Goodell must be thrilled

Strong points, but one reason why Goodell would not be thrilled is because a lot of people in New England USED to be fans of the entire league and would spend a lot of time and money in watching neutral games and buying genuine NFL shield merchandise, along with watching a ton of NFL Network and frequenting their website.

I don't do that anymore and I think there are a lot of other Patriots fans that feel the same way. It's a small thing, perhaps, but I can only stomach the NFL to the extent I do in order to follow my team and my team only.

It's us against the world more than ever.

I can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That has been my mindset going back to last season. And it is not just NE either. Many fanbases are not stomaching the NFL beyond their own team. Goodell has effectively made NFL fans hate his league but as you say, we love our team so we continue but at a much smaller mindshare.

You asked about ESPN though and any evidence that they are losing viewers. That was what I was responding to. ESPN has a terrible business model because so much of its revenue is subscriber based and they charge the highest rate of any channel. They are in real trouble because they failed to see the move away from cable to alternative sports programming or the fact that the younger generation does not sit and watch games but consumes FF stats and watches highlights on YouTube or some other website.

The NFL of course will be fine as they will just pick another partner to show its games if need be.

go back and reread the post i quoted and my question, the context of my question was about them losing pats fans viewership because of all this, not the business model of the four letter network.

agreed that their business model faces issues if current trends continue, and believe me there is not going to be any tears from me over that.

go back and reread the post i quoted and my question, the context of my question was about them losing pats fans viewership because of all this, not the business model of the four letter network.

agreed that their business model faces issues if current trends continue, and believe me there is not going to be any tears from me over that.

Yes. I see your context was the NFL and not ESPN. I will be very interested to see what viewership is like for the NFL this season in NE. I think Pats games will remain the same as we love our team but I will be very interested in the other games. The draft was the lowest rated in NE so it had a big effect there.

I really want ESPN to burn to the ground and very well may get my wish. :toast:

Strong points, but one reason why Goodell would not be thrilled is because a lot of people in New England USED to be fans of the entire league and would spend a lot of time and money in watching neutral games and buying genuine NFL shield merchandise, along with watching a ton of NFL Network and frequenting their website.

I don't do that anymore and I think there are a lot of other Patriots fans that feel the same way. It's a small thing, perhaps, but I can only stomach the NFL to the extent I do in order to follow my team and my team only.

I've scaled way back in recent years, especially last year. Outside of Pats games, I only watch Redskins games...that's if I watch any games at all this year. Still strongly leaning towards the negative side on that.

I've scaled way back in recent years, especially last year. Outside of Pats games, I only watch Redskins games...that's if I watch any games at all this year. Still strongly leaning towards the negative side on that.

How much do you even want to watch other games? The product is so bad. Outside of the Pats, GB and Carolina and maybe Pitt, the product sucks so bad. QB play is horrific as QBs like Fitz push the ball around. The coaching is also atrocious. I mean I could trumpet my disdain for this league due to Goodell and what he has done to the Pats but truth be told the product has been getting increasingly worse the last 3-5 years with the new rules and the college kids coming out not knowing how to play in a pro style offense. I would have stopped watching as much even without DG I think.

I don't think Goodell will be necessarily pleased. His huge ego certainly won't. And while he might scoff on the outside telling freinds that he's the one laughing all the way to the bank, powerful men are egomaniacs at heart and he will be quite bitter at how the Patriots and their fans (the best in the league) have turned on him and ridiculed him.

And it will have affected revenue. ESPN as discussed for one, Patriot fans have boycotted them en masse. But even the NFL itself. From my POV as a European watcher I would normally have paid in full for the year for NFL's GAMEPASS which gives you all the games and NFLN etc etc to watch on Apple TV or your PC, Tablet etc. I didn't do it last season, I said f**k that, they're not getting my money and I watched games instead on BBC or wherever else I could. Yes, that's still watching games and technically I'd still be a 'consumer', but things like the NFL GAMEPASS are lucrative and I was not the only one who did this.

