How much "Political Capital" does BB have left?

Spinal Tap

dicktowel.com
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to approach this topic, because I love Belichick just as much as the next guy/ gal. The last decade of being a Patriots fan has been phenomenal, although there have been some REAL heartbreakers lately........which brings me to the point of this thread.

BB is a genius. The best coach in the NFL. I wouldn't want anyone else running this team. With all that being said, his teams have melted down on more than one occassion over the last several years, and in some pretty big spots.

2006 AFCCG - Game is in hand. Pats are in control. BB gets outcoached in the second half and breaks our hearts. This one was tough (especially with Rex Grossman standing in the way of a 4th super bowl title).

2007 SB - The Giants shouldn't even have been on the same field with the Patriots in this game. After winning the first 18 games, setting all kinds of records, and ending up getting the "other" Manning in a super bowl matchup......you end up LOSING??? Losing to Eli f*cking Manning, especially on a last minute drive???? I understand that the Giants outplayed the Pats for most of that game, but I think that was because BB got thoroughly outcoached in what is definately the biggest game/ loss in franchise history.

Last night - Again, the game is in hand. This was a game that could very well have decided whether the Pats get a first round bye, and better yet, whether they would get to play Indy at Gillette in January. This was a HUGE game as regular season games go, and they had the perfect game plan for about 55 minutes. The meltdown was as much BB's fault as it was the players not making plays. They made some critical mistakes that well coached teams just don't do.

So now I'm sitting here thinking about these 3 losses, and just wondering if any of them (or in the aggregate) have affected your view of BB and your confidence in him. I used to think that 4th quarter leads and smart situational football was a given with BB at the helm. Now, I'm not so sure.

The tides are turning us winning the last 5/6 games proves that obviously whatever BB had left that allowed him to be this spiritual football leader is no longer there. And it shows with his lack of confidence in his own team.

The tides are turning us winning the last 5/6 games proves that obviously whatever BB had left that allowed him to be this spiritual football leader is no longer there. And it shows with his lack of confidence in his own team.

Honestly, I wasn't asking you. :Lwelcome:

Interesting question.....

He'll have enough left as long as he keeps winning.

This is the most heat he's taken around these parts in recent memory-at least for game decisions. Even the interesting calls and coaching of the SB didn't get the same general thumbs down as last night.

He has plenty of capital left. My only criticism with him (over the past couple years) is why does his defense often fold in the 4th quarter in big games.

He has plenty of capital left. My only criticism with him (over the past couple years) is why does his defense often fold in the 4th quarter in big games.
539w.jpg

The only thing the prevent D prevents is winning.

Interesting question.....

He'll have enough left as long as he keeps winning.

This is the most heat he's taken around these parts in recent memory-at least for game decisions. Even the interesting calls and coaching of the SB didn't get the same general thumbs down as last night.

Because he did it against your biggest rival... Let alone another manning, you just can't stop them can you?... Funny how you guys always said this was a rivalry we attached to our games because you guys always stood in our way... now it's obviously brady boy with that monkey on his back.

inb4 brady has more rings.

Well, that's kind of an important point, don't you think?

And last night, it was just as much about situational football as it was about a defense that suddenly got soft.

Calling a timeout after a kickoff = inexcusable

4th down call = ballsy, obviously no faith in the defense, a really questionable decision overall

Calling for a route that is run right at the sticks leaves too much room for error (obviously). Why not run a 3 yard route? You know, just to be sure?

Not telling your defense to allow Indy to score once they got inside the 10 yard line on that last drive. Wilhite tackled Addai on the 1 yard line, and would have saved about 45 seconds if he had just let him in. Dumb, dumb, dumb

Why are you still here?

no pass rush, no player like Willie Mac who sees the chance to get the spot light and goes for it

sorry but when TBC is the best you have at getting after the QB, you are screwed late in the game when the defense is tired

bb has earned "permanent bye" status from this pats fan.

That's not to say i/we shouldn't question or even criticize certain decisions, but at the end of the day he's coach of this team until he decides to move on.

+1

Calling a timeout after a kickoff = inexcusable

I would add that the timeout that Welker called early in the half didn't make sense either. First and ten (I think), two minutes into the half, not exactly a crucial situation.

BB has earned "permanent bye" status from this Pats fan.

That's not to say I/we shouldn't question or even criticize certain decisions, but at the end of the day he's coach of this team until HE decides to move on.

Ditt-o. Couldn't have said it better.

539w.jpg

The only thing the prevent D prevents is winning.

Godblessyagrumpy!!!!

That is truly the problem. It has always infuriated me that during the regular season, BB and his D will go all prevent when they have the lead in the fourth. Sure, from time to time (not last nite, again new coordinator) he lets his O take em to the woodshed. But damn! Up by two scores in the fourth is time to go all Tomlin on their bitch azzes. Headhunt. Make em pay with a pound of flesh. Get them SCARED to ever get aggressive offensively with you ever ever again. WTF!!!

Fugg the two min call.

Grumpy has it correct. This loss was a defensive coordinator fail. And BB pulls his strings.

Godblessyagrumpy!!!!

That is truly the problem. It has always infuriated me that during the regular season, BB and his D will go all prevent when they have the lead in the fourth. Sure, from time to time (not last nite, again new coordinator) he lets his O take em to the woodshed. But damn! Up by two scores in the fourth is time to go all Tomlin on their bitch azzes. Headhunt. Make em pay with a pound of flesh. Get them SCARED to ever get aggressive offensively with you ever ever again. WTF!!!

Fugg the two min call.

Grumpy has it correct. This loss was a defensive coordinator fail. And BB pulls his strings.

There's nothing worse than "Prevent" you from winning D in my opinion.

No real overall affect on me. I always feel that things have a way of evening out.

I also know that despite how superior a team may be to their opponent/opponents (I am speaking in general, btw - not about last night), every champion needs a few things to break their way.

BB made a bad call. I'd imagine, however, that most of his player personnel believed they could convert the play and were in favor of it when the call came down.

The other factor for my unchanged sentiment is that some of BB's most recent "bad" decisions have come as the result of preceding factors that were seemingly beyond his ability to control as a coach (i.e., Maroney's fumble, the Giants DL rumbling through the Pats OL like a turnstile, etc.). He made a terrible decision. I can live with that because they are quite infrequent.

Because he did it against your biggest rival... Let alone another manning, you just can't stop them can you?... Funny how you guys always said this was a rivalry we attached to our games because you guys always stood in our way... now it's obviously brady boy with that monkey on his back.

inb4 brady has more rings.

Mushy why are you trolling them in this thread? They are not insulting your team, they are discussing their own. Yet you want to inject your pointless dribble to incite them. You're like special ed from crank yankers, now go find 2 of your friends in a thread where they are bashing the colts from last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back