Documentary - "What The Health"

LOL that movie is full of bad science and misinformation or misrepresentation of information.

There is a lot wrong with the standard American diet and the movie rightly points out the garbage food sold by big American manufacturers but absolutely does not provide legit evidence to adopt a vegan diet.

Do some actual research on vegan diets besides ‘studies’ created and promoted by pro-vegans.

One of the big flaws in how vegan or even vegetarian diets are promoted is faulty comparisons. For example, many studies will compare a vegan diet to a standard American diet and note all the positives of the former and then conclude avoiding meat is the answer. What they don’t ever do is compare a vegan diet to a proper complete diet that includes meat. Vegetarian studies are also guilty of this. If I take a vegetarian diet and stick to everything in it except replacing some of the plant protein with chicken breast every day, am I worse off? Studies never bother answering that question. Probably because the answer is no.

Anyway on topic, you have to understand that most of these types of documentaries are propaganda. They are trying to sell you on this particular lifestyle and are using junk science and gross misinformation to do it. I have nothing against vegan diets so switch to one if you want to, but don’t do it based on weak ‘health’ claims like in this doc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's the easiest thing in the world to say "bad science". Which one of those medical professionals would you care to debate?

Well, it's the easiest thing in the world to say "bad science". Which one of those medical professionals would you care to debate?

Google it. There are tons of other 'experts' who spoke out against the movie. Plenty of them debunked some of the more ridiculous claims it made (ie. eggs = cigarettes). The movie is a mix of junk science, bad science or cherry-picked weak science/studies to support their position. It's a classic case of "We believe X is good, what evidence can we find to support that?"

I'm not saying everything presented is wrong or that you shouldn't be a vegan if you want to be one, but I'm just warning you to think critically about what you're watching. Just because someone has a fancy title doesn't mean what they are saying is true or even widely accepted within the scientific/nutritionist community.

Most of these sorts of documentaries are made by people supporting the message and work to convince you, rather than simply inform based on facts and evidence to let you draw your own conclusions.

Wait, they equate eggs to cigarettes?

Seriously?

A “scientist” let’s those words in comparison flow from his face?

Thank you. I will not waste my time.

Wait, they equate eggs to cigarettes?

Seriously?

A “scientist” let’s those words in comparison flow from his face?

Thank you. I will not waste my time.

Eating one egg per day is as bad for you as smoking 5 cigarettes per day.

Eating one serving of processed meat per day increases your risk of diabetes by 50%.

I mean LOL. Ironically the scientifically proven health-related issues linked to sugar are downplayed completely. Meat is evil and the doc was fine with using cherrypicked or bullshit stats based on weak science to prove their hypothesis.

If anything, sensationalist docs like this do more harm than good in promoting a vegan lifestyle. It's a perfect example of confirmation bias and makes no attempt to explore contradictory science. It's glorified fear-mongering with a slick presentation and celeb endorsements.

LOL that movie is full of bad science and misinformation or misrepresentation of information.

There is a lot wrong with the standard American diet and the movie rightly points out the garbage food sold by big American manufacturers but absolutely does not provide legit evidence to adopt a vegan diet.

Do some actual research on vegan diets besides ‘studies’ created and promoted by pro-vegans.

One of the big flaws in how vegan or even vegetarian diets are promoted is faulty comparisons. For example, many studies will compare a vegan diet to a standard American diet and note all the positives of the former and then conclude avoiding meat is the answer. What they don’t ever do is compare a vegan diet to a proper complete diet that includes meat. Vegetarian studies are also guilty of this. If I take a vegetarian diet and stick to everything in it except replacing some of the plant protein with chicken breast every day, am I worse off? Studies never bother answering that question. Probably because the answer is no.

Anyway on topic, you have to understand that most of these types of documentaries are propaganda. They are trying to sell you on this particular lifestyle and are using junk science and gross misinformation to do it. I have nothing against vegan diets so switch to one if you want to, but don’t do it based on weak ‘health’ claims like in this doc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is the problem with the Canadian diet? I just a real quick check & its seems that being overweight & not very active up there is a big problem.

So what is the problem with the Canadian diet? I just a real quick check & its seems that being overweight & not very active up there is a big problem.

lol what? Are you taking issue with me saying the average American eats like shit in response to a documentary targeted at Americans?

I'll play along though - NORTH AMERICANS generally have terrible diets. Canadians aren't much better and suffer from many of the same health issues related to poor diets as our neighbors to the south.

You might not know/remember, but I am absolutely not one of those Canadians who takes any opportunity to take shots at Americans. But let's not pretend obesity isn't worse there than it is here.

I'm not saying everything presented is wrong or that you shouldn't be a vegan if you want to be one, but I'm just warning you to think critically about what you're watching. Just because someone has a fancy title doesn't mean what they are saying is true or even widely accepted within the scientific/nutritionist community.

Most of these sorts of documentaries are made by people supporting the message and work to convince you, rather than simply inform based on facts and evidence to let you draw your own conclusions.

Believe me, I think critically about things.

And the many organizations that fervently provide financial support to these various government cancer agencies also know how to fill up Google searches with information highly favorable to their interests......so it is buyer beware all around.

When that one Gov't doc (I forget which cancer agency he headed) got up and ended the interview, you know he was feeling the heat of a possible loss of revenue if he continued - financial considerations trump patient welfare every time.

