Farewell JC Jackson! To the Bolts - $82.5M!

The patron Saint of ex-Pats who did well elsewhere was Nick Buoniconti.

Plenty of guys did well enough after leaving in free agency, but Nick was part of a perfect season, won rings and ended up in the HOF.

Mike Haynes was maybe even better. The best Cornerback that ever played. Fuck Deion Sanders who never tackled anybody. Haynes was
the most painful loss we ever had.

The worst part of losing those guys was the national narrative that congratulated both for getting out of a second-class organization
and becoming who they were meant to be elsewhere. They were pitied for wasting valuable time from their careers as Patriots.

This is yet another reason I have savored the salty tears of our opponents for decades. I remember that pity.

Trust Belichick. You can't keep them all. It's high-stakes poker and if you can't win every hand then you take satisfaction on winning more pots
than anybody else.
Great points, and those were painful back in the day (don't remember Buoniconti, but do remember Haynes). I was thinking more during BB's tenure, the salary cap era, and pats not being a laughingstock.

I figured that, but just threw those names out because those two guys were better than any of the guys we've lost to free agency.

That's not to say we haven't had to say goodbye to some fine players, like Seymour, who would probably be no. 3 on my list. Deion Branch
was another one that hurt a lot, although we eventually won him back. The most painful of the recent losses for me was Joe Thuney.

That guy did everything right while he was here and carried that to Kansas City. Whether he was worth the contract or not can't be proved
either way, but it sucks to lose guys like him -- one of the best guards in the league and just coming into his prime.

I think we got him for a compensatory pick for losing......Wilfork? Not sure, so we had him for 4 years at short money. That's a lot of bang for the buck
and a hell of a value, but that's a guy you don't want to lose.

All I know is you can't waste time on rookies who take 2 to 3 years to contribute and once you get them right then it's time for them to cash in and
somebody else gets the benefit of their services.

It's a hard thing to build a team in this League. I put my doubts and opinions aside (most of the time) and let Bill figure out how many beans go in
which basket, but some guys should get to be cornerstones and I wish Joe Thuney was one of them.

The one we lost that pissed me off the most was Curtis Martin to Parcells and the Jets.
Parcells' infamous poison pill contract was a kick in the nuts that made me want to kick Parcells there over & over.
The NFL should never have allowed that contract the way it was worded. I'm still pissed at Parcells for that and so many other trollish shenanigans.

The one we lost that pissed me off the most was Curtis Martin to Parcells and the Jets.
Parcells' infamous poison pill contract was a kick in the nuts that made me want to kick Parcells there over & over.
The NFL should never have allowed that contract the way it was worded. I'm still pissed at Parcells for that and so many other trollish shenanigans.
Whenever the Patriots draft someone who was injured or has a health issue coming out of out college, I always remember Curtis Martin, and think "sometimes it works out."

Let's hope Shaun Wade is the next JC because otherwise Pats are really thin in the secondary.

So it comes out to ~17m per year. That's not out of this world money, but the structure appears such that he's getting 40m of that in the first two years, which is the inverse of the structure the Pats could work with. He wants that money now, and the Chargers obliged. Potentially team friendly, too, since if JC drops off in 3-4+ years, they aren't on the hook for a bunch of money. Makes sense for both parties. I think JC is a good CB, but I don't think he's #1, big money good, so I have little issue with moving on. Ultimately think the Chargers are still gonna Charger, despite having some talent in spots.

Yeah, 17 million a year is about what I'd expect he'd get, but that front loaded contract is something Pats would have trouble matching. Seems Chargers are all in.

I'm not particularly bothered that JC went elsewhere, but my worry is who his replacement will be.

As a possible spin/saving grace, JC's last game as a Patriot was a woeful one, so there's that...

So it comes out to ~17m per year. That's not out of this world money, but the structure appears such that he's getting 40m of that in the first two years, which is the inverse of the structure the Pats could work with. He wants that money now, and the Chargers obliged. Potentially team friendly, too, since if JC drops off in 3-4+ years, they aren't on the hook for a bunch of money. Makes sense for both parties. I think JC is a good CB, but I don't think he's #1, big money good, so I have little issue with moving on. Ultimately think the Chargers are still gonna Charger, despite having some talent in spots.
since they have an assload of cap space, can't blame them for trying to kill it while herbert's still cheap.

This draft is a good one for CB. So, cb and lb are priorities. I think that if they get a good slot receiver it will make the wr group that we have now better.

A front heavy contract is cap friendly short term isnt it? Bonuses paid up front are spread over the contract against the salary cap.

If the 28m in year 1 is a 20m signing bonus and 8m salary, thats a 12m cap hit in year 1.

A front heavy contract is cap friendly short term isnt it? Bonuses paid up front are spread over the contract against the salary cap.

If the 28m in year 1 is a 20m signing bonus and 8m salary, thats a 12m cap hit in year 1.

Wow. All in.

Where's BOU when you need a Chargers take :coffee:

Mack, JC. Bolts are all-in.
they were already second banana to the Ram's in an apathetic City to begin with, and now the Rams won an SB.
Bolts have to go big

BB better spend the money he saved wisely - this did not make the T.E.A.M. better today. time will tell. in BB we trust - i guess.
Yes, it actually will. This place has more babies than a hospital nursery. If he paid Jackson that, you'd be whining. He didn't pay Jackson, you're whining. What did you want him to do? Because, if he tagged him, they'd be virtually nothing else for anyone. Please tell us how you would have retained JC Jackson. And don't even suggest 82.5 million. Absurd.

Last edited:
This is where Bill shines. He will not overpay these players and will happily let other teams cripple their salary caps and then in a couple of years when said players have not lived up to expectations, they come back to the Patriots for a fraction of their previous contract.

Boom.

Back