Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm (CBS)

Maclin MRI results show No ACL Tear, but did show High Ankle Sprain, no word on if there is a sprain on Knee Ligaments at the moment.

Status is officially "uncertain" - but Pats fans will remember how hobbled Gronkowski was in SB46 after High Ankle Sprain in AFCCG vs Ravens (**** Bernard Pollard) - not looking good for Maclin

We are still salty over Pioli and Cassel. I don't think that will ever go away. :D

So we have drama from a rival's board here? Excellent. Should be a fun week.

Something I just learned at the mothership which is pretty amazing. This is the first playoff victory for the Chiefs in the history of Chiefsplanet.

That is at least surprising. Since this Planet started in 2002 (I don't know when CP began) we've had 18 playoff wins and won it all 3 times.

Far as the game goes, I was impressed, despite the fact Houston was a sub-par opponent, with the Chiefs overall heads-up play as a team. They are a smarter group than we are used to facing in all 3 phases. They do the little things better than most and resemble us in a lot of ways, imo. They don't beat themselves which is what we often try to force teams to do.

I don't buy the "Chiefs offense sucks" theory much. Maclin has been healthy and is very effective working the seams when we play zone and can line up anywhere. Kelce is a fair approximation of Gronk and represents a huge challenge for a banged-up Pat Chung. That is a major advantage for them and should keep Chung occupied away from the LOS where he is most effective. Alex Smith represents a guy that runs well enough to force a "keep him in the pocket" defensive game plan that usually results in handing the opponent plenty of time to throw the ball.

My X factor nightmare is that they will watch what Miami's Devante Parker did last week and give Chris Conley more opportunities. I studied him coming out of the draft a bit and he is a freakish athlete with all kinds of star traits but has only caught 17 passes so far. Maybe it's secret weapon time.

You never know, but I was hoping that with all hands on deck we'd be able to play aggressively in select situations, but giving a "game-manager" technician QB like Smith (I think he's better than that) a soft pocket means a classic Matt Patricia/BB bend-but-don't-break game plan that can give an opponent a ton of confidence and, therefore, give a team that has been shaky at times some confidence.

I think they are a fairly bad match-up for us. If we could run and blitz aggressively it would stress their OL who is better at grinding it out. As it is, I doubt very much we dominate that offense.

The Chiefs were 27th on offense during the regular season.

There's no way around that. It sucks.

If you don't turn the ball over, we won't score.

Maclin, Kelce, yeah they are good. So good that we haven't had even as much as 200 yards passing in a game in six weeks.

If you score 21 you win, IMO.

I bet you've never even heard of Albert Wilson and Chris Conley. Those are our starting WR now.

You'd be wrong about that. See above. Not having seen much of your team this year -- what is up with Conley? Why only 17 catches?

Alex Smith is 3-41-1 when the opponent scores 24 or more points. If you think you can manage that at home, you're golden.

That is an amazing stat. Thanks, because I'll be slinging that one around all week while wondering if our offense can show up, block somebody and put up four scores against that D.

We are still salty over Pioli and Cassel. I don't think that will ever go away. :D

I don't blame you. We cheated you out of a second rounder. :coffee:

:Lwelcome:

Cheers, BostonTim

That is at least surprising. Since this Planet started in 2002 (I don't know when CP began) we've had 18 playoff wins and won it all 3 times.

Far as the game goes, I was impressed, despite the fact Houston was a sub-par opponent, with the Chiefs overall heads-up play as a team. They are a smarter group than we are used to facing in all 3 phases. They do the little things better than most and resemble us in a lot of ways, imo. They don't beat themselves which is what we often try to force teams to do.

I don't buy the "Chiefs offense sucks" theory much. Maclin has been healthy and is very effective working the seams when we play zone and can line up anywhere. Kelce is a fair approximation of Gronk and represents a huge challenge for a banged-up Pat Chung. That is a major advantage for them and should keep Chung occupied away from the LOS where he is most effective. Alex Smith represents a guy that runs well enough to force a "keep him in the pocket" defensive game plan that usually results in handing the opponent plenty of time to throw the ball.

My X factor nightmare is that they will watch what Miami's Devante Parker did last week and give Chris Conley more opportunities. I studied him coming out of the draft a bit and he is a freakish athlete with all kinds of star traits but has only caught 17 passes so far. Maybe it's secret weapon time.

