• They suspend trading

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Black Thursday

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The Apocalypse

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
minus 600 points in 8 minutes after opening.

my initial options a year ago when i made this poll were too conservative i guess

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

The government is full of fvcking morons who will say and do anything to get what they want. They are idiots who correctly think <strike>we</strike> most of us are all idiots, and they hope the ones that aren't idiots don't convince the rest of the idiots that they are idiots treating us like idiots.

Fixed.

Nikkei down 9.5% overnight, surpassing the losses in the U.S. equity markets today.

Someone needs to remind me why the bailout bill HAD to be passed as quickly as it did without investigating any alternatives again?

Dow's going to get crushed today. If you haven't already sold, I wouldn't advise doing so now FWIW. Every single Congressperson who voted for that asinine bailout bill should be voted out of office.

They have set trading limits on futures for today also.

This is going to be teh failure epic today.

Heres a frightening thought for some people From 1960 to 1980 the Market seem to be very steady,but when Reagan became President he put in policies to move money around to make more money and the market started its steady climb.
It would not shock me if we see below 5000 points in the future. right now what I'm thinking is we will level off at 5000 to 5500 points and stay there for quite sometime.
dow100.gif

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8H2FIf1oH4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8H2FIf1oH4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Heres a frightening thought for some people From 1960 to 1980 the Market seem to be very steady,but when Reagan became President he put in policies to move money around to make more money and the market started its steady climb.
It would not shock me if we see below 5000 points in the future. right now what I'm thinking is we will level off at 5000 to 5500 points and stay there for quite sometime.

dow100.gif

I think that's faaaaar to low of a prediction. Mid-7,000's is the bottom. Once we hit that point, the financial data starts to look too good to be true, and the buying will start again.

_dji

If you look at the market's (in this case I'm using the DOW, but all the equity markets are pretty similar) sharp decline after the Lehman Bros. collapse, it appears we are bouncing along the bottom.

Again, though, I think it can get into the mid-7,000's with enough bad news. If you pay attention to the bond markets, you'll understand why I think that bad news is on its way.

---
Edit: and the stock market wasn't "stable" from '67-'82, it was frustratingly stagnant. Investors don't want to take on the risk of equity investments for meager to nill returns.

Market down another 200 points today. Here's an article explaining the bond market issue I was speaking about (most are too gun shy to buy).

I hate to be the one to break the news, but here it is: Despite everything you've heard about how massive infusions of hot new money printed by the Federal Reserve and other central banks have thawed the chill in interbank lending, veteran credit analyst Brian Reynolds says credit markets have just experienced their worst two weeks of all time and show no signs of improvement. None.

Unless they improve soon, you'll have to brace yourself for new lows in stocks as equity investors begin to anticipate the same severe recession that bondholders envision.

---

Financing for corporate debt might be cheaper, but no one is buying, in part because there are simply fewer players left alive in the market and because there continues to be little transparency to the ingredients. Credit-focused hedge funds are closing down at a rate faster than anyone can remember, and their clients among the wealthy are in such bad shape, staggered by margin calls of their own, that they couldn't buy now if they wanted to.

---

Though that may sound bad only if you're a corporate treasurer, it actually has profound implications for everyone. It means that the credit market believes more ugliness lies ahead: more bankruptcies that will throw workers out of jobs, more states that may be unable to pay off bridges and hospitals, and more bondholders in enough trouble to imperil mutual fund redemptions.

---

From every corner of the country we're learning of business owners who sold to publicly held companies and received stock instead of cash. Brokers then allowed them to use that stock as collateral for loans to buy what they wanted -- such as big houses, boats and jets -- without touching the shares that were rising in value and yielding dividend income. Now that those shares have fallen, the rich are getting massive margin calls and are being forced to sell property into an indifferent market.

The latest victim is billionaire Kirk Kerkorian, who pledged his MGM Mirage shares as collateral to support his lifestyle and has been receiving $50 million-plus margin calls as the stock has plunged 85%. People like that are not putting money into credit hedge funds anymore, and this in turn is killing the corporate bond market and setting us up for a bad recession.

Citigroup laying off 50,000

10:30 and stocks down 250 points.

Could be UGLY today.:coffee:

HANG THE C0CK SUCKERS

There should be public be-headings

Company: Citigroup Inc. (C)
Participation: The U.S. Treasury said it will inject $25 billion into
Citigroup.
Date of disclosure: Oct. 29

I was taking a look at Bloomberg today and noticed $33 TRILLION had been eviscerated from the global equity markets in the past year. For those keeping score at home, that's more than HALF of the world's annual GDP.

If you were wondering why your 401Ks and IRAs that you worked hard for all your life are down 45% year-on-year, I recommend you start educating yourselves about Alan Greenspan and the Federal Reserve System. Just my two cents.

400+ yesterday

Just as bad today I bet.

SOKB's free financial advice of the day...BUY BANK STOCKS!

They absolutely CAN'T let the banks fail and will do EVERYTHING in their power to recitify them. When they fix them THEN cash out and put they $ into something like gold or metals.

I think that's faaaaar to low of a prediction. Mid-7,000's is the bottom. Once we hit that point, the financial data starts to look too good to be true, and the buying will start again.

_dji

If you look at the market's (in this case I'm using the DOW, but all the equity markets are pretty similar) sharp decline after the Lehman Bros. collapse, it appears we are bouncing along the bottom.

Again, though, I think it can get into the mid-7,000's with enough bad news. If you pay attention to the bond markets, you'll understand why I think that bad news is on its way.

---
Edit: and the stock market wasn't "stable" from '67-'82, it was frustratingly stagnant. Investors don't want to take on the risk of equity investments for meager to nill returns.

Bounce, bounce, bounce:javascript:void(0);

_dji

It's just as bad on the international market. I'm taking a beaten no matter what market I play in

Back