HBO's "Game of Thrones"

I'm really disappointed how they are handling the story in Dorne. I can't believe that they jobbed out Areo Hotah like that. One knife to the back is all it takes to kill the greatest fighter in Dorne? I call BS on that.

Yeah, the whole Dorne story line has been a train wreck. It's like they had the interns write and cast it. I'm guessing this was their way of completely writing Dorne out of the show. Doran seemed to be the only one with any brains. Ellaria will do something rash and stupid and bring all of Dorne down with her.

I felt that most of the episode had been telegraphed in the trailers apart from the Dorne and Melly stuff. Even the Dorne part you might have already deduced by the fact that Ellaria was in the trailers and Doran was not. You knew that someone was going to die as a result of Marcellas poisoning.
What a waste. Oh well. The season really starts this coming Sunday.
Also, I understand the frustration with Hotah getting killed by a pocket knife in the back but at least he died onscreen. Stannis who was a major character and a POV character in the books gets killed off screen.

I'm really disappointed how they are handling the story in Dorne. I can't believe that they jobbed out Areo Hotah like that. One knife to the back is all it takes to kill the greatest fighter in Dorne? I call BS on that.

It's consistent with everything else they've done. Basically, kill off the interesting characters.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the premiere, to be honest. I know it'll speed up appropriately, but the season started out with a whimper in my opinion.

The naked old witch was pretty creepy, though.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the premiere, to be honest. I know it'll speed up appropriately, but the season started out with a whimper in my opinion.

The naked old witch was pretty creepy, though.

Also, I understand the frustration with Hotah getting killed by a pocket knife in the back but at least he died onscreen. Stannis who was a major character and a POV character in the books gets killed off screen.

I'm still not at all convinced that Stannis is dead. My theory is that maybe the Boltons discovering that Sansa and Theon escaped happened around the same time that Brienne found Stannis and she was sidetracked by seeing Sansa and Theon frollicking through the woods and went after them. I'm thinking they come back to him so Brienne can finish him off and Sansa spares him.

I'm still not at all convinced that Stannis is dead. My theory is that maybe the Boltons discovering that Sansa and Theon escaped happened around the same time that Brienne found Stannis and she was sidetracked by seeing Sansa and Theon frollicking through the woods and went after them. I'm thinking they come back to him so Brienne can finish him off and Sansa spares him.
Stannis is dead. Roose mentioned something to Ramsay about wanting to know who killed Stannis.

Stannis is dead. Roose mentioned something to Ramsay about wanting to know who killed Stannis.

I somehow missed that line. Perhaps he is just hoping/assuming someone killed Stannis during the battle. There is no way they are going to kill off a major character like that and not even show it. That would literally be the first time in the history of this show.

I somehow missed that line. Perhaps he is just hoping/assuming someone killed Stannis during the battle. There is no way they are going to kill off a major character like that and not even show it. That would literally be the first time in the history of this show.
Heck, Stannis died in the books awhile back.

Heck, Stannis died in the books awhile back.

He's still alive in the books. This was in a preview chapter from the new book that GRR has been working on forever.

The Winds of Winter

A preview chapter from Theon Greyjoy's POV shows Stannis has captured Theon and "Arya" (really Jeyne Poole) after they escape Winterfell. Stannis signs an agreement with Tycho Nestoris, an envoy from the Iron Bank of Braavos, and sends them away with one of his knights, Ser Justin Massey, to use his loan to hire sellswords. Stannis is aware of the Karstark's treachery and has them arrested. He interrogates Theon and finds the Freys and Manderlys are coming to meet him, but will come separately. Stannis implies he has a plan to defeat his foes.

Soooo...did anyone watch last night?

I liked it, with the exception that Jon Snow is still dead. When Big Red knocked on the door I figured he'd be up and about in no time, but they left us hanging.

I'm not the most careful watcher, but didn't Davos seem very pensive when he saw the odd bloodstains or lack thereof beneath the ex-Lord Commander's body? Anyhow, I hope they don't drag this out too much longer.

I'd like to thank the producers of this show for showing us Mellie's body again. It solidified my theory that the women of Westeros tend to have ridiculously perfect racks. Of course, then the necklace came off and......well.....let's just say that over time gravity takes its toll.

I feel bad for Arya, but I'm hoping that I've heard the last of the many-faced-God monkey puzzle dialogue to last me for a while.

The girl is no one and wants to be some one, but in order to be some one first she has to become no one and then stay no one. You dig?.

Yeah, no thanks. Makes my head hurt. Anyhow, I can't wait for her to smack that mean bitch with her bo staff.

I loved the scene where Brienne finally finds Sansa and pledges her fealty. She is so........sincere. No quit in her. It's like we got to see somebody self-actualizing. Poor Brienne deserves a little slice of happiness in that mean, old world and for a moment, at least, she did.

So, that was the episode for me. Feeling bad for practically every female character except Cercei, who literally cannot have enough bad stuff happen to her to suit me.

I'm damn glad the show is back. Something to look forward to Sunday night TV for.

