Has Brady Lost His Mojo?

I know this guy isn't a member of Our Team anymore, or if it's bad manners to discuss players on other teams (except for Random Football News), but our long lost QB has been playing like dog shit for the Bucs. He said he'd retire when he couldn't cut it anymore, but has said he doesn't plan to retire after this season. So whaddya think? Should he bow out now before he craps all over his legend, or is this year simply growing pains of moving to a new team/new coaches/new teammates/new playbook, etc. and he'll be back to playing great again next year? Opinions, please.
:patslogo26:

This season the Bucs faced murders row from mid October till late November, then played the Girl Scouts the last four games.

Looking at the schedule in September or August you could see the narrative.

The truth is somewhere in between. Yes Brady had an unbelievable statistical season. He did, and it can’t be taken away.
He also struggled against legit defenses. If you call struggling putting up 23 to 28 points vs the usual 30 +, but there were struggles.
We can cite whatever deep ball stats we want as pro Brady people, and I’m not the only one who’s pro Brady, but the fact is that it takes one quarter of watching him under this system to tell its a bad fit for him. It is, and Arians has not adjusted, but rather choosen to validate his ideas based on amazing success against garbage teams.

What I take from Brady’s season is this.

He still clearly physically has it. He does. If you can’t see he’s throwing a good ball with zip then I dunno. Go watch Cam, or Sam Darnold or something.
Brady is like the 15th highest paid QB in the league. He’d have been here at a reasonable price, and he should still be here. BB should have been fired years ago. Before the Seahawks super bowl win, and right after ray rice busted those long runs in 09 or 10 whenever to knock us out of the playoffs.
You don’t let the best of all time walk because you can’t draft a team around him anymore. Belichick ignores physical talent for these guys who he thinks mentally he can “coach” up. I’m completely sick of it. At some point you need guys who can run, tackle, and out hit the other team. I’m so sick of hearing about BBs binkie. That’s a guy like Rex burkhead. Yes burkhead is great. We all love him. But he is a piece. An ancillary piece behind a core of blue chip players which have not been drafted in ten years.
I don’t care how many guys like that BB finds in round 10, (and yes I know burkhead was a FA, but you know what I mean), it does not make up for the lack of blue chip players he continually misses on every draft for the past ten years.

And y’all keep doubting Brady in these playoffs. Keep doubting. He’s bout to head the Bucs on a good run.

Last edited:
This season the Bucs faced murders row from mid October till late November, then played the Girl Scouts the last four games.

The truth is somewhere in between. Yes Brady had an unbelievable statistical season. He did, and it can’t be taken away.
He also struggled against legit defenses. If you call struggling putting up 23 to 28 points vs the usual 30 +, but there were struggles.
We can cite whatever deep ball stats we want as pro Brady people, and I’m not the only one who’s pro Brady, but the fact is that it takes one quarter of watching him under this system to tell its a bad fit for him. It is, and Arians has not adjusted, but rather choosen to validate his ideas based on amazing success against garbage teams.

He still clearly physically has it. He does. If you can’t see he’s throwing a good ball with zip then I dunno. Go watch Cam, or Sam Darnold or something.
Brady is like the 15th highest paid QB in the league. He’d have been here at a reasonable price, and he should still be here. BB should have been fired years ago. Before the Seahawks super bowl win, and right after ray rice busted those long runs in 09 or 10 whenever to knock us out of the playoffs.
You don’t let the best of all time walk because you can’t draft a team around him anymore. Belichick ignores physical talent for these guys who he thinks mentally he can “coach” up. I’m completely sick of it. At some point you need guys who can run, tackle, and out hit the other team. I’m so sick of hearing about BBs binkie. That’s a guy like Rex burkhead. Yes burkhead is great. We all love him. But he is a piece. An ancillary piece behind a core of blue chip players which have not been drafted in ten years.
I don’t care how many guys like that BB finds in round 10, (and yes I know burkhead was a FA, but you know what I mean), it does not make up for the lack of blue chip players he continually misses on every draft for the past ten years.

