I know, I know...this is a football forum...BUT

Hockey is the only other sport that combines team play with individual skills at similar levels. In football and basketball it's easy to force your will on an opponent by virtue of sheer size and strength. If you ever saw Pedro pitch you'll understand what I'm saying.

Yup

I agree with the "skill" argument about baseball, it is far from easy, I know for a fact because I was awful.

As for team, not so much. Baseball is a sport of individual match-ups. One of the reasons that mid-season trades work so well is "teamwork" is more or less non-existent. Camaraderie is important because of the length of the season, but one dude in baseball can't really make another guy better.

That's not necessarily true. Depending on what kind of lineup you have the guy behind you can make you get better pitches.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

I love baseball.

Boston is a town that lives, eats and breathes baseball. The team has been around for over century. Our teams have had some of the most historic players to ever play the game. Fenway Park is basically a cathedral. I get goose bumps every time I go there and I have lived in Boston my whole life.

I think in today's world of fast pace, consume your info in a nanosecond, baseball seems dated. I get it on one level but I am not sure how old you are. For folks who are 18-30 which is the target market for pro sports, baseball seems antiquated but for everyone else who grew up on it, it it is THE game to watch/follow. The strategy is the best part of the sport but unfortunately that does not come across on TV well. It is not timed sport either like the others which makes it unique. You have to get that final out to win.

All that being said, football is my favorite sport. But the Red Sox are my heart and soul. My dad is 83 and he has infused a love of the game that is hard to articulate but it is part of Boston's fabric.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree with every word, Mazz. I didn't grow up in Boston. I grew up in New Haven, CT - pretty much the dividing line between Yankee/Red Sox country. The Yankees owned the Sox in those days. I had way too many Yankee fan friends. It was tough being a Sox fan but suffering through those days made 2004 that much sweeter. My kids have no idea how huge that ALCS was and why I cried like I did when Foulke underhanded that ball to Mientkiewicz (sp?)

I don't remember crying when the clock read 00:00 in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Football is like the family dog that you love and care for and play with. Baseball is like one of your kids. They are yours forever and you love them unconditionally.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree with every word, Mazz. I didn't grow up in Boston. I grew up in New Haven, CT - pretty much the dividing line between Yankee/Red Sox country. The Yankees owned the Sox in those days. I had way too many Yankee fan friends. It was tough being a Sox fan but suffering through those days made 2004 that much sweeter. My kids have no idea how huge that ALCS was and why I cried like I did when Foulke underhanded that ball to Mientkiewicz (sp?)

I don't remember crying when the clock read 00:00 in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Football is like the family dog that you love and care for and play with. Baseball is like one of your kids. They are yours forever and you love them unconditionally.

perfect

That's not necessarily true. Depending on what kind of lineup you have the guy behind you can make you get better pitches.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

I love baseball.

Unless somebody understands something like this trying to discuss baseball with them is useless. There are so many variables in game situations.

There are also other adjustments that need to be made when players are traded. Look at how long it took Pomeranz to synch up with the Sox catchers. He's been dominant his last few times out. Position players have to adjust to each others timing and tendencies.

Baseball is more like Big Brother...not a family member, but the TV show people put on in the background to have something making noise while it's summer and there is nothing else, but reruns.

Completely false. Baseball fans watch every pitch.

What I consider true baseball fans. People who put it on for background noise aren't exactly fanatical, are they?

"Baseball fan" is defined as a fan who watches every pitch.

all true. I'll go even further- a true baseball fan is defined as somebody who pays enough attention and knows enough about the game that, given the situation (base runners, outs, score, defensive positioning, count) can tell you what pitch is coming (including location) and be right a minimum of 75% of the time. A true baseball fan can tell when the ball leaves the bat whether or not it's going out (O.Z.O. Jr. and I are better than 99% accurate on this all the time).

all true. I'll go even further- a true baseball fan is defined as somebody who pays enough attention and knows enough about the game that, given the situation (base runners, outs, score, defensive positioning, count) can tell you what pitch is coming (including location) and be right a minimum of 75% of the time. A true baseball fan can tell when the ball leaves the bat whether or not it's going out (O.Z.O. Jr. and I are better than 99% accurate on this all the time).

To me at least it's more aural than visual. That almost soft clean click more than the "crack" of the bat that is used as a common descriptive. (But I'm probably no longer a true fan. I'm on here instead of watching all the games).

Cheers

"Baseball fan" is defined as a fan who watches every pitch.

I have watched every Red Sox pitch since 1997, 2 years in prison then when I got my first TiVo. Before that my girlfriend wouldn't let me go home a 7 pm. That sad, she bought me that TiVo.

I have watched every Red Sox pitch since 1997, 2 years in prison then when I got my first TiVo. Before that my girlfriend wouldn't let me go home a 7 pm. That sad, she bought me that TiVo.

Johnlocke dup? :spock:

Cheers, :toast: BostonTim

Buck Showalter really screwed the pooch last night. Not using Zach Britton. Just wow.

Anyway I see a Sox-Jays ALCS & Cubs-Nats NLCS.

I would like to see the Nats make the show, Joe Maddon gets under my skin, but Dusty Baker in kind of the Marty Schottenheimer of Baseball.

For anyone amazed how badly Showalter screwed up last night, get ready for it again with Farrell. He's the fatal flaw in this team and he'll make an idiotic mistake like that to cost this team everything. Take it to the bank.

For anyone amazed how badly Showalter screwed up last night, get ready for it again with Farrell. He's the fatal flaw in this team and he'll make an idiotic mistake like that to cost this team everything. Take it to the bank.

the difference is that he's managed to avoid enough landmines to actually bring one home.

Showalter is like the Groundhog Day version of Grady Little.

Back