John Tomase's explanation

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
Boston Herald reporter John Tomase pens a piece for Friday's editions explaining where the Feb. 2 story -- claiming that a member of the Patriots' video department taped the Rams' walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI -- went wrong.
The piece is 1,449-words and details the process that led the story going to print.
It ends this way:
"I take immense pride in what I do and the paper I work for. I truly believe it’s a privilege to serve as a link between the fans and their team.
On Feb. 2, I let you all down. Today I hope to begin the long road back."

More...

"B;ah blah blah... On Feb. 2, I let you all down. Today I hope to begin the long road back."

Hopefully it's a ****ing Death March and some imperial jap soldier thinking the war is still on 60 years later steps out of the jungle and bayonets your slow waddling ass and leaves you to rot on the side of that road you fat ****.

How can this guy not get fired? He basically admitted he wrote a huge, damning story on an "assumption" based on hearsay. How can the Herald keep this douche and expect anyone to believe anything they ever print again?

That's IT??? That's his story? He heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend, had no direct corraboration from anyone but felt confident he had the facts nonetheless? And where is the explanation for the hatchet piece he wrote Tuesday AFTER Walsh had said there was no taping and no spying and then took down three hours later? Pats fans have gone through four months of abuse and derision (not to mention the coaches, players, and the rest of the organization) for this piece of shit?

I've never trusted the politicians but at least I used to take some solace in thinking I could trust the press to keep them somewhat honest. Recent history has told me the press is as incompetent and full of liars as the pols. What's left? Very sad. :confused:

Not good enough. He wrote a story based on a rumor and waned to be first in line to tell the story. He ****ed up. He should be fired.

Not good enough. He wrote a story based on a rumor and waned to be first in line to tell the story. He ****ed up. He should be fired.

Exactly. When he heard that the New York Times was on to the Walsh story, he wanted to make sure he was the first one to report the SB XXXVI walk-through taping. Disgraceful on his part, and he is a coward for not just owning up to that in the article. I never really liked Tomase anyway, but after this fiasco I will be reading Reiss's blog 100% of the time.

Unacceptable.

Not even close.

I'm done with the Herald, a paper I held in higher regards than the other rag in town. Not anymore. I'll still read Reiss online and that is it.

They are milking this for all it is worth. Tony Maz can go fvck himself too.

Good bye Herald, good riddance.

Unbelievable.

How can this guy not get fired? He basically admitted he wrote a huge, damning story on an "assumption" based on hearsay. How can the Herald keep this douche and expect anyone to believe anything they ever print again?

You're kidding, right? Isn't the Herald the same rag that employs Tony The High-Pitched Weasel Masserotti, as well as the high-stepping pointy-hood-wearing subject of my avatar? They AIM for douche.

Not that the Globe's much better. Frankly, both Boston papers suck bull testicles.

You're kidding, right? Isn't the Herald the same rag that employs Tony The High-Pitched Weasel Masserotti, as well as the high-stepping pointy-hood-wearing subject of my avatar? They AIM for douche.

Not that the Globe's much better. Frankly, both Boston papers suck bull testicles.

Well I don't live in Boston so I don't know the papers reps -- maybe he will be made Editor in Chief now, based on his blackbelt level of doucheness.

I've been willing to cut Tomase a lot of slack here, thinking there might be more to this story than meets the eye. Having read his explanation, I'm now in the majority camp: he should resign or be fired.

He took a few rumors, pieced them together with some coincidental information, and in an effort to make a name for himself by getting the big scoop, lobbed a bomb at the Patriots' feet right before possibly the biggest game in NFL history. So in the end, the damage he did was for admittedly selfish and lazy reasons. His editor needs to be punished as well - the story was simply too big at the time to allow for this type of tabloid journalism.

Sometimes, the enormity of the problems you cause cannot be fixed with an apology. He's got to go. You throw the bones and crap out, you pay the price - that's life.

I've been willing to cut Tomase a lot of slack here, thinking there might be more to this story than meets the eye. Having read his explanation, I'm now in the majority camp: he should resign or be fired.

He took a few rumors, pieced them together with some coincidental information, and in an effort to make a name for himself by getting the big scoop, lobbed a bomb at the Patriots' feet right before possibly the biggest game in NFL history. So in the end, the damage he did was for admittedly selfish and lazy reasons. His editor needs to be punished as well - the story was simply too big at the time to allow for this type of tabloid journalism.

Sometimes, the enormity of the problems you cause cannot be fixed with an apology. He's got to go. You throw the bones and crap out, you pay the price - that's life.

