Josh Brown

http://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-no-its-the-fans-who-are-idiots-1788088490

Roger Goodell is not having a great week. He’s off in the U.K. promoting the NFL’s sub-par football product by way of a team whose kicker was revealed this week to have written “I abused my wife” in journal entries from 2013.

A total collapse of the public perception that the league has made any progress on handling violence against women since the Ray Rice era didn’t stop ol’ Rog from sitting down to spin, spin, spin the state of the league.

BBC Sport reporter Richard Conway posted a partial transcript of his sit-down with Goodell today, focusing on the questions about Josh Brown and the league’s wacko rules for touchdown celebrations. Conway wrote that questions that preceded the questions about domestic violence were about the NFL’s hopes for international expansion.

Goodell answered Conway’s first question about touchdown celebrations by saying that “as a professional athlete you’ve got certain standards that you have to meet. You have to dress in a certain way, you have to perform in a certain way and within certain rules. And what anyone does on that field reflects on everybody. And off the field. And that’s why we all focus so much on ‘these are the standards we want to meet’ and lets meet them.”

Conway then asked Goodell to talk about the dichotomy of punishing players for touchdown celebrations, but continuing to mishandle domestic violence investigations. (Shortly after Conway posted the transcript, the league fined Odell Beckham “$24,309 for unsportsmanlike conduct when he took off his helmet during his touchdown celebration Sunday,” per Ralph Vacchiano of SNY.)

Goodell’s answer was essentially: No, it’s actually the fans who are the idiots here.

Conway: The criticism that comes back to you is that people see punishments for touchdown celebrations but then only one game for a domestic violence incident. It must be very difficult to balance those things and explain them?

Goodell: They are. I understand the public’s misunderstanding of those things and how that can be difficult for them to understand how we get to those positions. But those are things that we have to do. I think it’s a lot deeper and a lot more complicated than it appears but it gets a lot of focus.

Let’s see: The NFL has eroded public trust by its handling of players accused of violence against women, its treatment of players suffering brain injuries during and after their careers, and treating the healthy players on the field as assholes for celebrating touchdowns. In the meantime, their product is currently terrible and they can’t figure out why ratings are way, way down. But it’s the fans who are misunderstanding things.

Here’s Goodell’s answer to a question about Brown:

Conway: Lots of positives but it has also been a tumultuous year in terms of the issues the NFL have had to deal with and I know this week with Josh Brown, that’s another thing that has come back as an issue, that’s perhaps overshadowing this weekend in terms of how the League deals with domestic violence. Are you happy in terms of Josh Brown with the investigation that was carried out and the one game punishment that was given to him?

Goodell: Well you have to go and get the facts. We have asked repeatedly for those facts and the information that’s been gathered by law enforcement both orally and in writing. And we weren’t able to get access to it. So you have to make decisions on whatever information you have. We take this issue incredibly seriously. This is something we’ve been working on with policy changes, to educating our players to make sure they understand how they deal with issues with their family, give them resources to be able to deal with this. But when it happens we’re not going to tolerate it. So we have some new information here, we’ll evaluate that in the context of our policy and we’ll take it from there.

While the NFL figures out how to handle yet another botched investigation—which apparently includes telling Josh Brown he was punished only for a May 21, 2015 arrest so that they can use a loophole to punish him again to save face—the kicker has been placed on the Commissioner’s Exempt list and will not travel to London with his team.

Keep talking Roger. Though in fairness you've already removed all doubt.

Cheers

http://nypost.com/2016/10/21/the-entire-josh-brown-mess-inevitable-in-roger-goodells-nfl/

Make no mistake: The Giants erred terribly in their handling of the Josh Brown incident, and they continue to behave like a runaway jalopy. Friday, exhibiting a tin ear so prominent you half expected him to break out in “If I Only Had a Heart,” coach Ben McAdoo actually said this: “We’re not going to turn our back on Josh.”

Well, given Brown’s penchant for violence, I wouldn’t turn my back on him, either — though that’s probably not what McAdoo meant. He meant Brown continues to have the team’s support. Which, even if true, is a ridiculous thing to say publicly at a time when the general public wonders if the Giants have any sense of the disaster area they have become by harboring him.

