Jet #2 Post-game thread

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ck-doesnt-think-team-should-have-been-flagged

Pats coach Bill Belichick doesn't think team should have been flagged
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
October 20, 2013 7:40 pm ET

Bill Belichick disagreed with the officials' decision to flag Chris Jones. (USATSI)
The Patriots' latest come-from-behind win, this time against the Jets, officially fell short when Nick Folk stroked a 42-yard field goal with 5:07 left in overtime. But the writing was on the wall three plays earlier when Folk missed a 56-yarder that would've given the Patriots the ball on their 46-yard line.
One problem: New England defensive lineman Chris Jones was flagged for a little known rule, New York was awarded a first down and the drive continued.

Rule 9.1.3.2 states that "Team B players cannot push teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation," which is what Jones did.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, predictably dour, disagreed with the call.

"We weren't on the second level when we pushed him, no," Belichick said after the game. "You can't push from the second level. I didn't think we did that."

VP of officiating Dean Blandino explained the rule that has been on the books since the offseason.

"When you look at the play, you can see New England No. 94 pushing New England No. 74 into the (offensive) formation," he said, via NFL.com. "That's a violation of the rule, it was put in for player safety, and it is the correct call."

The MMQB.com's Greg Bedard tweeted that examples of the violation the league showed coaches during the offseason were of linebackers lining up behind defensive lineman. But according to Blandino's explanation, Jones, a defensive lineman, still should have been flagged.

Jones was asked after the game what happened.

"It was something we talked about probably during camp," the rookie said, via MassLive.com's Nick Underhill. "It skipped out of my mind. It was my mistake and nobody else's. I just got to man up to it and fix it next time. …

"Obviously we lost, and it sucks," Jones continued. "It's going to hurt for a little bit, but we just got to bounce back next week."

Please. If the same call went in the Pats direction, you'd be on here talking about how it was the right call. 95% of football fans never heard of the tuck rule until it was a called in the Pats favor and I'm guessing you had no problem with that one. Posted via Mobile Device

Besides that it was called AGAINST the Patriots that same regular season?
:coffee:

And, most of the 5% who had heard of the tuck rule must have been Jets fans, since they benefited from a tuck rule call in their favor in a previous game that same season - against the Pats.

You would think. :coffee:

And also, it's not our fault if "95%" of football fans are idiots. :harumph:

Fair enough. That call wasn't the reason we lost the game anyway.
Agreed. Very tough game today on both sides. The Jets were fortunate to come out with a win.
Posted via Mobile Device

BS!!!! I would have said we got lucky on that call, and will take the win, but there is no way I would be gloating about that BS fvcking call period...No ifs and's or Butts...Also my hatred for the Jets just went up ten fold and I don't think that's even possible...

I never said or showed where I was gloating. It's just the way the call went today.
Posted via Mobile Device

So your saying we wouldn't have gotten a couple first downs and kicked the winning field goal if the penalty never happen? I didn't know you were related to Jean Dixon...I feel so much better...

Can you say the would've?
Posted via Mobile Device

But the Ref was 100% correct and there was no grey area for interpretation...Unlike this call, which was a so grey it could have hid the zebras getting their Bonus from Godell, and a wink and a nod...:coffee:
Please show me where it's grey area is. You cannot push your player from behind, that's what the rule says, so where is this grey area you speak of?
Posted via Mobile Device

The o-line for the most part absolutely sucked in the third quarter, and I thought Nate Solder was especially bad. I'll have to watch it again later, but that 3rd quarter was just awful. BTW, Brady needs to get his act together quick, as Blaine Gabbart could do what he did today.
:huh:
I did say 4th and OT. They were awful in the 3rd.

Please show me where it's grey area is. You cannot push your player from behind, that's what the rule says, so where is this grey area you speak of?
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't look like a push. It looked to me he was following his lead....
Posted via Mobile Device

And, most of the 5% who had heard of the tuck rule must have been Jets fans, since they benefited from a tuck rule call in their favor in a previous game that same season - against the Pats.
I never claimed that it wasn't a rule or that it was called incorrectly. I just find it amusing that when an "Iffy" calls goes the Pats way, it's ok but when it goes against them, it's a totally different story.
Posted via Mobile Device

I read somewhere that TB completed less than 40% of his throws over 10 yards last year. This seems to be becoming a trend. If you cannot throw the mid level pass, the defense will clog the short ones. And the short ones are becoming a problem for him, too.

I went over to the ESPN statistics website. Coming into today, TB had completed 34.1% of his passes over 10 yards this year. Today's efforts, if he was 4/20, will bring that down to around 31%. That cannot continue, or we are in a lot of trouble. Those are Tim Tebow numbers.

Didn't look like a push. It looked to me he was following his lead....
Posted via Mobile Device

That still doesn't answer my question though, just because you didn't see it from your couch, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

I never claimed that it wasn't a rule or that it was called incorrectly. I just find it amusing that when an "Iffy" calls goes the Pats way, it's ok but when it goes against them, it's a totally different story.
Posted via Mobile Device

For Pats fans, on a Pats fan board? Sure. Now, let's say - hypothetically - those Pats fans were on, for example, a Jets board defending those "iffy" calls that gave the Pats a win over the Jets, then those Pats fans are douchebags.

For Pats fans, on a Pats fan board? Sure. Now, let's say - hypothetically - those Pays fans were on, for example, a Jets board defending those "iffy" calls that gave th Pats a win over the Jets, then those Pats fans are douchebags.
Opinions vary.......I wouldn't think so if the pats fans on a jets board were not acting like douches just as my bro and I are not acting like douches

That still doesn't answer my question though, just because you didn't see it from your couch, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw it in slo mo and IMO it was a fvckimg joke Period.. The timing was also suspect.. That penalty could be called on every field goal attempt then....
Posted via Mobile Device

For Pats fans, on a Pats fan board? Sure. Now, let's say - hypothetically - those Pats fans were on, for example, a Jets board defending those "iffy" calls that gave the Pats a win over the Jets, then those Pats fans are douchebags.
Agreed. But I've been on here long enough and talked enough shite about the Jets when they deserve it to be given the benefit of the doubt. IMHO.
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw it in slo mo and IMO it was a fvckimg joke Period.. The timing was also suspect.. That penalty could be called on every field goal attempt then....
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm guessing we'll never agree but he clearly left his spot and pushed his teammate from behind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back