This season I will subscribe to GAMEPASS but only for the Patriot games, a one team subscription. I'm not watching the others games or content.

How much do you even want to watch other games? The product is so bad. Outside of the Pats, GB and Carolina and maybe Pitt, the product sucks so bad. QB play is horrific as QBs like Fitz push the ball around. The coaching is also atrocious. I mean I could trumpet my disdain for this league due to Goodell and what he has done to the Pats but truth be told the product has been getting increasingly worse the last 3-5 years with the new rules and the college kids coming out not knowing how to play in a pro style offense. I would have stopped watching as much even without DG I think.

Like I said, I'm a big 'Skins fan. They look like they're on the edge of turning a corner. Jordan Reed is an absolute stud, and I strongly believe that Cousins is about to take the next step forward.

Also makes it a lot easier considering I've lived most of my life in their market.

You obviously missed a few of my threads. :coffee:
or mine for that matter

Thomas has a strong point. The NFL attacks the franchise, ensures it's not competing on a level playing field for the foreseable future which pisses off an entire fan base with the only real risk being a loss of a large portion of those very fans and the revenue they provide to the league.

Instead of facing a fan backlash resulting in damage to the bottom line, the Patriots, and by extension, the league, are more popular with New England fans than ever and the money continues to roll in.

Goodell got it all. A damaged Patriots franchise holding them to means of parity which exist outside the rules the rest of the league follows, thrilling his bosses and the fans of other teams, a big win for his ego, and no adverse effect to the bottom line which is the only criteria he cares about.

Goodell doesn't care that Pats fans despise him nor does he care that Bob Kraft lost his reputation within the league as well as the love and respect of his team's fans and is now almost universally an object of scorn.

Why wouldn't Goodell be thrilled?
he is doing the :dbanana: dance. And he should be. New England is an even bigger market because now they nationally want the patriots to lose and get their ass handed to them.

show me this loss in viewership. there are just as many people talking about and linking to four letter network stories here as ever. i highly doubt the ratings of the four letter network are down significantly here in NE.

goodell goes nowhere unless the owners feel the economic winds of change.

Hell goodell just won unlimited power over the players in the 2nd court of appeals, he found a way to rid the rest of the owners of brady for four games over nothing, took draft picks away from the pats, and he has weakened kraft as a lot of other owners seem to have wanted.

thomas and awte are right, keep spending money on, or watching on tv, or clicking links of the nfl, its owners, and its media whores and you continue to keep goodell in office.
I prefer the link be attached with the article so I do not have to clickbait.

but that is me.

I do not turn on ANY ESPN unless they are the only carrier of a Patriots game. I stopped watching it, cold turkey, of all their Shows with Jaws, Hodge, Tedy..... I just do not believe anyone on that station after Tedy.

I'm on board with all of this with the unfortunate extra of having lost interest in the Pats as well as the rest on the league. I cancelled my NFL Rewind last year and watched maybe three games in their entirety. I just couldn't get into it. I was starting to get excited about the Pats this go round until Brady's suspension was reinstated now I'm back to being underwhelmed by the approaching season. I'm hoping at some point I'll get a little passion back.

Not sure how much reduced interest in the league overall effects the bottom line. For every person who no longer watches random games or buys NFL products there two people buying into a fantasy league or ten.

I'm on board with all of this with the unfortunate extra of having lost interest in the Pats as well as the rest on the league. I cancelled my NFL Rewind last year and watched maybe three games in their entirety. I just couldn't get into it. I was starting to get excited about the Pats this go round until Brady's suspension was reinstated now I'm back to being underwhelmed by the approaching season. I'm hoping at some point I'll get a little passion back.

Not sure how much reduced interest in the league overall effects the bottom line. For every person who no longer watches random games or buys NFL products there two people buying into a fantasy league or ten.

on the one hand i am glad you are not supporting the league, but purely on a selfish level i want your insights on the game...

If Roger has lost you, and the snmart people like you, then it's way worse than he knows.