The Giants, of course, do not live in a vacuum, and so they are not alone in being exposed as a band of bunglers on this whole thing. Not surprisingly, the NFL at large is slowly being exposed — make that re-exposed — as the ultimate gang that couldn’t shoot straight.

While the league did announce Friday that Brown was being placed on the Commissioner’s Exempt List — the same purgatory for wayward football souls that previously had Greg Hardy and Adrian Peterson as residents — this comes only after it has been revealed to be every bit as ineffective (at best) and incompetent (at worst) in investigating its own.

Two years after falling down on the job in its pursuit of the truth during the Ray Rice fiasco — and then pledging, with all of its might, never again to take a subject such as domestic violence so lightly ever again — it certainly looks like the league assembled a Keystone Kops investigation into Brown’s alleged transgressions, replete with clown shoes and banana peels strewn in its wake. Dealing with Brown now is necessary because of charges that the NFL only half-heartedly — at best — sought the whole picture during its initial investigative phase.

Friday, Sheriff John Urquhart of the King County (Wash.) Sheriff’s Office counter-punched the NFL’s complaints that his office had stone walled the investigation. According to Urquhart, the first time he was contacted by NFL investigator Robert Agnew, Agnew never mentioned he actually worked for the NFL, opting instead for a generic email account and a P.O. Box in his correspondence.

“ ‘NFL,’ ‘National Football League,’ he could have [said] any of that,” Urquhart told KIRO radio in Seattle. “We had no idea who this yokel is.”

Yes, Urquhart called Agnew a “yokel.”

He also called him a “goofus.”

Modal Trigger
Josh BrownPhoto: Joseph E. Amaturo
If you believe Urquhart’s account — he put his name behind it, which does suggest a certain credibility — he probably was being kind.

“To our discredit, perhaps, we didn’t use the Google to google this guy’s name,” Urquhart said. “Turns out that he is a security representative based in Seattle for the NFL. But he never told us that. The NFL never told us that. At no time has the NFL ever filed a written request — public disclosure request — for any of these files. Period. It’s never happened.”

Urquhart conceded he still wouldn’t have released the information they had before they had it solid, but said if he knew the NFL was taking an active interest he certainly would have kept them in the loop as the story developed, meaning the NFL — and by association, the Giants — wouldn’t have looked nearly as incompetent as it did when the fresh batch of Brown documents reached the public domain Wednesday.

Why this should be a surprise in Roger Goodell’s NFL, of course, is a fine question. This is an operation that has clearly shown it is more invested in defining the commissioner’s powers — using the forum of the absurd Deflategate non-scandal — than in properly utilizing those powers.

One of the exhausting talking points of this season so far is isolating the reason for the league’s declining TV ratings. Is pro football being hurt by the presidential campaign? By backlash to Colin Kaepernick’s protests? By a spate of unwatchable games? It’s probably all of this, in some percentage. But don’t minimize this possibility: People are officially worn out handing three days of their week over to a league led by such a lightweight as Goodell.

“I don’t like to get pushed around by a bully,” Urquhart said. “I don’t like the NFL taking shots at the Sheriff’s Office when it’s not deserved. For them to say it’s our fault that they only gave them a one-day suspension, that’s just not true.”

No. Whatever fault is due here, much of it is due the Giants. The rest of it, that’s on the NFL. That’s on a league that can’t get out of its own way. And never, ever can.

The disdain and mistrust of the NFL is growing to epic proportions.

The NFL is like NASA: in the '60s, it had a great reputation for efficiency and success despite a lot of their missions just being damned lucky. Despite the total disaster of three astronauts dying in a preventable fire in 1967 during a launch test, they were able to still spin, spin, spin. They came out of the Apollo 13 disaster intact after getting the astronauts back home but gradually the cracks began to show. Once people believed in NASA but then once the mystique was gone, it was just another Government agency that screwed up all the time.

