Game: Name a Band's Best Song

Love "Shine on ..." also Dogs and interstellar Overdrive. I like One of these days but its prolly down around 7 or 8. not sure why.

cheers

The entire Animals album is fantastic. Kind of overlooked when it comes to Floyd records.

I've been to the Panama Canal, and took a boat ride on Gatun Lake, then visited with the Embera natives for the afternoon.
Cool, get in any night time cruising? Second best was midwatch in the North Pacific between Alaska and Hawaii, long gentle swells, crescent moon, big sky, another warm night ... the only thing that would have made it more perfect (besides a cuddly lady) would have been the creak of rigging instead of a chugging old diesel.

Here's another great country lady who penned a number of hits for other artists before she worked up the nerve to perform some of her own work - they had a great video of her in a slinky dress singing this tune. wuv

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a0Ogfkx4N-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Whoops! Here she is after all.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uD0A3znuBjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OT busting her bra story is still resonating in my music tonight!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ncLZD4KFUD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see if our interweb love affair is going to get anywhere I'll need to kidnap you to a remote cabin and do a Kathy Bates on you for your own good. :doh:

For my twin brother MikieMo, our song:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Da9sc6YDBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yes that is a theme song (but dear god is my favorite) and it reminds me of a Sam Cooke song 'wonderful world'

Fleetwood Mac = Landslide

Led Zeppelin = Kashmir

Chicago = Saturday In the Park

My addition - Cream

Best Song: I Feel Free

The Final Cut is overlooked way more than Animals. Very underrated album.
Don't know if it's more or less but it doesn't get its due. Two Suns in the Sunset is Awesome.

Cheers, BostonTim

J. Geils Band - Musta Got Lost

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love

Aerosmith - Chip Away At The Stone

The Kinks - Misfits

Led Zeppelin - In The Evening

Black Sabboth - Iron Man

I'll chime in with a few of my all-time favorite bands:

Queen - The Show Must Go On
Styx - Blue Collar Man
The Cars - Let the Good Times Roll
Led Zep - Going to California
Scorpions - Still Loving You
AC/DC - T.N.T
Def Leppard - Love Bites

I'll give you three of my favorite singers and I think anyone will be hard-pressed to disagree:

Elton John - Your Song

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Billy Joel - Piano Man

I'll give you three of my favorite singers and I think anyone will be hard-pressed to disagree:

Elton John - Your Song

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Billy Joel - Piano Man

The thing about great singers/bands, is that there will always be disagreement.

For me:

Elton John - Funeral for a Friend

Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

For me:

I really like Elton John, and Funeral For A Friend is a gr8 tune, but he has done some much gr8 work that he may get more disagreements than almost anyone else.

For me, his best song is "The One".

For me:

You know what's funny is I have always thought of myself as a "deep tracks" guy, but this thread makes me realize that, imo, a singer/band's "greatest" song is usually one of their most well-known hits, often even a "signature song".

That being said, I'm trying to be unbiased when determining a "greatest" song - in other words it's not neccessarily my "favorite" song. For example, I love "Rocket Man" - probably my personal favorite by John. But, again imo, I don't think it can measure against "Your Song" as being his "greatest".

That too being said, your picks are definately worthy of being in the conversation, at any rate.

+1 to the thread starter - it's really gotten me thinking....

I'll chime in with a few of my all-time favorite bands:

Queen - The Show Must Go On
Styx - Blue Collar Man
The Cars - Let the Good Times Roll
Led Zep - Going to California
Scorpions - Still Loving You
AC/DC - T.N.T
Def Leppard - Love Bites

Considering the style of music Def Leppard does, I SHOULD like them, but I don't.

I usually change the station when their music comes on. I really don't know why I dislike them so much, I just do.

For me:

wuv and +1 on Billy Joel

Elton John for me is Daniel, but it is because it is personal to me. Hold me closer, Tony Danza is another fave.

wuv and +1 on Billy Joel

Elton John for me is Daniel, but it is because it is personal to me. Hold me closer, Tony Danza is another fave.

Both great choices for John.

Tiny Dancer is probably the only song that would make me think twice about "Your Song" being his best work. It's definately a strong contender.

Considering the style of music Def Leppard does, I SHOULD like them, but I don't.

I usually change the station when their music comes on. I really don't know why I dislike them so much, I just do.

Def Leppard is more of a fun time Band, or perhaps even "Girly", their Music is not profound in the slightest, and they dont have any stand out Musicians either, but I grew up on them and appreciate allot of it.

If for nothing else, the Rick Allen aspect is truly inspirational, most Bands would have likely quit on him, and most people would have quit after losing an arm, but they stuck together and still today put on a really great live show.

Elton John is not a huge favorite, but the Madman Across The Water album has a lot of good music on it. The title track is my favorite.

Here's another set to consider:

Band: U2
Best Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love) - there are a lot tht could eb added. My favorite is probably 40.

REM - It's the End of the World As We Know It

Back