If you got lost hiking, what's your best survival advice?

I watched Meru last night on Showtime.

I saw Everest in IMAX and I thought it had stunning cinematography, crap, Meru puts it to shame.

Thanks for the tip. I tend to love this sort of flick and never heard of Meru until you mentioned it.

:thumb:

I watched Meru last night on Showtime.

I saw Everest in IMAX and I thought it had stunning cinematography, crap, Meru puts it to shame.

I just wanted to plug this film which OPT has nicely brought to our attention.

It is stunning. I only wish I saw it on a big screen. It is a docupic in real time concerning 3 world-class mountaineers who attempt a peak that had never been fully climbed and it is well worth viewing. It's got drama, heroics and the kind of stupidity you just don't run across everyday.

I can't believe that they were able to actually film this stuff as it happened and neither will you.

And yet, I spent a lot of time as a young man going in there and bringing those stupid ****s out ROFL

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Especially with my suppressed short-barreled M4. :coffee:

You cheating bugger! You could at least charge my encampment, covered in warpaint, with a tomahawk! :spank:

I'm heading up to Maine later on this month when school gets out and I was hoping to go on a hike. I'll be staying in the Moosehead Lake area (Lakeville) and I'll think about this post the entire time.

Thanks!!!

need ideas for hikes in that area just ask...and here is a real good site for researching trails in maine

http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails

Really interesting 1st article. Lengthy, but informative for a novice hiker.

novice or expert anybody who spends any time in the woods will learn from this.

expert at hiking does not make you expert at survival when lost.

novice or expert anybody who spends any time in the woods will learn from this.

expert at hiking does not make you expert at survival when lost.

That may have come across wrong.

I'm by no means expert.

Just started a couple years ago. Though I did spend thousands of hours wandering SE Mass as a child with fishing gear, pellet gun, or both.

The psych aspect of it was most interesting. As a HUGE fan of the show Alone you see it take its toll. And they're there voluntarily. Very interesting how the stages play off each other.

Gotta laugh at MA being dead last in the country SAR! Guess our taxes aren't high enough.

When I worked at a state park in CA we showed a video to school groups about the two most important things to bring on a hike: a whistle and a large trash bag. The idea was if you ever got lost, to find a tree and stay there. If you got cold or it started raining, you tear a hole in the bottom of the trash bag for your head to go through and use the bag as an emergency shelter. The whistle was to blow on every 10 minutes or so.
Many, many kids have been lost in the woods and keep moving around. If they'd stayed in one place, rescuers would've found them way sooner. In too many cases, rescuers have been very close to a lost person (like the woman in Maine mentioned above) but missed them. A whistle allows you to make a lot of noise without losing your voice.

When I was on the fire dept. back home, it was guaranteed that several times each summer we would get called for a lost hiker on the AT or Monument Mountain. People from the city would hike up and watch the sunset and would be unprepared for how dark and cold it gets in the woods. It's never actually dark in the city, so they wouldn't have flashlights or even a sweatshirt. The smart ones would stay put on the trail and take the walk of shame down with the FD when we got to them. The others would try to find their way down and fall, getting all busted up. Then we'd have to search for them, treat their injuries and hypothermia, and carry their worthless asses down the mountain on a stretcher. Moral of the story, stay put if you get lost and it is dark.

I'd make it a point to always hike with a soft pudgy partner.

That way if you're lost for 10-12 hrs and you have to sacrifice them the meat is nice and tender.

Just have to remember the Montreal Steak shaker.

Its been a while, 15+ years since I was a "peak bagger" in the White Mountains. I did that loop in the Summer of 1999. It is memorable to be sure. All of them give a hell of a view.

That's a busy loop, even in the winter.

1458650_10151844821698037_1090428144_n.jpg

1463165_10151844821683037_1670462977_n.jpg

There's some real nonsense on here. You're all Americans, so are highly likely to be hiking in areas with fierce bears, snakes, survivalist nuts, Mobsters burying rivals and characters from Deliverance.

Being lost is the least of your worries; being eaten and/or ravaged and/or tortured as a "Guvmint spy" are much more likely.

Next time you go hiking, take an M60 or similar, a couple of belts of ammo, M4 in case it jams, Night Vision stuff, a Ghillie suit, RPG and a pile of landmines.

Spread the landmines around your encampment. Get some placards and spread them around. Write "liberals/fresh ass/Govt. spies this way". Point in the arrows so that your targets will run over the landmines.

Hopefully, the landmines, RPG and guns will fend everyone off until help arrives.
This is solid advice even if it comes from a dirty Limey.

I'd make it a point to always hike with a soft pudgy partner.

That way if you're lost for 10-12 hrs and you have to sacrifice them the meat is nice and tender.

Just have to remember the Montreal Steak shaker.
I was wondering why you wanted to go hiking with me.

:rolleyes:

Back