Dwight Freeny may become highest paid defensive player EVER ??

daedge

Reaction score
Website
www.coltfreaks.com
Dwight Freeney may become highest paid defensive player EVER !!

According to the Indianapolis Star, three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney could become the highest-paid defensive player in league history. Preliminary talks have begun between the team and Gary Wichard, Freeney's agent. The problem hinges on finding middle ground on guaranteed money. New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant signed a seven-year, $63 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees.

Opps spelt Freeney wrong on subject, wont let me edit it though.

They forgot the contract Clements signed for 80 mil, but if Freeney gets his way he'll probably be a 90-100 millinon $ man.

The thing is, will Indy just hit him with the tag again next year ? How will they be able to manage their cap with both Manning and Freeney having such vast contracts ?

Since the last years of those deals are meaningless anyway, why doesn't someone have a final year salary of one billion dollars written in?

Wouldn't that be cool to be able to call yourself the first billion dollar player?

Oh, and with regard to the subject matter, up until last year I was much higher on Freeney than most of my fellow Pats fans. For Indy's sake I hope he was injured in 2006, though because he wasn't the same guy.

Based solely on last year he doesn't even belong in the top 20, IMHO.

I wonder if Dwight will do that really wikkid nizzah spin move he's so famous for just before puts pen to contract

gawd but he is to die for

does anyone remember what Seymour got in the way of guaranteed $$ on signing a 4 yr extension last year?

I love Freeney, but Sanders is the heart and soul of our defense.

As long as they take care of Sanders, I'm happy.

As for Freeney's statistical dropoff, I think that had a lot to do with the loss of Simon in the middle.

IF they can fix that (and Booger wasn't/isn't the answer), then Freeney will be fine.

cka203 on 06-20-2007 at 07:28 PM said:
I love Freeney, but Sanders is the heart and soul of our defense.

As long as they take care of Sanders, I'm happy.

As for Freeney's statistical dropoff, I think that had a lot to do with the loss of Simon in the middle.

IF they can fix that (and Booger wasn't/isn't the answer), then Freeney will be fine.

I'm not just talking about his statistical dropoff. He just wasn't a force off the edge at all last year. I can buy that guys can impact a game without showing up in the stat sheet, but Freeney rarely did much more than a decent DE last year.

You may be right that it may have been due to terrible DT play, but shouldn't the best defensive player in the league be able to overcome that?

I for one fully advocate the Colts making at least one player the highest paid player at his position each and every off-season.

RoadGrader on 06-20-2007 at 07:23 PM said:
I wonder if Dwight will do that really wikkid nizzah spin move he's so famous for just before puts pen to contract

gawd but he is to die for

does anyone remember what Seymour got in the way of guaranteed $$ on signing a 4 yr extension last year?

IIRC, Seymour got somewhere in the neighborhood of $24MM in guarantees.

Nice neighborhood to be in....probably don't allow dogs though. :harumph:

3 Point Stan on 06-20-2007 at 09:01 PM said:
I for one fully advocate the Colts making at least one player the highest paid player at his position each and every off-season.

I couldn't agree more.

I think Freeney is the best defensive player in NFL history. He's better than Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork combined. The Colts should make him the highest-paid player by a long shot. Whatever Manning AND Brady make, Freeney should make that, times two. :thumb:

Oswlek on 06-20-2007 at 06:07 PM said:
Since the last years of those deals are meaningless anyway, why doesn't someone have a final year salary of one billion dollars written in?

Wouldn't that be cool to be able to call yourself the first billion dollar player?

Oh, and with regard to the subject matter, up until last year I was much higher on Freeney than most of my fellow Pats fans. For Indy's sake I hope he was injured in 2006, though because he wasn't the same guy.

Based solely on last year he doesn't even belong in the top 20, IMHO.
Exactly. Just because the contract says 90 million, doesn't mean he is going to get that much.

Freeney will get his money. And he is worth it too. Pass rushers in general are sought after comodities, but they are paramount to everything in a cover 2 defense. Without a pass rush, the whole thing falls apart.

As far as Freeney statistical drop off last year?

Well that can easily be explained by several things:

No one passed the ball on us. Why pass when you can run for 200 yards a game? If the QB doesn't drop back, you can't get sacks. Not to mention that he was consistantly double, and at times triple teamed.

You get triple teamed, and you've done your job, because that means your other pass rusher (Paging Robert Mathis!) is all by himself.

He was also nursing, I believe, a hamstring injury. Not certain exactly what, but there was something wrong with his leg last year that kinda nagged throughout the season.

Without Dwight our D-line gets significantly worse, and we can ill afford to get worse at the second most important part of a football team.

The Colts should pay him whatever he is asking for. In fact, they should double it.

Back