You never know, but I was hoping that with all hands on deck we'd be able to play aggressively in select situations, but giving a "game-manager" technician QB like Smith (I think he's better than that) a soft pocket means a classic Matt Patricia/BB bend-but-don't-break game plan that can give an opponent a ton of confidence and, therefore, give a team that has been shaky at times some confidence.

I think they are a fairly bad match-up for us. If we could run and blitz aggressively it would stress their OL who is better at grinding it out. As it is, I doubt very much we dominate that offense.

FYI, Maclin was hurt yesterday and Schefter just reported that it's a high ankle sprain. His status will be doubtful at best.

what is up with Conley? Why only 17 catches?

None of our WRs sans Maclin see many balls, least of all a rookie. Just part of playing with Alex Smith.

He's also struggled with drops this year.

Pats defense gets no respect from most fan bases but this years defense is playing as good as any still playing. Pats stop the run and I don't see how KC wins by passing. And even if Maclin plays, he's still playing with an injury ad won't be anywhere near 100%. But I did enjoy watching them beat Denver this year. And to the 2 CP's fans, welcome to the Planet!

Pats defense gets no respect from most fan bases but this years defense is playing as good as any still playing. Pats stop the run and I don't see how KC wins by passing. And even if Maclin plays, he's still playing with an injury ad won't be anywhere near 100%. But I did enjoy watching them beat Denver this year. And to the 2 CP's fans, welcome to the Planet!

KC's offense is strange.

They perform the same whether they are playing against a terrible defense or a great one.

This is where I get a little positive.

The Texans couldn't stop the Chiefs running game.

Is your front 4 strong? That is where you need to stop our running game, because Andy Reid is going to spread your defense out and Kelce will command respect to keep your safety from cheating up.

The Chiefs have a legit running game (to complement their garbage passing game).

This is why you need to avoid turnovers on offense. If you turn it over, you are just playing into the Chiefs game of grinding it out on offense and not giving you more chances to score.

Alex Smith sucks, but one thing he does not suck at is ball protection.

If you don't turn it over, you will win.

If you turn it over? He will go into his shell and let the rest of the team beat you.

Don't worry about the Chiefs running game. They will get their 120 yards. That won't win the game.

Turnovers are the key.

FYI, Maclin was hurt yesterday and Schefter just reported that it's a high ankle sprain. His status will be doubtful at best.

Wow. I didn't get a chance to see that whole game and missed that. Thank you. That could be big.

Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm CBS

This is where I get a little positive.

The Texans couldn't stop the Chiefs running game.

Is your front 4 strong? That is where you need to stop our running game, because Andy Reid is going to spread your defense out and Kelce will command respect to keep your safety from cheating up.

The Chiefs have a legit running game (to complement their garbage passing game).

This is why you need to avoid turnovers on offense. If you turn it over, you are just playing into the Chiefs game of grinding it out on offense and not giving you more chances to score.

Alex Smith sucks, but one thing he does not suck at is ball protection.

If you don't turn it over, you will win.

If you turn it over? He will go into his shell and let the rest of the team beat you.

Don't worry about the Chiefs running game. They will get their 120 yards. That won't win the game.

Turnovers are the key.

With Hightower playing, they are a top 5 run stopping defense. Collins is one of the most athletic LB's in the NFL and is fantastic when he drops back into coverage. The Pats front 7 is legit.

None of our WRs sans Maclin see many balls, least of all a rookie. Just part of playing with Alex Smith.

He's also struggled with drops this year

That was his rep in college too, despite the fact he made a bunch of Beckham Jr.-type catches, too. Inconsistent.

Still, I have to find somebody to panic about for the next week, so he'll do. Like, maybe this is the week he'll figure shit out.

:eek:

With Hightower playing, they are a top 5 run stopping defense. Collins is one of the most athletic LB's in the NFL and is fantastic when he drops back into coverage. The Pats front 7 is legit.

You will need to stop the run with a LB off the field. The Chiefs are going to spread your defense out for sure with a lot of 3 WR sets.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

The thing is, you can stop the Chiefs offense and still lose. I mean, most teams did this year. We were 27th.

We won with defense. You need to worry about YOUR offense.

Don't turn it over. It will be your doom.

Back