If you got lost hiking, what's your best survival advice?

All these people telling you not to panic are pussies. You should definitely panic.

Any knob can survive the wilderness while calm cool and collected. A real man can survive when he's off his gourd on adrenaline. You didn't go out into the woods to be a pussy. You went into the woods to be a man.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Also, according to Bear Grylls, the correct answer is always "drink your own urine." Even if fresh clean drinking water is available.

And learn how to make knots.

Now you don't want to pick a tree that's too high though do you? After the passing and you wanna make sure you are giving your body to the nature. Don't need to waste meat.

Also, according to Bear Grylls, the correct answer is always "drink your own urine." Even if fresh clean drinking water is available.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8D9B1q4tC30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:coffee:

If you do go hiking, things that you should bring with you include these:

water
trailmap
water
knife/multi-tool
water
space blanket
water
flashlight/headlamp
water
first aid kit
water
food

You may notice that I have not included a compass on my list. I have been hiking for decades, and I've never been in a position where I've needed one (granted, when I go hiking, I always go somewhere where there is a trail system).

All of the rest of the items above have proven useful. And other than water and food, they don't take up much space or weigh very much.

Other items to consider are extra woolen socks (can be used as mittens if needed), rope, and plastic bags. Paper and a Sharpie or other writing implement can sometimes come in handy (e.g. sending a SOAP note in case of injury to a member of the hiking party).

If you're a user of hiking poles, an old trick is to wrap a few turns of duct tape around each pole. Sometimes comes in handy.

If you find yourself having to survive in colder temperatures, it's a good idea to work really hard and get a good sweat going. Like soak your clothes sweat.

This will make the hypothermia set in faster which increases the chances of going into a cytogenetic state. That way you can essentially hibernate until help arives.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Pro-tip: all mushrooms are edible and water-borne illness is a myth created by Brita to sell filters.

If you have to resort to cannibalism (which lets face it, why else get lost in the woods). Human flesh most resembles pig flesh, so keep that in mind when you're trying to figure out the best way to cook up one of your hiking companions.

For tougher cuts like shoulders and legs, longer cooking methods are best which gives the connective tissue time to break down leading to a more tender piece of Frank or whoever.

If you do go hiking, things that you should bring with you include these:

water
trailmap
water
knife/multi-tool
water
space blanket
water
flashlight/headlamp
water
first aid kit
water
food

You may notice that I have not included a compass on my list. I have been hiking for decades, and I've never been in a position where I've needed one (granted, when I go hiking, I always go somewhere where there is a trail system).

All of the rest of the items above have proven useful. And other than water and food, they don't take up much space or weigh very much.

Other items to consider are extra woolen socks (can be used as mittens if needed), rope, and plastic bags. Paper and a Sharpie or other writing implement can sometimes come in handy (e.g. sending a SOAP note in case of injury to a member of the hiking party).

If you're a user of hiking poles, an old trick is to wrap a few turns of duct tape around each pole. Sometimes comes in handy.

That's a very strong list. I always have all of the above. Especially water.

A few years ago I had a hike up and over a steep ridge to another site and it was long grind with a full pack on a warm day. I started with a large Camelback and wiped that out in about 5 hours. I was going through water at an unprecedented rate for some reason. I had assumed that a spring would be available on the mountain for a refill. However, that spring was dry that season and so was I. Very. Over the next few hours I went into dehydration and at one point I was side-stepping on an narrow toehold trail with nothing but air beneath me and my legs and arms started not doing what my brain was telling them to do. I was shaking pretty bad and was mighty parched. I wasn't really in danger, but that wasn't fun.

Anyhow, I now use a 100oz. Geiggerig hydration bag and also a water filter AND nalgene bottles. It's extra weight, but never again am I going to be THAT thirsty if I can help it.

A few trips later I was wading through a flood zone with about 9 pounds of water on my back. I've since calmed down a little.

Also, I wrap both my poles and nalgene bottles in duct tape. You can get a healthy amount on them and it makes the bottles more durable.

If you can see the sun and have a watch, you don't need one.

If you have a digital watch, you'll have to fake the hour hand of a clock with your fingers.

Note, this works for standard time, not daylight savings time

Point the hour hand at the sun. Exactly halfway between the hour hand and the 12:00 position is due south in the northern hemisphere and due north in the southern hemisphere.

If you're on the equator, you're f*cked.

First decision is are you going to try and walk out or wait for rescue.

If you're in a relatively small area, and civilization is relatively close, the weather and terrain isn't extreme, and you're uninjured, then trying to walk out is probably the better choice.

Otherwise, stay put.

If you stay put you use less energy, you can make a shelter and stay dryer and warmer, and most importantly a stationary target is easier to find than a moving one.

If you're stationary, once the searchers check a grid, they can cross it off and not have to look there again.

If you're moving, they have to keep checking all the areas they've already searched.

WINNER!
As a former State Park Ranger I declare this answer: WINNER!

Even on a short hike, if your in the right area there is a point where all the noise from the road disappears. That's where the magic starts.

The sound of the wind, the way sunlight filters through trees, I highly recommend it. One of the best forms of stress relief ever invented.

But don't be the person doing a 5 mile loop with 1200 ft of elevation gain carrying a pint of Poland Spring and a snickers bar wearing flip flops, you won't enjoy yourself that way.

Even on a short hike, if your in the right area there is a point where all the noise from the road disappears. That's where the magic starts.

The sound of the wind, the way sunlight filters through trees, I highly recommend it. One of the best forms of stress relief ever invented.

But don't be the person doing a 5 mile loop with 1200 ft of elevation gain carrying a pint of Poland Spring and a snickers bar wearing flip flops, you won't enjoy yourself that way.

Thirty years ago when I was in the field surveying we would often walk away from the noise.

One day after a fresh snow, in an area empty of human development, we walked into the site. Hiking in at 7 am and coming out at 4 pm was just a great way to spend the day.

that said we would always know where we were, where to go and how to get out of there, well not all of us. One day we worked late and working with my brother we would tease the new kids from Northeastern about being lost and the sun going down. Now we were 100' from an obvious gas easement and our cut traverse line was visible so we never thought the kid would panic. so I point across an isolated wetland and say something like "based on the sun and time the road is that way" and point across the swamp. The kid, in his panic, just starts running across the swamp afraid we are spending the night in the woods. It was the craziest thing I ever saw.
When we finally calmed him down and take about a 5 minute walk to the truck and the next day we brought him in, handed him the plans, and USGS maps and explained to him how to get in and out if he ever got lost. I swear it was insane the panic this kid displayed. He was about to fall into a swamp in 25 degree weather.

The area was adjacent to balancing rock and so over developed today it sucks.

Back