HBO's "Game of Thrones"

Shit. And here I thought it was an orginal concept. :shrug:

Thanks, though. That proves that the show will come up with something else.

One thing regarding Melisandre that confused me a bit was that I thought that it was she that was the "shadow" (wearing Stannis' face) that killed Renly Baratheon-- yet Stannis admitted to it when accused.

Did I just remember it wrong?

And when she skipped town why would she go north to the Wall? Not like she had a lot of fans there.

No, Melisandre gave birth to whatever the hell that thing was with Stannis' face. Davos was with her when it happened. No idea why she went back to the wall unless she figured out that Stannis wasn't the one and it was actually Jon Snow all along.

When I read the part in the books with Snow being stabbed, I immediately thought he would warg into Ghost (the last thing he says going down is Ghost) but with all the changes in the show, I have no idea what they will do.

That is also a possibility although I hope it's not the case. It would be a little lame if it was just him running around in a wolf's body.

OPT I don't disagree with his original intent. I suppose what I'm saying is that the entire thing feels manufactured, which it obviously is. This is not a historical recollection of the WotR, and he's not fooling anyone IMO. What I mean is that if you go into your project believing that people act in a particular fashion (ie. greed, backstabbing, etc.) and that death is an inherently random and constant occurrence, then the longer your series runs the more likely those manufactured notions will become tired and played out.

The WotR was a real event with real people who acted both logically and illogically. Some things were predictable and others weren't, but it would have been very difficult to map out that entire conflict and every odd twist and turn from afar. In real life people die, perhaps with no warning and/or for no good reason, and their deaths don't further plots because it isn't fiction. Martin's approach keeps all characters at risk, which really stood out early on, but I feel like it's just become a game at this point. Is there a calculated end game to his new characters and/or the rise of old characters, other than to hold them in reserve for yet another so-called 'realistic, random' death?

Historical fiction on a grand scale is not impossible, but I just don't feel like Martin has done a great job as the size of his story has expanded.

I agree with the part in bold. He's not going to go to the top of any author's list anytime soon.

Maybe I misunderstood you.

It seemed to me that you were saying that he was killing people off and having such a gamut of characters intentionally because he wanted to do things that way.

I was simply saying that if we assume that he was using WotR as his framework for the story, then those aspects would play a role in any such story.

Now to be clear, his execution of telling such a story is far from the best.

BTW, there shouldn't be too much doubt regarding the WotR parallel.

Westros is clearly England.

The two major factions, at the beginning are:

Lancaster- Lannister
York - Stark

City of York - Winterfell

Of course this means the White Walkers are Scots. :coffee:

One thing regarding Melisandre that confused me a bit was that I thought that it was she that was the "shadow" (wearing Stannis' face) that killed Renly Baratheon-- yet Stannis admitted to it when accused.

And when she skipped town why would she go north to the Wall? Not like she had a lot of fans there.

She didn't have many other options.

Castle Black was the closest place she could go to.

If she tried to go south, she'd have to try and get past that castle on the causeway in the swamp.

If she went east to the coast, no guarantee she'd find a ship to take her anywhere. Also, how long would it take? Recall that Stannis's troops were freezing to death just before the battle. Did she have enough food and warm clothing to make such a journey?

She knew John Snow and Davos were there, and presumably Davos had some men with him. So there were a few people who she would expect fair treatment from at Castle Black.

So even if she had "few friends" there, she had zero friends anywhere else.

Martin pisses everybody off, but nobody can say that he's a total wanker or his brainchild wouldn't be the global phenomenon that it is.

Shakespeare killed folks. So does Disney.

I'd like a little less death, too, but maybe he's just manipulating the shit out of everybody by tugging on their heart strings until they can't stand the show any more and maybe he's a genius. I'm not sure.

I still like it and think the last three episodes were strong.

Now that we've reached the end of the published material I'd like to think that Martin won't continue to whack all his best characters and will pare down to a smaller core for the final battle between the living and the dead and we'll be more deeply invested in those left.

Things to look for next season:

Tyrion will marry The Mother of Dragons and they'll have a family of Shetland Dragons that will be wildly popular with the kiddies.
I'll first say that this wouldn't be the first series that lost it's way (i.e. The Sopranos). A course correction is badly needed. Three good episodes, does not make a good season.

They need to keep around more interesting characters, (or do a better job of developing new interesting people).

I do hope that Tyrian ends up marrying Daenerys (sp).

She didn't have many other options.

Castle Black was the closest place she could go to.

If she tried to go south, she'd have to try and get past that castle on the causeway in the swamp.

Right. Moat Cailin, I believe. So why does a woman that can turn herself into a shadow have to worry about sneaking past a castle?

If she went east to the coast, no guarantee she'd find a ship to take her anywhere. Also, how long would it take? Recall that Stannis's troops were freezing to death just before the battle. Did she have enough food and warm clothing to make such a journey?

