Do you "really" care about players using steroids?

Does steroid use bother you?

• Total voters
Here is the thing, and forgive me if someone already made this point.

While I agree with the libertarian idea of they are adults and should be able to choose for themselves, if they are NOT against the rules, one would assume it would be more acceptable to take them, so more players would. Many players that do play by the rules now may feel that they have to start taking them, and their bad side effects, just to be competitive.

Personally I would draw the line at any substance you take into your body that yields extreme improvements to your physical abilities beyond what you can achieve through regular diet/exercise and some “minor” supplements.

At face value this seems totally reasonable.

The problem is defining "minor" supplements.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Here is the thing, and forgive me if someone already made this point.

While I agree with the libertarian idea of they are adults and should be able to choose for themselves, if they are NOT against the rules, one would assume it would be more acceptable to take them, so more players would. Many players that do play by the rules now may feel that they have to start taking them, and their bad side effects, just to be competitive.

To play Devils advocate, if you make them legal companies can spend their time researching how to remove those side effects instead of constantly putting out new products to stay a step ahead of the testing agency.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

To play Devils advocate, if you make them legal companies can spend their time researching how to remove those side effects instead of constantly putting out new products to stay a step ahead of the testing agency.

Companies already make them, they are legally prescribe for certain aliments and the side affects are and have been well documented for years. If you have one of those conditions they will be legally prescribed the FDA has not approved the off label uses for just that reason.

Now maybe those companies should just try and work on making a similar synthetic without the side effects lots of non athletes used them also they are an illegal substance by law.

~Dee~

I am not sure there is any way to medically get around the effects of pumping 1000x (or whatever the figure is) the amount of testosterone that your body naturally produces into your system.

I am not sure there is any way to medically get around the effects of pumping 1000x (or whatever the figure is) the amount of testosterone that your body naturally produces into your system.

If they could somehow get rid of the side effects, the performance would not be as good most likely. Synthetic is synthetic and as you say pumping that much hormone is always going to have severe consequences.

It still seems odd to argue that steroids are a no because of side effects when the sport you're playing turns your brain into goo which leads to depression/suicide.

Non-sense. Playing football is the same as taking an aspirin. :coffee:

Don't be so sure.

*sent from a machine people built that lets me talk to people across the world, post messages on a message board, and watch strangers have sex.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Non-sense. Playing football is the same as taking an aspirin. :coffee:

Oh just die already Jerruh.

Don't be so sure.

*sent from a machine people built that lets me talk to people across the world, post messages on a message board, and watch strangers have sex.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Oh just die already Jerruh.

Um. That was Irsay. Nice deflection though.

Originally Posted by Jaric View Post

In this case you're trying to define which is a drug. Steroids are not supplements they are drugs. Thats the difference. If you want to talk about making all drugs legal thats a whole different topic.

~Dee~

Um. That was Irsay. Nice deflection though.

Sorry, apparently you spend more time following what my team's owner says than I do.

"Just die already Irsay."

There, are you happy now? Can we get back to the civil discussion we were having or has that itch you seem to have to shit on the Colts not been fully scratched yet?

In this case you're trying to define which is a drug. Steroids are not supplements they are drugs. Thats the difference. If you want to talk about making all drugs legal thats a whole different topic.

~Dee~

Maybe I'm about to reveal my ignorance about creatine, but other than semantics what's the difference?

Sorry, apparently you spend more time following what my team's owner says than I do.

There, are you happy now? Can we get back to the civil discussion we were having or has that itch you seem to have to shit on the Colts not been fully scratched yet?

Follow? How can anyone not remember one of the stupidest lines ever spoken but then again we are talking about the pill popper so ... I bet Prince's new guitar sounds real sweet when you are baked and banging on the strings ...

I am sorry, I can never oblige your request not to crap all over the Dolts. There is just so much fodder to choose from from the sleaziest org in football.

Quiet down, DOLTS fan! You are a guest here! :dum: :manning: :zombie:

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Maybe I'm about to reveal my ignorance about creatine, but other than semantics what's the difference?

Steroids are more effective, change body hormones and chemistry, and have a much higher potential to do the individual harm than creatine, which is practically harmless.

Follow? How can anyone not remember one of the stupidest lines ever spoken but then again we are talking about the pill popper so ... I bet Prince's new guitar sounds real sweet when you are baked and banging on the strings ...

I am sorry, I can never oblige your request not to crap all over the Dolts. There is just so much fodder to choose from from the sleaziest org in football.

So basically, no, we're going to derail a civil conversation because you want to discuss something unrelated. If only there were dozens of threads dedicated to having this exact conversation you want to have!

If only!

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Quiet down, DOLTS fan! You are a guest here! :dum: :manning: :zombie:

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Steroids are more effective, change body hormones and chemistry, and have a much higher potential to do the individual harm than creatine, which is practically harmless.

So what is creatine exactly? Is it just a name for a product or is it actually like a specific compound? That's kinda what I was getting at

So what is creatine exactly? Is it just a name for a product or is it actually like a specific compound? That's kinda what I was getting at

It's a naturally occurring substance (like in beef) found in skeletal muscle tissue that provides energy for muscle contractions during periods of intense exercise. To fully saturate muscle tissues, a person would need to eat an impossibly sustainable large amount of creatine-containing foods, or a person could supplement with creatine, which is relatively inexpensive.

Google "creatine" for more basics like this:

It's a naturally occurring substance (like in beef) found in skeletal muscle tissue that provides energy for muscle contractions during periods of intense exercise. To fully saturate muscle tissues, a person would need to eat an impossibly sustainable large amount of creatine-containing foods, or a person could supplement with creatine, which is relatively inexpensive.

Google "creatine" for more basics like this:

That doesn't sound all that different than testosterone or HgH.

Edit: aside from potential side effects.

It's pimped like a wonder-drug to market it, but creatine isn't even in the same ballpark as steroids with regards to effectiveness and risk.

What I was trying to articulate was that it's essentially a naturally occurring substance in your body that can increase your performance at increased levels.

Back