Is the NFL fun to watch anymore?

Football is still fun.

The media coverage of football however is decidedly less so.

Can't see why you'd enjoy it under any circumstances-

Week 1- Chargers kick-off season

Week 2- Chargers eliminated from playoffs

Chargers 3-1 VS NFC west and actualy beat the seahawks in week 2 by 9 pts

try to match that on february 1st :)

The trolls are having a field day with this. Logic keeps destroying that augment . I enjoying NFL network right now. There talking about football & matchups . Not some stupid deflate gate crap.

The DPI flags are being held a little tighter, and that helps.
I definitely confine my pregame watching to the NFL network these days, though- the scandalmongering seems to be less there (hey, its their own network).

The blizzard of flags is the worst impediment to enjoying the game these days, to me.

I agree that the flags are being held tighter, but all it does in my eyes is phuck things up even worse.

There is simply no consistency from year-to-year with what is being called when. Define the phucking rules clearly, enforce them fairly and consistently and a lot of the crazy stuff goes away. Preseason was a flag festival and we were assured this is the new reality. 18 weeks later they're letting everybody bang away and holding onto the hankies. Truth.

I don't really believe Rog and crew are interested in what we think. As long as we are watching he'll treat us like so many idiots.

I'm starting to find the college game more pleasurable where I don't have a rooting interest.

I have a bias for most NFL teams and then get perturbed where in the college game I 'm more neutral.

Each passing year do think about leaving the nfl. But then get sucked back in.

Did not watch last weeks game purposely but not sure why.

When in high school went skating on SB Sunday when the games were usually blowouts.
Good move because all the high school girls were out on the ice.:wink:

Officiating.

NFL-Replacement-Refs.jpg

Chargers 3-1 VS NFC west and actualy beat the seahawks in week 2 by 9 pts

try to match that on february 1st :)

Yeah because regular season = Super Bowl

But if that let's you sleep at night...

No clue why the still allow you to post since you've been annoying for weeks now.

There is a sense to me that the league has lost sight of what made it great.

Someone asked me once how I felt about the high salaries players were getting to play a game. I responded, "someone is going to make that money and I don't watch a game to see the owner."

The NFL has a million rules that are about nothing. You can get fined for wearing your socks wrong. They were going to bar Marshawn Lynch from the NFC championship game for wearing unacceptable cleats, really.

IMO the league needs to pull out the rule book and have a long frank discussion about what really matters and then eliminate all the BS. They've become like a government agency, once something becomes a "rule" it is transformed into something holy which can never be questioned.

Does it really matter to anyone watching what color towel the QB uses to wipe his hands?

Yeah BD as the league has become more revenue driven, that stuff has gotten ridiculous. That's part of my rant with the "making money is fine but don't alter the quality of the game to do it". There have long been uniform police, so I don't mind some standards there. But fining guys for wearing the wrong headphones is just crap.

Totally agree about the adverts. It's a real pain in the arse and something they're going to have to stop if they want to maintain or grow audiences.

Another thing I've noticed is CBS's fetish for replays, even when the Pats are blatantly running hurry up. I've reached a point where I sort of look forward to my UK football season more. Part of that is my direct involvement in the game as a stats guy, but it's also to do with the game being king. We just play the game and cut out all the other crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not going anywhere but the rules have changed so much since I was a kid that the game has lost historical perspective. Dez Bryant's non-catch was a catch only a few years ago, for example.

I'm not going anywhere but the rules have changed so much since I was a kid that the game has lost historical perspective. Dez Bryant's non-catch was a catch only a few years ago, for example.

This (and the tuck rule) are instances of trying to legislate every little thing.

Does it really matter if TB wants his ball pumped to say 10.5 PSI and Aaron Rogers wants his at 14.5? Does it really effect "the integrity of the game" whatever the hell that is supposed to be?

The NFL needs a huge dose of "chill the **** out"

I don't need to hear Marshawn Lynch give "interviews"

I was not offended when Randy Moss fake mooned the Packers fans.

I don't give one little **** if Wide Receivers wear knee pads or not.

I don't care if I can only see one inch of the alternate colored sock under the primary colored sock, or whether I see it at all for that matter.

I don't care what color cleats players wear.

I don't care if player A wears a Nike cap on the sidelines while his position coach wears an Under Armour hat.

Think about this for a second...

This league and pundits far and wide are lecturing the Pats about the integrity of the game being compromised because the football was a bit softer than it was supposed to be. This is the same league that rolled out High School Officials to call regular season games that counted. What was a bigger stain on the game, soft balls or the Fail Mary?

This isn't about what the Pats have or have not done. It's the league and the coverage. I used to love the game analysis during the week between games. In the old days, I used to buy all the newspapers and read the sports pages from front to back, absorbing all the analysis.

Now it's more about the scandals, the replays (was it a catch or not a catch), the court cases, etc. For three hours a week, I can enjoy a game (these past two games were two of the most fun I've attended), but I can't enjoy the time in between anymore.

Right on. It's like the media just loves to stir up shit. This deflate-gate thing is totally bizarre. I have no idea what happened to those footballs. But if they were checked and found legal when first submitted, then what the hell?

Are they alleging that Tom squeezed the ball too tight and caused 2 psi to disappear or some other even weirder conspiracy theory?

Right on. It's like the media just loves to stir up shit. This deflate-gate thing is totally bizarre. I have no idea what happened to those footballs. But if they were checked and found legal when first submitted, then what the hell?

Are they alleging that Tom squeezed the ball too tight and caused 2 psi to disappear or some other even weirder conspiracy theory?

The stupid thing about this is that the Colts players have all said (apparently) that it didn't affect the score. It's crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back