She doesn't get cold as they explained earlier in the series. The God of Light keeps her motor running hot at all times or something like that. I believe she does have to eat, but since she has demonstrated magical powers she should be able to talk a rabbit into jumping into her pocket anytime she gets hungry.

She knew John Snow and Davos were there, and presumably Davos had some men with him. So there were a few people who she would expect fair treatment from at Castle Black.

So even if she had "few friends" there, she had zero friends anywhere else.

She could expect fair treatment from Snow, just because she knew the guy was a total straight arrow, but Davos completely hated her. If she had an enemies list in her cloak Davos might be the first name on it.

I asked the question because I couldn't think of a logical reason, but it might simply be that she represents a wild card for the writers to have some fun with. All those dirty guys dressed in black and one hot ginger in a red cape.

No, Melisandre gave birth to whatever the hell that thing was with Stannis' face. Davos was with her when it happened. No idea why she went back to the wall unless she figured out that Stannis wasn't the one and it was actually Jon Snow all along.

Now that you mention it.....yeah, she gave birth to the thing that killed Renly. Thanks.

So that begs the question of why Stannis lied about it to Brienne.

The only logical explanation for that and for his foolish behavior over the last few days before the rout at Winterfell is that he was basically committing suicide because he allowed Shirleen to be roasted alive and he just decided that trying to be King wasn't worth it. Just go ahead and kill me because I'm already dead inside.

Of course, we didn't actually see him die and Brienne might decide to keep him for a bargaining chip or something.

My guess, based on reading the books and watching the series.

If Jon Snow is in fact who most book readers think he is, he wasn't just the legitimate heir to the throne, he was in fact born King of Westeros (which explains why 3 kings-guard were guarding him at the Tower of Joy).

When Mel gets a taste of his "kings blood" she's going to have a hell of a face palm moment.

Mel returned to Castle Black because that's where she was in the book (she never left) and it's important to the plot that she and Jon be in the same place. She'll either save him by conventional means, or give him the "kiss of life" like Thorros gave Dondarrion. Either way Jon will be "reborn" and fulfill the prophesy. Jon will avoid the "loss of self" from being brought back from the dead because his consciousness has warged into Ghost.

My guess, based on reading the books and watching the series.

If Jon Snow is in fact who most book readers think he is, he wasn't just the legitimate heir to the throne, he was in fact born King of Westeros (which explains why 3 kings-guard were guarding him at the Tower of Joy).

When Mel gets a taste of his "kings blood" she's going to have a hell of a face palm moment.

Mel returned to Castle Black because that's where she was in the book (she never left) and it's important to the plot that she and Jon be in the same place. She'll either save him by conventional means, or give him the "kiss of life" like Thorros gave Dondarrion. Either way Jon will be "reborn" and fulfill the prophesy. Jon will avoid the "loss of self" from being brought back from the dead because his consciousness has warged into Ghost.

Now that you mention it.....yeah, she gave birth to the thing that killed Renly. Thanks.

So that begs the question of why Stannis lied about it to Brienne.

The only logical explanation for that and for his foolish behavior over the last few days before the rout at Winterfell is that he was basically committing suicide because he allowed Shirleen to be roasted alive and he just decided that trying to be King wasn't worth it. Just go ahead and kill me because I'm already dead inside.

Of course, we didn't actually see him die and Brienne might decide to keep him for a bargaining chip or something.

You're forgetting an important bit.

Stannis banged her to get her "pregnant" and presumably that's why it had his face.

He knew that he was using her to make magic to kill his brother and so even if he didn't directly kill him himself, he was still accountable.

Melisandre cast a spell that created the ShadowStannis, but he was part of it with the blood leeching and such, IIRC.

Why would that mean Snow would come back as a White Walker (Other)?
Sorry if I'm being obtuse.

I didn't say he would come back as a white walker. I'm saying lots of people think he will come back as this Azor Ahai who had previously defeated all of the white walkers.

I didn't say he would come back as a white walker. I'm saying lots of people think he will come back as this Azor Ahai who had previously defeated all of the white walkers.

Oh, the confusion (on my part) stems from you replying to a post that suggested he'd come back as a White Walker.

Oh, the confusion (on my part) stems from you replying to a post that suggested he'd come back as a White Walker.

Yeah, I thought about that I replied. It's all good.

Cant believe Jon Snow is dead.
Mellisandra's just drooling over this:devil:

Jon's commitment to the watch was till his death...,
Once he's dead he's free to go his own way .

So many directions for them to go with him.

You know nothing Jon Snow :cool:

Game of Thrones will probably go 8 seasons, and a prequel sounds pretty likely after that, HBO programming president Michael Lombardo said

Wonder what they are looking at for a prequel, Robert's Rebellion, the Targarian conquest or the Dunk & Egg stories.

If they do that, then they can't cast Sean Bean as Ned.

If he was to survive the first installment of any movie or TV show it would destroy the space-time continuum.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IxI8aPISq8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back