And y’all keep doubting Brady in these playoffs. Keep doubting. He’s bout to head the Bucs on a good run.

I agree with most of your post. You lost me when you said "You don’t let the best of all time walk because you can’t draft a team around him anymore."
You should be happy now that Caserio is gone bc Caserio was responsible for college scouting & setting the draft board. Caserio would provide BB with a list of 100-120 players ranked in order of preference/ability and it was then up to BB's final say. There was lots of discussion but make no mistake, Caserio provided the names and their ranking which influenced the Patriots' drafts for years. Remember, it was Caserio who spoke proudly about drafting N'Keal Harry because of Harry's contested catch success saying something like "Speed doesn't matter in the NFL. No WR can get open anymore against NFL CBs. Contested catch success is necessary now in the NFL and that's why we drafted Harry."

I remember that speech like it were yesterday. I didn't agree with him then and I don't agree with him now. Yeah, speed is only 1 ingredient but speed trumps contested catch every day of the week and 4 times on Sundays.

Now for this part of your statement. "You don’t let the best of all time walk because you can’t draft a team around him anymore."
BB didn't let TB12 walk. TB12 decided he was walking a year prior when he insisted on that no franchise tag clause. He knew it then and he's said so several times.
But if you asked "did BB want him to stay?" I'd say no, BB didn't want him around. After TB12's pissy attitude in 2019 and all the other crap TB12 pushed down BB's throat through Kraft, BB was fed up. What other crap? Deflategate, the JimmyG trade, Alex Guerrero's meddling with workouts, pliability hustling, TB12 insisting on Guerrero having an office in Gillette and shit we don't even know about yet. Go back and read Seth Wickersham's expose and your eyes will be opened by how much he said that actually looks true now.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but TFB turned into the privileged, entitled, spoiled child TB12 right before our eyes and some fans still don't recognize the difference.

Last edited:

Jeez, there are some hot takes in this one. Respectfully, I've got to disagree with a lot of it. Yes, he struggled against "legit" defenses. By Defensive DVOA, the teams he lost to were 2nd (NO), 8th (CHI), 4th (LAR), and 22nd (KC). The teams he beat were 24th (CAR), 13th (Den), 20th (LAC), 17th (GB), 28th (LVR), 19th (NYG), 18th (MIN), 32nd (DET) and 14th (ATL). Hasn't beaten a top 10 defense all year. So that much we can agree on. Yes, he had an unbelievable statistical season. Considering his age, the circumstances of this season as a whole, and that his accomplishments are quite literally unprecedented in all of history, I'd definitely agree with that as well.

However, I've watched a few quarters of Brady's play under this system. It has not looked like a bad fit to me at all. He's attacking all levels of the field, and doing so with success. Whereas on the Pats in many cases based on scheme and personnel he just couldn't safely and realistically attack deep down the field, here he can, and he does so well. The truth of whether or not Arians can adjust will be seen on Saturday. The Nick Wrights of the world expect it to be a repeat of the 2nd NO game, with multiple ints, a passer rating way below 80, and a blowout win by his opponent. Considering his struggles against elite defenses, that could happen. It shouldn't, though, because they shouldn't be trying to pass much at all, and when they do, it should be play action, screens, and lateral throws designed to get the ball out of his hands and relying on their elite WRs to beat a defender to advance the ball. If he's consistently hanging in that pocket for 5 seconds on Saturday trying to force a deep ball, sure, I'll say Arians can't adjust. But so far to me, I've seen adjustments all season long, and especially good ones coming lately. We shall see though.

