Kubiak stepping down from Bronco's HC position

A comment from the MANE that is just delicious:

Vance Joseph will go down as the worst hire in Broncos history after McDaniels. Elway = Ryan Grigson in that all the praise he gets as a GM is for winning with a legendary QB and drafting a can't miss talent with a high pick.

Hasn't drafted worth a **** in years. Hired two dopes as coaches now and only hit on the Kubiak hire cos they're mates. Even then he tried to hire this pretender as DC only he wasn't allowed and had to settle for Wade. He's brought in the next McDaniels along with ****ing Trent Baalke for good measure. We won't sniff ten wins combined the next two years.

Dark days ahead folks. Best bite the pillow cos this will hurt

Least the past five years were fun though

And then his gem from the same poster. The Chargers line made me LOL:

The entire league is ****ing laughing their asses off. Huge offensive issues and an all time great defence and we ignore the offensive guru with ties to the organisation and hire the bum who had a talented dolphins defence in the bottom tier of the league and run Wade out of town? Mike ****ing McCoy? San Diego fans would have taken out a hit on him for his playcalling if there were more than ten of them

They are laughing their ****ing asses off at us from Oakland to Boston

He got that last part right. lol

I'm going to make a prediction-

Vance Joseph, or whatever his name is, will be paid AT LEAST one year that he isn't coaching this team. My personal guess is two. I see Rex Ryan-type disintegration with the Donkeys over the next couple seasons.

popcorn

Vance Joseph, or whatever his name is, will be paid AT LEAST one year that he isn't coaching this team. My personal guess is two. I see Rex Ryan-type disintegration with the Donkeys over the next couple seasons.

popcorn

Or, he'll get the Lilly Tomlin treatment...

Vance Joseph, or whatever his name is
, will be paid AT LEAST one year that he isn't coaching this team. My personal guess is two. I see Rex Ryan-type disintegration with the Donkeys over the next couple seasons.

popcorn

Every time I hear/see this name, I always think of this guy:

baee50f0a6f92517b15091201e0b4d5e.jpg

Head scratcher by Elway. I think this means Phillips is gone too.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wade Phillips has agreed to terms to become Rams defensive coordinator, per source.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/819737507839508480">January 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wade Phillips has agreed to terms to become Rams defensive coordinator, per source.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/819737507839508480">January 13, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is stunning that Elway did not retain him. Good for him for finding another job so quickly. Rams have some talent to work with.

As I have said before, Elway's legacy as GM will largely be determined post ManninHGH and so far he has missed the post-season the first season out of the gate and blew up his team ... again.

That is stunning that Elway did not retain him. Good for him for finding another job so quickly. Rams have some talent to work with.

As I have said before, Elway's legacy as GM will largely be determined post ManninHGH and so far he has missed the post-season the first season out of the gate and blew up his team ... again.

Not sad to see Wade move to the NFC - he's one of the top defensive minds in football.

I think Denver is going to take a step back on defense next year:
  • New coordinator has to come in, establish his philosophy, learn the players.
  • Demarcus Ware getting up there in age and unable to stay on the field.
  • Talib too is getting old for a CB (he'll be 31 next year).

They could try to reload in free agency and the draft, but they have so many needs on the offensive side of the ball that addressing defense at the same time is probably a bridge too far.

Not sad to see Wade move to the NFC - he's one of the top defensive minds in football.

I think Denver is going to take a step back on defense next year:
  • New coordinator has to come in, establish his philosophy, learn the players.
  • Demarcus Ware getting up there in age and unable to stay on the field.
  • Talib too is getting old for a CB (he'll be 31 next year).

They could try to reload in free agency and the draft, but they have so many needs on the offensive side of the ball that addressing defense at the same time is probably a bridge too far.
Good points but I am not sure if any it matters. They hired a defensive minded HC and they need the most help on offense. Bringing back a retread in McCoy is just as head scratching as letting Phillips go. When McCoy was there in 2012, ManninHGH junked his offense 5 games into the season after going 2-3 and throwing 3 picks a game. Denver ran the table after that.