The NFL used to be the league that did everything right compared to MLB and the other leagues. Now they look like the most corrupt, incompetent league around. Apparently the collective I.Q. of the front office is pretty laughable. The quality of the product (before it started decaying the last few years) allowed the corrupt morons to fall into billions.

Yeah, and Kraft obviously never had as much power as we thought, otherwise the excessive punishments for Spygate and Deflategate never would have happened. For a guy always yapping about his brand, he sure let it be severely damaged. No Mara treatment for him! The Giants will skate in this Josh Brown mess.

I know Goodell is hated here but I think these are fair questions now:
  • Was his lack of punishment racially motivated?
  • Was the fix in because this is a New York team?
  • Should he still have a job?

Give me another reason why the automatic 6 game suspension was reduced to 1 game. His ex-wife did not testify on behalf of his character, she just refused to testify like most battered women.

Don't give me Ray Rice because the rule was made after his case.

Give me another reason why the automatic 6 game suspension was reduced to 1 game. His ex-wife did not testify on behalf of his character, she just refused to testify like most battered women.

Number 2 is correct. He was protecting Mara. He won't be fired over it but if the ratings continue to drop then he will be on the chopping block. Money trumps everything.

Jason Cole of Bleaher Report says that the county sherrif says the documents (journal)weren't available to ANYONE (including NFL) before yesterday.
however he said he would have verbally shared information because it is the NFL.

Two things I don't get:

1) Why did the NFL give him one game? Was it the appearance of abuse? I mean either he abused his wife or he didn't. It is either 6 games or none. The 1 game looks just like the 2 games for Rice. So dumb.

2) Who is this Josh Brown exactly that Mara loves him so much? He is not close Adam Vinateri. He has not made any big kicks as the Giants have not been in the playoffs in 4 seasons. I mean, just the cut guy? Does he have dirt on Mara?
it is all about the money and Josh Brown leaking what he knows to the media once he is cut. I wonder if this drags on and he collects his pay this season as hush money about what the Giants and NFL knew and when.

HS, the police records are not public at the time that the NFL went to the Sheriff's dept and requested them. However, the LEO might have verbally discussed some of the contents discovered in the journal or other documents that they had had the NFL representative indicated that he was from the NFL, which King's Cty Sheriff's department came out and very strenuously said that they had no idea who was asking them for the records in response to the NFL's statement that they requested the records.

I tend to believe the Sheriff's dept.
Sheriff admitted he would have verbally shared information with the NFL but, as you point out, the people requesting information never stated where they were from, that the two different representatives were kind of douchebags.

I think it was a racial decision, it has to be right he is white?

I assume the other NY team tampering getting off and now this NY team appearing to obstruct justice is a only a coincidence. this is straight up legit actions.

Look at the income both players and owners are making, do you think they should fire him? Isn't it all about the money and having a fall guy - who is a better fall guy than Roger?

I have to admit changing from 6 games to one makes no sense, it occurred after the rule change, the NFL should have the info based on their response and relocation to the incident.

another funny point is the DV - it isn't funny.

I've heard part of the rationale for allowing Brown to continue to get a payday is that it benefits his ex-wife. IDK. Maybe a deal was struck for most of his pay to go to her.

I've heard part of the rationale for allowing Brown to continue to get a payday is that it benefits his ex-wife. IDK. Maybe a deal was struck for most of his pay to go to her.
if that was the case, the league should still cut his ass and the Giants continue payments only to her and the children.

I agree with the exempt list as they investigate. it saves the 53rd players on the roster - a guy making the minimum and most likely would be cut.

Two years ago Carolina and Minnesota got caught on national TV using a sideline heater to warm footballs. Rather than have their QBs suspended for 4 games, they were issues letters of warning by the league. The QBs were Newton and Bridgewater, both of whom are black. Do you think THAT was racially motivated.

...fukkoutahere with that raced card shit...

Two years ago Carolina and Minnesota got caught on national TV using a sideline heater to warm footballs. Rather than have their QBs suspended for 4 games, they were issues letters of warning by the league. The QBs were Newton and Bridgewater, both of whom are black. Do you think THAT was racially motivated.

...fukkoutahere with that raced card shit...