Spoiler: Arya becomes Daredevil

2XnoJ51.jpg

I wonder what the point of taking Danny back to the Dothraki is? It can't be for her to get the Dothraki to be her army to invade Westeros. Tyrion in fact points out to her in their meeting that she doesn't have much support in Westeros. Their fathers combined destroyed one of the houses they could have compelled to support them, The Starks. Dorne, which would be the obvious landing point for an invasion is thought to be weak militarily but politically aligned with her. And the rest of the houses have no reason to support her. Danny also wants the support of the small folk. The Dothraki horde can not be kept in check. Once lose on Westeros they will rape and pillage everything in their way. That's their way/culture. You can't expect the support of the small folk if that happens. I'm really scratching my head as to where they're going with the Dothraki storyline again. Also now that the fleet is in ashes the Iron Isladers/Euron is the next logical way for them to finally get Danny to Westeros. The way I see it by seasons end Danny needs to have an army, a fleet and be on her way to Westeros. I think the biggest reason that TWOW hasn't come out yet is because RR is having a hard time getting the chess pieces to line up where they need to be for ADOS.

I wonder what the point of taking Danny back to the Dothraki is? It can't be for her to get the Dothraki to be her army to invade Westeros. Tyrion in fact points out to her in their meeting that she doesn't have much support in Westeros. Their fathers combined destroyed one of the houses they could have compelled to support them, The Starks. Dorne, which would be the obvious landing point for an invasion is thought to be weak militarily but politically aligned with her. And the rest of the houses have no reason to support her. Danny also wants the support of the small folk. The Dothraki horde can not be kept in check. Once lose on Westeros they will rape and pillage everything in their way. That's their way/culture. You can't expect the support of the small folk if that happens. I'm really scratching my head as to where they're going with the Dothraki storyline again. Also now that the fleet is in ashes the Iron Isladers/Euron is the next logical way for them to finally get Danny to Westeros. The way I see it by seasons end Danny needs to have an army, a fleet and be on her way to Westeros. I think the biggest reason that TWOW hasn't come out yet is because RR is having a hard time getting the chess pieces to line up where they need to be for ADOS.

Some great points and obviously you follow the storylines closely.

I feel like every time Danny is faced with a challenge, she figures out a way to rise above it. Right now, the Dothraki want to make her a proper widow, but they haven't seen the dragons yet. They don't take her seriously. Yet.

Ultimately, I figure it'll be her and her armies saving Westeros from the undead. Instead of local kings battling it out it'll be the living finally uniting and she'll be calling the shots. If dragonglass can kill one of those dead creatures, I imagine a real dragon could mow them down like weeds.

And they all live happily ever after.

Just a wild guess on my part.

Some great points and obviously you follow the storylines closely.

I feel like every time Danny is faced with a challenge, she figures out a way to rise above it. Right now, the Dothraki want to make her a proper widow, but they haven't seen the dragons yet. They don't take her seriously. Yet.

Ultimately, I figure it'll be her and her armies saving Westeros from the undead. Instead of local kings battling it out it'll be the living finally uniting and she'll be calling the shots. If dragonglass can kill one of those dead creatures, I imagine a real dragon could mow them down like weeds.

And they all live happily ever after.

Just a wild guess on my part.
That would be the logical endgame. But I don't expect that to happen until the last 4-5 episodes. The rest of Westeros seems willfully ignorant of the White Walkers threat until they have one standing right in front of them. I expect some conflicts to be resolved before that. So I think that the White Walkers will have to make it to Kings Landing before the rest of the Westeros finally gets their heads out of their asses. I'm thinking Danny lands in Dorne and with support from Dorne and the Tyrells march on KL and either conquer it or they are in the middle of a siege when the Northerners still alive start showing up in full retreat from the White Walkers. Maybe that's where the Dothraki come in. At that point the WW would have amassed an enormous army of undead and Esos will need to be involved in stopping them.

I can envision a reason for her to get her own personal horde.

Your scenario essentially assumes she will abandon everyone on the "mainland" and only concern herself with Westeros.

There are plenty of other power blocks on the mainland that are based on slavery, and she could easily keep the Dothraki busy attacking them.

This would protect her rear and support the slaves she has liberated so far.

If she doesn't do something about those other power blocks, the moment she sails, those people are toast.

Also, I don't see the Dothraki being keen on getting on ships anyway. They are horsemen first and last.

Wasn't there a line to that effect in an earlier season?

So if Danny recruits the Dothraki, that let's her leave all of them on the mainland, "protecting" the freed slaves, while she takes all her other allies to Westeros.

As far as how she get support on Westeros, she hooks up with Brant and thus gains the name of the Starks to support her.

They've already implied that with Bolton talking to Ramsay about how important Sansa was to their plans.

So that gives Danny the North, and once she and Brant smite the White Walkers, the rest of Westeros shouts Huzzah! and they all lived happily ever after.

Of course, if all of this is wrong, it could simply be a way to give Mormont an honorable death.

Since he's got the "stone skin" disease, or whatever it's called, he's toast, grated cheese.

So if this is simply the way they let him exit, stage left, I'm OK with that.

Back