i needz a gun

no, just home protection but i don't want someone breaking in and shooting me with my own gun :shrug:

Another thing is if someone does break into your home while you are there you need to mentally prepare yourself to go to work. A typical burgler will case your place & rob you when your not there. Anyone who breaks in while you're home is usually desperate has no problem with causing you harm. It's one thing to aim, it's another to pull the trigger. Chances are a person will never break while you're there.

A shot gun can be kept under your bed with the shells in your night stand

I've read more then a couple articles advocating shotguns for home protection for a variety off good reason

1. Hand guns are inaccurate as hell (well not inaccurate per see, but hard as hell to aim)
Try and hit a coke can 20ft away with a hand gun.....it actually takes pratice

2. The average person will never be calm enough to fire a hand gun well under duress

3. Shotguns are loud (and that's good)

4. A drunk baby can hit something 20ft away with 00 buck

thanks, i will be taking lessons and practicing, the few couple of times i've been in intense situations i've gotten very centered rather than jumpy, i haven't some much as had a beer since 1988.
by intense i mean someone showing up at the door and putting a gun in my face. this was back in my drug selling days

I recommend a shotgun if it's for home protection. Handguns are great but I don't think they're great home protection for the novice. If you've actually got to use it, it's not as difficult as you think to miss your target. A shotgun is just point in the direction and fire.

Handguns for home protection aren't for the guy who goes to the range once a year.

A Glock would be a good choice if you do decide a handgun though. I recommend the 10MM though. I find the 9MM is a little less power than you need in some instances.

Again, start with a shotgun IMHO.

I recommend a shotgun if it's for home protection. Handguns are great but I don't think they're great home protection for the novice. If you've actually got to use it, it's not as difficult as you think to miss your target. A shotgun is just point in the direction and fire.

Handguns for home protection aren't for the guy who goes to the range once a year.

A Glock would be a good choice if you do decide a handgun though. I recommend the 10MM though. I find the 9MM is a little less power than you need in some instances.

Again, start with a shotgun IMHO.

thanks i will consider it
for now its sleep :zzz:

thanks, i will be taking lessons and practicing, the few couple of times i've been in intense situations i've gotten very centered rather than jumpy, i haven't some much as had a beer since 1988.
by intense i mean someone showing up at the door and putting a gun in my face. this was back in my drug selling days

You've led a charmed life sir :)

I'm just speaking form my own experience with hand guns

the last time a friend took me out shooting, and we put up a wooden target about 30 feet away
I successfully missed with with a whole clip of 45
It was well below the high water mark of my life

Concealed carry? Home protection? You live alone now, but could that change? If it's just for home protection, why a handgun? Shotguns can be nicely intimidating...and you can go shooting with Matt Light.

You say target shooting once a year, but if you are truly serious about using your weapon for self defense then you need to treat it better than the other weapon and pull it out much more often.

How large a man are you? Does the handgun fit your hand comfortably or do you feel like you're holding a cannon or JD's micro matchbox? What handguns have you fired before?

When it absolutely, positively cannot live to see tomorrow:
RocketPropelledChainsaw.jpg

If you aren't going to carry, a Glock is hard to beat, easy to clean, reliable, stick with 9mm, no reason to go bigger, a .40 is a lot more kick but ballistically not a whole lot more of anything else. A .45 is probably over the top although I use a nice Colt Defender as my daily carry weapon but that's as much a personal choice as anything. If you are concerned enough to want to have a gun locked and loaded, then I'd recommend something single action so you can keep it cocked and locked and safetied and would maybe suggest a Browning Hi Power (if you have small hands this might not be as good an idea). The other thing about 9mm is it's a lot cheaper than .40 or .45 and easier to find now that everyone has gone into panic mode about ammo getting ubertaxed by Obama. If it's just for under the bed, I agree with everyone else, 12 gauge, mossberg 500, available for very cheap, very effective, doesn't require much practice. I have one for just such a purpose in case the wife ever needs it. Point and shoot, not much else to worry about, plus the smaller shot has less chance of going through interior walls and creating more havoc...

i decided some time ago that once i got moved i would be purchasing a handgun for protection. I'll be taking lessons as part of the purchase of course. Can you wise planeteers give me some advice on what type, brand, and caliber i should get?

I dunno anything about guns, just don't store it loaded and under your pillow. That's the end of my gun advice.

Glock 17 9mm $$
Sig p226 .40cal $$$
Ruger SR9 9mm $$
Kimber 1911 45cal $$$
Colt 1911 45cal $$

For a CCW piece....

Kahr PM9 $$$
Kel-Tec PF9 $
Springfield XD sub-compact $$

For very good reviews of various pieces....

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy

Depends where you live whether you can even buy any of those guns. If you are in California you probably have similiar laws to us in Mass.

No Springfields, Kimbers, kahrs, Glocks, Keltecs, most Sigs, nothing with a mag over 10 rounds.

Like PatsBlue said, buy the Glock if you can. Cleaning guns sucks and the Glock literally takes 5 mins to take apart, clean and put back together. I bought a Generation 1, refurbished to get around the laws in mass. If it was already here before the ban...then it's legal to own. I also have (2) 13 round mags with it and bought (2) 10 rounders for spares. I have the same thing, Glock 21; .45 caliber...I like having guns with common ammo and the .45 has been around for like 100 years.

I have a Sig P230 as well .380 caliber. It's small enough that my wife can use it should I not be home

Just remember when you buy it don't keep it in you sweat pants. Shot yourself in the leg with it.

Nice thing about a 12 gauge is that if someone does break in your house they will high tail it out as soon as they hear the pump action. That said a 9 is nice first gun. Fast round & very little recoil. If you get a handgun you need to practice, practice & practice some more. It takes a while before you get comfortable & accurate.

Also, you can get a Remington 870 express pretty cheap. I use mine as a turkey gun and before the sights/sling etc, I think I paid about $250.

Also, you can get a Remington 870 express pretty cheap. I use mine as a turkey gun and before the sights/sling etc, I think I paid about $250.

Shit, I picked up a Winchester 1200 Defender (an old squad car gun) for 80 bucks at a gun show. Outside it had some missing blueing and some scratches, but inside it looked like it was NEVER fired once.

Smith and Wesson 40 caliber shot one at the gun range in attleboro Ma.
SW40ve.jpg

Back