I do think Elway is a smart guy but I also think he is impatient and petulant too which are bad traits for a GM. We will see how this all shakes out but much of this looks like knee jerk reaction to an 8-8 season. And also don't forget about the locker room rift between the O and D that Joseph will also have to handle.

One last note, Elway has already said there will be an open competition between Siemian and Lynch for the starting QB position which means they do not have plans to upgrade so they are looking at another season of junk from the most important position on the team.

The Donkeys are about to enter a down cycle. I'm thinking we're going to see a couple 6-10 to 4-12 type seasons out of them before their next ascension.

I'll give Mr. Ed credit though, he managed to squeeze a couple conference championships and a SB win out of the ghost of Peyton ManniHGH due to building a formidable defense.

A comment from the MANE that is just delicious:

Vance Joseph will go down as the worst hire in Broncos history after McDaniels. Elway = Ryan Grigson in that all the praise he gets as a GM is for winning with a legendary QB and drafting a can't miss talent with a high pick.

Hasn't drafted worth a **** in years. Hired two dopes as coaches now and only hit on the Kubiak hire cos they're mates. Even then he tried to hire this pretender as DC only he wasn't allowed and had to settle for Wade. He's brought in the next McDaniels along with ****ing Trent Baalke for good measure. We won't sniff ten wins combined the next two years.

Dark days ahead folks. Best bite the pillow cos this will hurt

Least the past five years were fun though

And then his gem from the same poster. The Chargers line made me LOL:

The entire league is ****ing laughing their asses off. Huge offensive issues and an all time great defence and we ignore the offensive guru with ties to the organisation and hire the bum who had a talented dolphins defence in the bottom tier of the league and run Wade out of town? Mike ****ing McCoy? San Diego fans would have taken out a hit on him for his playcalling if there were more than ten of them

They are laughing their ****ing asses off at us from Oakland to Boston

Did the Broncos hire Baalke as well? Hadn't heard that.

Phillips is a 3/4 guy...and the Rams are a 4,/3 defense. Should be interesting.

The Rams new head coach is the grandson of former 49er's GM. He worked with Bill Walsh.

Phillips is a 3/4 guy...and the Rams are a 4,/3 defense. Should be interesting.

The Rams new head coach is the grandson of former 49er's GM. He worked with Bill Walsh.

in what capacity?

McVay is 30 years old. Walsh retired from coaching after the '94 season at Stanford. He left coaching in the NFL after the '88 season.

1998 San Francisco 49ers Trades. ... General Manager/Director of Football Operations: Dwight Clark. Interim General Manager: John McVay. Offensive Scheme: West Coast.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

the way this post was written it gave the impression that Sean McVay had worked with Walsh. At least that's what I got.:shrug_n:

His gramps did...

Wade Phillips is a genuinely nice man, he'll relish the chance to work with the likes of Aaron Donald and co. He'll have a lot of quality players to work with and the Rams should be even more bad ass on defence. Hopefully with more discipline.

One note to point out. The Broncos from what I hear have brought on Mike McCoy and Bill Musgrave as their OC and QB coach. Gonna be an interesting year. I think they plan to keep the 2 QB's they have and coach em up.

One note to point out. The Broncos from what I hear have brought on Mike McCoy and Bill Musgrave as their OC and QB coach. Gonna be an interesting year. I think they plan to keep the 2 QB's they have and coach em up.
Might work.

But Siemian looks to have a ceiling about at the Chad Pennington level. Could be higher or lower, of course, but that's what it looks like after his first season as a starter. And that's not a slur - Pennington got the most out of his talent and was a QB to be respected.

Lynch needs an abundance of coaching, IMHO. He throws a lot of wobbly passes right now. He needs many, many repetitions with a good QB coach to become more mechanically sound. And then of course he'll need to learn how to read defenses, run hurry up offenses, and become a leader of men on the field. And he's behind Siemian on the depth chart, I think, so he'll have to win that competition just to get the regular-season reps he needs to develop.

As you said, it's going to be an interesting year. We here in CONE will be watching. :)

It might be ok...Semen seems like he has a few brain cells firing in the right order.

Things could be worse...

I wonder why Musgrave would leave job in Oakland for a QB coach job in Denver?

Back