After the midway point is where you lose me entirely. You think BB should have been gone like a decade ago, and would rather we have not won 3 Superbowls or went to 4 in 5 years, because you don't think the coach that took us to 9 Superbowls and won 6 can coach. You say Arians is a bad fit, despite Brady being the most successful 1st year QB on a new team in the history of the NFL. Yet you seem to think without BB and with some other random coach we would still have won those Superbowls, despite the fact that year in and year out, Brady put up some stinkers in the playoffs, and was carried to victory anyway by the rest of the team and gameplan coached up by BB. Other than 2005, 2013, and 2017, Brady threw at least 1 int in the playoffs every year. Other than 2004, 2010, 2014, and 2017, Brady had a sub-80 Passer Rating game in the playoffs, every year. Some years, his bad play would sink us, like in 2012, when he threw for 1 TD and 2 Ints vs the Ravens, Passer Rating 62.3, and we got crushed, 16-26. Some years, he would play poorly and we would win anyway. Like in 2016, when he threw 2 TDs, 2 Ints, Passer Rating 68.6 vs Houston, and we still beat them 34-16, and would go on to win the Super Bowl.

It wasn't just Brady. you can be sick of it, considering the results he's obtained, I'm definitely not. And I can't help but marvel at the mental gymnastics. Brady has been terrible against top 10 defenses this year. Washington has a top 3 defense. You say Arians can't adjust, and it's a bad fit. Yet you think Brady is going to lead the Bucs on a good run? If he does, it will be because Arians adjusted. Brady is the GOAT, but he's not playing solo out there. You need a good head coach as well. Arians seems to be pretty good. Belichick is the GOAT.

I'm not picking apart his playoff career. The inverse is absolutely true as well. Look at 2017, he had an incredible run, with 8 TDs, 0 Ints, no games under a passer rating of 100, with a rating of 115 in the SB, over 500 yards, and threw for 3 TDs, and yet we still lost. That's absolutely on Belichick and the defense, no one should ask for more out of Brady that game than what he gave. There are plenty of examples both ways, it's not an all or nothing kinda thing.

However, as to the rest of it, absolutely fans talk about how bad Peyton was in the playoffs. Even at his peak, the comments generally were 'best regular season QB of all time, tends to choke in the playoffs'. Colts fans absolutely say 'he should have won more than 1 SB with us'. Also he's not the only QB compared to a coach, at all. Russel Wilson, one of the statistically best QBs to ever play, got absolutely lambasted by not just fans and media, but his own team, saying he was garbage held up by Pete Carroll and if Pete would not have been desperately trying to stroke his ego, they would have won that SB. The talk now about Patrick Mahomes is that the Chiefs will always be competing for a dynasty, as long as they have him... and Andy Reid. The talk while Montana was playing was that he was the extreme beneficiary of the West Coast Offense, and without Bill Walsh, could he really be successful? It's not some abnormal thing.

Is this done for any other player? Yes. Do we really have to deep dive into Brady to diminish his season? Well his season is literally unprecedented in all of history, he's playing phenomenally even by his own obscene standards, so I don't see how someone could successfully diminish it, but considering this is a football discussion forum, deep diving into things does indeed seem like the thing to do. Is this done with any other QB in football? Yes. Why is it not said for any other player? It is. Or coach for that matter? It is. I'm not trying to make Brady look bad or pretend it's all Belichick. It's not, Belichick has never played a snap. But as to why to discuss football, and specifically Brady's performance, for me at least I'd say because that's the purpose of this thread and the forum in general.

You do realize you're the only one saying he's a washed up mess, right? And also that we all know how inane it is to say 'if you can get pressure with your front 4, you can beat him'? It's like saying 'if you can score a lot of touchdowns, you can win'. It's both obvious and unhelpful, all QBs do better when not pressured, but with Brady it's relevant because the team he is going against this weekend has literally the worst offense in all of football. So comparing the #5 defense in TB to the #32 offense in Washington isn't exactly going to get a lot of clicks and views. However, comparing Washington's totally stacked defensive line to Brady's troubles when pressured makes for a compelling storyline that makes it seem like Washington has a chance. But again, the only one using terms like washed up mess is you.

Back