I watched this film earlier this year and it's very misleading, at best. Basically a guy with an obvious agenda just Googles a point he already wants to make, then calls leaders of industries to ask questions, and if they don't take his call it is because they are evil people trying to hide a secret, evil plan. It is full of nonsense and crap, with enough facts peppered in to make it seem believable to those who don't keep up with nutrition-science.

http://time.com/4897133/vegan-netflix-what-the-health/

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-the-health-a-movie-with-an-agenda/

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...-no-good-science-in-the-movie-what-the-health

And on and on and on...

Nutrition and exercise is a personal hobby/passion of mine that I have actively researched for almost twenty years now. I can support almost anything that motivates people to eat fewer processed foods and more whole foods near their natural state, but equating eggs with cigarettes and especially saying that sugar is healthy ignores nearly all the research that has come out in the last two decades with regards to combating mortality along with preventing and reversing disease.

In fact, I believe that film argued saturated fat causes diabetes, which couldn't be more off-base. Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat into the fat cells. As more fat is gained, the tissues become insulin resistant, meaning it takes more insulin to store nutrients. The pancreas is put under more and more strain so that it cannot create enough insulin to store all the nutrients that are consumed. Hello Type-II Diabetes. Eventually the pancreas quits altogether. Hello Type-I Diabetes. It has absolutely nothing to do with saturated fat...at all.

Eat unprocessed meats and eggs. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Eat a few nuts and seeds. Eat healthy fats. Cut out all processed carbohydrates. It is really very simple, and for 95% of the population with health and weight issues, this will cause the fat to melt off effortlessly and blood-markers to improve significantly. Diseases caused by a low-level, systemic inflammation will improve, if not disappear (IBS, skin conditions, asthma, RA, thyroid disorders, heart disease, Type-II diabetes).

A better video is, "Love Paleo" which is available on Amazon Prime Video.

I watched this film earlier this year and it's very misleading, at best. Basically a guy with an obvious agenda just Googles a point he already wants to make, then calls leaders of industries to ask questions, and if they don't take his call it is because they are evil people trying to hide a secret, evil plan. It is full of nonsense and crap, with enough facts peppered in to make it seem believable to those who don't keep up with nutrition-science.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...what-the-health-documentary-review-vegan-diet

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...-no-good-science-in-the-movie-what-the-health

And on and on and on...

Nutrition and exercise is a personal hobby/passion of mine that I have actively researched for almost twenty years now. I can support almost anything that motivates people to eat fewer processed foods and more whole foods near their natural state, but equating eggs with cigarettes and especially saying that sugar is healthy ignores nearly all the research that has come out in the last two decades with regards to combating mortality along with preventing and reversing disease.

In fact, I believe that film argued saturated fat causes diabetes, which couldn't be more off-base. Carbohydrates drive insulin, and insulin drives fat into the fat cells. As more fat is gained, the tissues become insulin resistant, meaning it takes more insulin to store nutrients. The pancreas is put under more and more strain so that it cannot create enough insulin to store all the nutrients that are consumed. Hello Type-II Diabetes. Eventually the pancreas quits altogether. Hello Type-I Diabetes. It has absolutely nothing to do with saturated fat...at all.

Eat unprocessed meats and eggs. Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Eat a few nuts and seeds. Eat healthy fats. Cut out all processed carbohydrates. It is really very simple, and for 95% of the population with health and weight issues, this will cause the fat to melt off effortlessly and blood-markers to improve significantly. Diseases caused by a low-level, systemic inflammation will improve, if not disappear (IBS, skin conditions, asthma, RA, thyroid disorders, heart disease, Type-II diabetes).

Thanks for your sleuthing TMack...!

And on and on and on...

Much better advice.

:clap:

People are guilty of over-complicating 'health and fitness' more than anything else ever honestly.

Vegans die younger. What else do you need to know?

EDIT: To be clear, I've got nothing against vegans or whatever. Hey...that's more dead animals for me to eat! I am 100% in favor of veganism.

Of course....that would mean the extinction of a lot of species....chickens, cows, pigs, goats....all the things we only keep around because they are tasty....the surest trait to have for preservation of species...be tasty.

Thanks for your sleuthing TMack...!

His post is fantastic health advice and in line with everything I've seen put forth by people I trust and mirrors my personal experience.

Sugar and processed foods are what's killing us.

If you cut out processed foods you can be healthy on almost any well planned diet.

I have a health condition that I was diagnosed with a couple of years ago which inspired me to eat healthier.

It's nothing serious, basically side effects of eating crap for 40 years.

I've always believed in "the further you get from the earth, the less healthy the food". In other words...the less processed, the better. I avoid fatty things, but I eat nuts quite a bit....which are loaded with fat...but it's natural fat, it belongs there, it's what human beings evolved to eat.

I don't think you can lump in, for example, "saturated fats". I did that, for awhile....but there is a whole lot of difference between eating a summer sausage, that is 20% saturated fat, and eating a bowl of nuts, which may be 20% saturated fat.

I also try to avoid GMO foods. That is a discussion for another day, but I know an extraordinary number of kids who have allergies to common foods, and I think it is because of protein molecules that are slightly altered from what they have been for thousands of years, and I think some folks' immune systems just say "I don't recognize that, could be poisonous", even if most of our immune systems say "Meh...close enough, come on in."

That's not to say I don't cheat....I totally cheat...but only on weekends. 5 days a week, I eat healthy, the right stuff.

The biggest issue with going vegan is that you need cholesterol to form opinions. Which means if you don't supplement that somehow you'll become increasingly bendy when you talk and feel compelled to tell everyone how virtuous your diet makes you.

In other words, everyone will hate you and actively avoid being around you.

Back