Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm (CBS)

How are your special teams? Chiefs special teams are a huge reason for the winning streak.

You cannot give us hidden yards, because that just helps our shitty offense even more.

It depends. Kickoff and Punt Coverage has been really solid all year, only really struggling with Sproles.

Kickoff Return is whatever, of course. No one really returns kicks anymore, but Keyshawn Martin shows some promise.

One of the most underrated places the Patriots injuries have really hurt has been on punt return. Julian Edelman, when healthy, is the best punt returner in the game, hands down. Danny Amendola is serviceable with a nice burst, when he's healthy. Keyshawn Martin has shown nothing special on punt return. He's much, much better on kick return, IMO.

The Patriots have gone through a rough streak fumbling punt returns, but I think a lot of that was due to inexperience and constant turnover, not only at returner, but in the special teams coverage as well. I can attribute that to injuries, and many of the usuals should be ready to go for this one.

Ryan Allen has a good leg and good potential, but he's really struggled this year, lots of line drives and badly aimed punts. Too many for my liking. He can be a real weapon, but he's been very inconsistent this year.

Stephen Gostkowski is the best kicker I've ever seen. And I saw all of Vinatieri's career. :coffee:

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

No way Edelman is returning punts next week. He rarely takes them anymore even when healthy. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for the health of DA, both for punts and for the rest of the stuff he does.

Sent by the voices inside my head

All hands on deck, man, it's the playoffs. If Belichick thinks they needs to pop a return, he'll be back there.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

How are you guys against scrambling QBs?

Despite the fact that he mostly sucks, Smith's scrambling has been key for the Chiefs this year.

If you can stop his running, you can probably shut down the offense completely. We won't move the chains if he doesn't scramble for first downs.

Last year, bad. This year, much, much better, and we've faced a lot of them. Tyrod Taylor twice, Mariota, even Luck, Tannehill twice and Fitzpatrick twice.

It used to be a real weakness on the team. So long as Ninkovich isn't getting dominated by some scrub, they're actually pretty good now.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Our LT has been playing at a high level for awhile now. Our RT, not so great.

Welp, we can cross off Ninkovich for this one then. Can't wait to scream at my TV.

Ninkovich tends to overachieve against good RTs, and get absolutely dominated by shitty ones.

I would honestly say if you can hold Alex under 20 yards rushing, and don't turn the ball over, you win going away.

That's how paper this Chiefs lion is.

I would honestly say if you can hold Alex under 20 yards rushing, and don't turn the ball over, you win going away.

That's how paper this Chiefs lion is.

I mean, it depends how many of those designed QB sweeps he's going to run, I guess.

If I had to hazard a guess on rushing yards, I'd say probably 20-30 sounds about right, especially if they get put in an all-pass situation. Smith has good straight-ahead speed, but he's not exactly elusive.

I mean, it depends how many of those designed QB sweeps he's going to run, I guess.

If I had to hazard a guess on rushing yards, I'd say probably 20-30 sounds about right, especially if they get put in an all-pass situation. Smith has good straight-ahead speed, but he's not exactly elusive.

He's actually really elusive. The guy had 500 rushing yards this year, and mostly on passing plays. He's a threat.

Most of his rushing comes from called pass plays in which he scrambles.

The Chiefs might call 1 QB running play a game. If Alex couldn't scramble the Chiefs would really struggle on offense.

Yeah, dripping with sarcasm, got it.
Bubbles-trailer-park-boys-eyes.gif

He's actually really elusive. The guy had 500 rushing yards this year, and mostly on passing plays. He's a threat.

I know he's a rushing threat. He just doesn't have much wiggle. That wasn't a slam.

notorious said:
Most of his rushing comes from called pass plays in which he scrambles.

The Chiefs might call 1 QB running play a game. If Alex couldn't scramble the Chiefs would really struggle on offense.

I just saw more than one in the last game, a game I wasn't really paying attention to.

Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm CBS

Well, I only read threads that relate to the Pats and that's standard fare on opposing fan boards. Makes it kind of hard to take them serious when all they talk about is cheating, headset fixing, locker room cameras, deflated footballs, and all that other bs. It is good to see opposing fans that aren't complete douche nozzles like the 2 we have here now. I suspect when BossChief shows up that will all change.

You do know that this isn't the karma thread? I haven't read a positive thing from you yet. I'm wondering if I should sell my tickets and not bother going to the game.

Ahhhh. I haven't even talked about the offensive line yet. Stick around for doom and gloom part II.

In all seriousness, I've been responding to select concerns and I haven't liked the way the DL has handled the run all year long. Outside of Chandler Jones screwing up I haven't heard anybody besides myself gripe about the way the DL handles the run, but I'm not wild about what I see.

Overall, I like the Pats to come back strong this week and show the world that they are more like the team that went 10-0 than the one that finished 2-4 no matter how many key players went out with injuries. Run fits on the DL isn't really that big of a deal to me.

I don't see how we can be AS good, but if we are approximately as good I think we will beat KC.

Makes it kind of hard to take them serious when all they talk about is cheating, headset fixing, locker room cameras, deflated footballs, and all that other bs.

It's so stupid. Chiefs fans have such an insecure inferiority complex.

Maybe if the franchise had drafted a QB in the last 30 years instead of just doing perpetual stupid underdog mediocre things, they wouldn't try to drag down the opponent so much.

We will get our ass kicked in Foxboro and the excuses will start.

Nothing will actually be grounded in the reality: our offense isn't and never will be good enough with this QB.

Ahhhh. I haven't even talked about the offensive line yet. Stick around for doom and gloom part II.

In all seriousness, I've been responding to select concerns and I haven't liked the way the DL has handled the run all year long. Outside of Chandler Jones screwing up I haven't heard anybody besides myself gripe about the way the DL handles the run, but I'm not wild about what I see.

Probably because they're 9th against the run, giving up just 4 ypc. :coffee:

They're dominant when Hightower's in there.

Oh, also? The one who screws up keeping the edge isn't really Jones anymore, it's Ninkovich, especially if the RT sucks. I can't remember the last time he got off a block.

Why are you guys so good defending TEs?

If you ask some people, we're not.

It's a two-part answer though:

1) Patrick Chung, a versatile in-the-box safety who can also double as a corner.
2) Jamie Collins, the best overall LB in football, in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Maybe because they practice against one of the best

Also this. And not 'one of'. First-Team All-Pro :coffee:

Why are you guys so good defending TEs?

When you've got one of the best (or for TommyD's sake, The Best) in the game facing you down every day in practice, you learn how to play those guys.

Back