiful made even more so because that piece of shit Burfict got a taste of his own bullshit. The only thing that could have made it better would have been... see my above post

I have to agree with AOT here... that block was beautiful made even more so because that piece of shit Burfict got a taste of his own bullshit. The only thing that could have made it better would have been... see my above post

Much like this hit...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/23SdAe-_3B4" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back