Divisional Round - Chiefs at Patriots 1/16 4:35pm (CBS)

How are your special teams? Chiefs special teams are a huge reason for the winning streak.

You cannot give us hidden yards, because that just helps our shitty offense even more.

It just depends who is back there, and that is based on health. If they feel Amendola is in good enough shape to risk back there, the ball should be pretty safe. If they put Martin back there, he is a dangerous returner, but we'll all be holding our breaths while the ball is in the air

Sent by the voices inside my head

Let's just say the punt game is your most likely place to get that turnover

It will depend on who is back there to take the punts. The punt returning issues began when Edelman and Amendola got hurt. Every punt has been an adventure since then. If Edelman were completely healthy, he's one of the best returners in the game.

Gostkowski is one of the best kickers in the league.

Matthew Slater is the top special teams player and has been in the Pro Bowl the last several years. The coverage teams are pretty good except for the one hiccup against Philly late in the season.

Wow. I didn't get a chance to see that whole game and missed that. Thank you. That could be big.

He left on the Deere in tears, so let's just say the severity looked high. They thought ACL initially.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

This is bad for your team. We have the greatest punter ever.

I think Edelman is the all time punt return yardage per attempt leader. He's real good.

No way Edelman is returning punts next week. He rarely takes them anymore even when healthy. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for the health of DA, both for punts and for the rest of the stuff he does.

How are you guys against scrambling QBs?

Despite the fact that he mostly sucks, Smith's scrambling has been key for the Chiefs this year.

If you can stop his running, you can probably shut down the offense completely. We won't move the chains if he doesn't scramble for first downs.

Is your front 4 strong? That is where you need to stop our running game,

I'm not real high on our run D, but it's been a while since we've really seen Hightower and Jamie Collins playing together and healthy.

In any case, those guys aren't the problem. We don't really plug gaps up front consistently like we used to with Wilfork. We have 4 interior guys that play in rotation, Alan Branch and Malcom Brown tend to start and I don't think either one of them consistently holds down the fort inside.

Branch is Albert Haynesworth-sized and actually plays a lot like him. He'll dwarf-toss a guard and blow a back up for a loss on one play and next play he'll get washed way out of position and fall down like a stiff. Brown is a rookie 1st rounder who is going to be excellent before too long, but he's more effective chasing plays down than he is staying home and kicking ass.

If you stick with the run versus us you'll generally get good results.

I'm not real high on our run D, but it's been a while since we've really seen Hightower and Jamie Collins playing together and healthy.

In any case, those guys aren't the problem. We don't really plug gaps up front consistently like we used to with Wilfork. We have 4 interior guys that play in rotation, Alan Branch and Malcom Brown tend to start and I don't think either one of them consistently holds down the fort inside.

Branch is Albert Haynesworth-sized and actually plays a lot like him. He'll dwarf-toss a guard and blow a back up for a loss on one play and next play he'll get washed way out of position and fall down like a stiff. Brown is a rookie 1st rounder who is going to be excellent before too long, but he's more effective chasing plays down than he is staying home and kicking ass.

If you stick with the run versus us you'll generally get good results.

You do know that this isn't the karma thread? I haven't read a positive thing from you yet. I'm wondering if I should sell my tickets and not bother going to the game.

How is your team against a healthy HOF QB, the best TE in football and the best FG kicker in the NFL? I'm not worried about the offense now that they are getting everyone back (less Lewis). If the D plays like they have been and getting guys back from injury I really like their odds in winning this game.

You do know that this isn't the karma thread? I haven't read a positive thing from you yet. I'm wondering if I should sell my tickets and not bother going to the game.

I was thinking the same thing:coffee:

~Dee~

NE is 8th overall in run d, 1 ahead of KC.

It might be a Jests/Ivory showing all over again. Let them run for 180 and settle for fg's while TB tosses 4-5.

How is your team against a healthy HOF QB, the best TE in football and the best FG kicker in the NFL? I'm not worried about the offense now that they are getting everyone back (less Lewis). If the D plays like they have been and getting guys back from injury I really like their odds in winning this game.

This is why I think the Pats have this by 10+ points.

We haven't faced a team like NE since we were 1-5 and getting the crap beaten out of us by real teams like Green Bay and Cincy.

This team will wilt against a real playoff contender. We haven't faced one since Week 6.

The shock is going to be too much for our poor little QB. :suicide:

Alex Smith is 3-41-1 when the opponent scores 24 or more points. If you think you can manage that at home, you're golden.

That's...an astonishing stat. Thanks. Wow.

:Lwelcome:

Our defense will not be talked about at all this week,but they will be a massive difference next week. Patriots 45 Kansas City 12

Chiefs strengths : Outstanding D-Line with tremendous depth, Fantastic Linebackers, decent corners, and decent safety play. TE's are very good, but make the stupidest bone-head plays every once in a while. Defense can score points in a hurry if you turn over the ball.

Chiefs weaknesses: Special teams returns are either great or horrific, secondary can be beat deep, offensive run game has taken a slight slide and is boosted by Smith's scrambling. WR's have a lot to prove with Maclin out. Smith doesn't have a problem taking shots deep any more, but he has a problem completing them.

There is a lot more, but pretty much the basics. I am sure some of my fellow fans will disagree.

That KC Defense is completely legit. Hali and Houston being banged up will hurt, and might just provide enough time for the Patriots POS offensive line, to let Brady get rid of the ball.

The KC Offense scares me 0%, even with Maclin, because there's no way he'll be right on that knee. Kelce's a real weapon, and even with bracket coverage should still be able to contribute.

What I see, assuming everyone comes back for the Patriots, who is supposed to come back, is KC keeping it close, or leading even at halftime, and the Patriots putting the hammer down in the 3rd, pulling away in the 4th. 24-13ish? Something like that?

Even with Andy Reid usually pooping his pants in big playoff games, I don't think KC embarrasses themselves here in this one.

There is the slight possibility that the Patriots absolutely goes for revenge blood and wins 41-14, but I'm not sure they have the horses to actually pull that off right now.

:Lwelcome:

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Is your front 4 strong? That is where you need to stop our running game, because Andy Reid is going to spread your defense out and Kelce will command respect to keep your safety from cheating up.

This is not the same defense you folks faced a year+ ago. The front 4, even without Easley, is IMO the strongest unit on the team. Assuming both Collins and Hightower are good to go at LB (and indications are that they are), and assuming the Chiefs don't do something radically different with their running game (like Miami did last week, catching the Patriots off-guard in the first half), they should be ok there.

Even if Reid spreads the Patriots out (and he absolutely should, the one real weakness on the defense is depth at corner), the Patriots are so strong at every level, that I'm not sure how effective it will be for the Chiefs throughout the game.

I expect Kelce to contribute, some. He's not going to win the game like he did against the Texans, nope. Chung's too good, Collins is too good.

How are your tackles? I'm excited to see healthy Chandler Jones and healthy Jabal Sheard wreaking havoc.

Patriots are 10th in Points Allowed, 9th in Yards Allowed defensively this year, and that's after a putrid month of performances. For comparison, last year they were 8th in Points Allowed, and 13th in Yards Allowed.

This year's version, of course, with no Revis, Browner or Wilfork.

Our LT has been playing at a high level for awhile now. Our RT, not so great.

after seeing all the craptacular performances this weekend, I am sorta glad the Pats had that craptacular performance of their own against Miami. Gave BB a couple of weeks to "review" the performance and make attitude adjustments.

Back