For some reason I am imagining a similar letter from the government of Germany with a headline "Sorry, Jews" being about as meaningful and effective.

I read that and said to myself "that's all?"

Disappointing. Oh well, I'll never read him or his paper again. Time to move on.
He apparently remains loyal to a "source" that lied to him. Too bad.

Bullshit :mad:

Both he and the editor who decided to run the story should be gone.

I'll be interested to see if he shows up at the media tent during training camp. I'm truly hoping that there's loads of verbal abuse heaped on him. He does not deserve to be let off the hook.

Exactly. When he heard that the New York Times was on to the Walsh story, he wanted to make sure he was the first one to report the SB XXXVI walk-through taping. Disgraceful on his part, and he is a coward for not just owning up to that in the article. I never really liked Tomase anyway, but after this fiasco I will be reading Reiss's blog 100% of the time.

So the NY Times was "on" to the story? Hmmm, what team do THEY follow? I can only hope that OUR local media could be more interested in seeing OUR team do well, even if marginally more so than trying to be the next Woodward and Bernstein.

:Eason:

Florio from PFT weighs in with a good analysis

TOMASE EXPLAINS HIS ERROR
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2008, 12:55 a.m.

Reporter John Tomase of the Boston Herald has posted a lengthy, detailed explanation of the events leading to that fateful February 2 story claiming that the Patriots had taped the Rams’ walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

The entire article is right here.

Though we’re trying to give Tomase the benefit of the doubt on this one (something he didn’t give to the Patriots at the time he wrote the story), Tomase’s version of the events comes off as a second-by-second description of a train wreck. In the end, the train still wrecked; all that his story adds to it is the first-hand account of the screeching brakes and the flying glass.

And the engineer with his cranium buried in his caboose.

We can’t help but think that this is all part of a broader, and carefully calculated, P.R. effort aimed at ensuring that Tomase keeps his beat, and that various editors at the Herald keep their jobs.

After all, Tomase’s sharing of details provides a human context to the story of the story, and we think that someone in upper management at the Herald concluded that this would be a prudent way to generate sympathy for Tomase, in the hopes that everyone can move forward as if this never happened.

But we don’t think that can happen. There are too many flaws in the explanation. For example, the original apology implies that Tomase had multiple sources for the story, but Tomase now concedes that the article cited only one source, but then tries to explain that there were in fact more than one: “The story mentioned only a single, unnamed source because in the end,” Tomase writes, “while I had multiple sources relating similar allegations, I relied on one more than the others.”

Other intriguing aspects of Tomase’s explanation include an acknowledgement that the league’s investigation of the situation revealed that there was no power to the cameras. Also, Tomase claims that, when he asked Commissioner Roger Goodell about the rumors of the videotaped walk-through following the “State of the League” address on February 1, Goodell said that it was the first he’d heard of it. After the Herald story was published, Goodell explained that the league previously had investigated the matter and had concluded that the practice had not been videotaped.

Though Tomase refuses to disclose his source or to claim that his source lied to him, the circumstantial evidence continues to point to Walsh.

Think of it this way. We know for a fact that, at one point, Walsh was squawking like a parrot on speed, on an off-the-record basis. So why didn’t Tomase simply ask Walsh for a comment, on or off the record, as to whether the walk-through had been taped? If Walsh would have said to Tomase on an off-the-record basis what Walsh told Goodell face-to-face three days ago, Tomase would have had everything he needed to pull the plug on the story.

In other words, if Walsh’s recent claim that he didn’t tape the walk-through was enough to get the Herald to retract the story, shouldn’t a similar statement from Walsh have been enough to kill it?

This leads to only three possible explanations, as we see it: (1) Tomase didn’t bother to try to contact Walsh before running the story; (2) Tomase contacted Walsh, and Walsh refused to talk about it at all (which would have made no sense if he merely would have been saying was “I didn’t tape the walk-through”); or (3) Walsh was the source.

We believe, based on everything we’ve read and heard, that Walsh was the source. And, if that’s the case, we’d love to know why Walsh told Tomase one thing in February, and the Commissioner something else in May.

All Tomase said was that he thought he was going to get beat in getting the story, so he ignored the fact that his sources were not strong enough.

That's like saying I robbed the bank even though I knew it was wrong, because the money was just sitting there.

Tomase seems truly sorry, but just like the bank robber we stick in jail, Tomase doesn't get a free pass.

jtomase@bostonherald.com

Back