Tough year for you and your family on that other front as well I imagine. Heartfelt gratitude and prayers for you, your family, and all your brothers and sisters for the sacrifices you make, the risks you take every day.

Be well.

Cheers, BostonTim

I found myself watching less NFL & far more college football last year than I have in years. I'm another Planeteer who cancelled NFL Rewind last year. I also cancelled EXPN Insider & my SI subscription last year.

I still watch NFL Network and I'm struck by how much Cowboys coverage there is this year. Wonder why...

I had an odd random thought prior to the Kevin Faulk induction ceremony last night that I'd like to share.

As the ceremony began, the team's Minuteman fife and drum contingent marched through the crowd to the stage playing a tune appropriate to revolutionary times and it struck me that in our distant past those American Patriots who opposed the tyranny represented by King George and his british subjects may have drawn inspiration from hearing that very same song. It was quite well-played and a nice touch.

Not to get overly maudlin here, but it hit me that hundreds of years later this organization and fanbase is trying to oppose the tyranny imposed on it by the Pizza King of New York and as they gathered on the plaza to celebrate the achievements of Kevin Faulk, it was clear in various comments from the dais and from the reactions of the large, somewhat intense crowd, that our people are well aware we are embroiled in our own little version of taxation without representation.

Folks are still quite upset and are likely to remain so for a long while. This isn't blowing over anytime soon.

AWTE could be writing my posts for me.

I have lost interest in the product. NFL football and the Patriots were my sport of passion but that's gone now. I have dropped the the level on interested observer for the pats and disinterested cynic for the rest of the league.

The league has for years focused their interest on increasing market share which might bring 100 casual fans to the table but they risk turning off passionate fans with the swirling controversy that amuses the mob.

I found myself watching less NFL & far more college football last year than I have in years. I'm another Planeteer who cancelled NFL Rewind last year. I also cancelled EXPN Insider & my SI subscription last year.

I still watch NFL Network and I'm struck by how much Cowboys coverage there is this year. Wonder why...

You think there's more than normal? It's always about the Cowboys because...America's Team! and...Most Valuable NFL Franchise!

I used to watch all Sunday long, every Monday night.

then it was Thursdays

but I am only Watching the Pats game unless I am at a place showing additional games. I hate the NFL Business but I love the sport. I miss watching games on a nice fall day but I just really hate Goodell and the NFL. Oh well maybe when C. Rice become commish I will watch.

I used to watch all Sunday long, every Monday night.

then it was Thursdays

but I am only Watching the Pats game unless I am at a place showing additional games. I hate the NFL Business but I love the sport. I miss watching games on a nice fall day but I just really hate Goodell and the NFL. Oh well maybe when C. Rice become commish I will watch.

I've changed my mind with the thought of Rice being the next commissioner.

They need a super strong in his convictions, elderly, grandpa type that has some ... dare I say it.... integrity. And morals. Is steadfast and honest and knows the game, it's nuances, and the relationships within it. Someone that's already made his way in life and has the backbone to stand up and tell this ownership group how f'd up they are at times and the long term damage they are doing.

I know. Won't happen.

They will place a doe eyed Condi in power, and she'll fall right in line with their collective wishes.

They need a super strong in his convictions, elderly, grandpa type that has some ... dare I say it.... integrity. And morals. Is steadfast and honest and knows the game, it's nuances, and the relationships within it. Someone that's already made his way in life and has the backbone to stand up and tell this ownership group how f'd up they are at times and the long term damage they are doing.

I know. Won't happen.

They will place a doe eyed Condi in power, and she'll fall right in line with their collective wishes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MUBnxqEVKlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know. Won't happen.

Trump? I know no integrity but you have to fight fire with fire.

Trump? I know no integrity but you have to fight fire with fire.

Ha. If it's Trump, you can bet the Bills will be swamped with suspensions and losses of draft picks.

They wouldn't sell him the team, after all. :coffee:

If Trump's the commissioner, the Patriots will be in fine shape, as well. They've always treated him fairly.

Back