One doesn't have to do with the other. You're comparing apples to unicorns.

That said, Terrell Suggs can throw bleach on his wife and kid, no one gives a shit. Greg Hardy gets suspended ONLY after the press gets wind of it.

The NFL's position on domestic violence is "We don't give a shit, unless the press hears about it."

Anyone who can point me as to what another position might be, please let me know. :coffee:

That said, Terrell Suggs can throw bleach on his wife and kid, no one gives a shit. Greg Hardy gets suspended ONLY after the press gets wind of it.

The NFL's position on domestic violence is "We don't give a shit, unless the press hears about it."

Anyone who can point me as to what another position might be, please let me know. :coffee:

I know. My point was to show how ridiculous looking at this through a prism of skin color is. Things are what they are until they aren't.

I will do just that as soon as I can locate a DV case where the league has taken the lead and stayed out front on it :coffee:

NFL doesn't give a shit...unless the news affects their brand...

/EFFIN serious.

I beat you to the punch...but, no. Not in this case anyway. Race had nothing to do with this.

Mara/Giants.

Kraft/Pats.

Giants trumps (pun intended) Pats. (NYC).

The NFL has their favorite teams list...and Kraft ain't on the favored list (obvious enough).

Consider yourself NOW informed (case closed). :coffee:

So this scumbag wife beater gets a 1 game suspension, yet TB12 gets 4 without any proof of wrongdoing for supposedly being in on deflating some footballs?

The NFL has some splaining to do.

Anyone else hear Randy Moss give it to Goodell on Sunday Night Countdown last night. Moss told it like it is.

<header class="post-header"> Former Patriots WR Randy Moss Grilled Commissioner Roger Goodell For The NFL’s Problems

Posted on October 24, 2016 by Andrew Tomasi

The NFL is taking heat over the handling of a player involved in allegations of domestic violence. Which means that, once again, questions are being raised about Commissioner Roger Goodell’s leadership, and rightfully so.
</header> In wake of the Josh Brown situation, which saw the NFL blame the King County (Wash.) Sheriff’s Office for the lack of initial punishment given to the Giants kicker for domestic violence, Moss said on ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown that commissioner Roger Goodell is the league’s biggest problem.

“[This is] a bad time to show up now, breast cancer awareness month where we’re supporting the women, and then you come up with this Josh Brown, where it doesn’t seem like we are supporting women,” Moss said. “I think the NFL needs to take a deep look. I think the owners are mad, and Roger Goodell, he is the biggest reason to all of this stuff that’s fallen downhill with the NFL. I have to agree with that.”

http://offthemonstersports.com/2016...issioner-roger-goodell-for-the-nfls-problems/

Anyone else hear Randy Moss give it to Goodell on Sunday Night Countdown last night. Moss told it like it is.

<header class="post-header"> Former Patriots WR Randy Moss Grilled Commissioner Roger Goodell For The NFL’s Problems

Posted on October 24, 2016 by Andrew Tomasi

The NFL is taking heat over the handling of a player involved in allegations of domestic violence. Which means that, once again, questions are being raised about Commissioner Roger Goodell’s leadership, and rightfully so.
</header> In wake of the Josh Brown situation, which saw the NFL blame the King County (Wash.) Sheriff’s Office for the lack of initial punishment given to the Giants kicker for domestic violence, Moss said on ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown that commissioner Roger Goodell is the league’s biggest problem.

“[This is] a bad time to show up now, breast cancer awareness month where we’re supporting the women, and then you come up with this Josh Brown, where it doesn’t seem like we are supporting women,” Moss said. “I think the NFL needs to take a deep look. I think the owners are mad, and Roger Goodell, he is the biggest reason to all of this stuff that’s fallen downhill with the NFL. I have to agree with that.”

http://offthemonstersports.com/2016...issioner-roger-goodell-for-the-nfls-problems/
Moss is correct, it looks bad. .

the NFL allows physical and mental abuse of women unless it is reported to them in the media.

the NFL also likes to talk about respecting women but will place cheerleaders out in costumes that set them up to hear some very offensive language on Sunday.

Back