LOL, ROFL, LMAO, etc. How do you say them?

How do you pronounce common internet abbreviations?

• I pronounce them as if they were words. "lol" rhymes with "roll", "rofl" rhymes with "waffle", etc

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I spell them out. For example, "el oh el" or "are oh eff el"

• If common internet abbreviations were Greek words, thomas144 would pronounce them incorrectly.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Zombies are fluent in 1337 speak.

• Total voters

SteelerFan87

Pittsburgh Awesomes Fan
Reaction score
I pronounce them like words. For example, "lol" rhymes with "roll". I've encountered people who do it the same way, and others who spell them out, like "el oh el".

I pronounce them like words. For example, "lol" rhymes with "roll". I've encountered people who do it the same way, and others who spell them out, like "el oh el".

:high:

I would say something but I can't on here because it might offend people. I will send you a PM.

Why can't people just say, "haha" or "ha?"

lol is the dumbest thing to spawn from the internet- even dumber than D22.

Well, at least for me, "lol" means more like general amusement, rather than full "hahaha I'm laughing so hard, hahaha", and it's much easier to say "lol" than "I am amused". lol

:D

i have it set up for email notifications when a new comment comes out, so if I post once then i get the comments

OK. Most people don't like email notifications. Especially the post count whores. Their mailbox would always be filling up.

Well, at least for me, "lol" means more like general amusement, rather than full "hahaha I'm laughing so hard, hahaha", and it's much easier to say "lol" than "I am amused". lol

So then don't say "haha" - just give it one "ha"

I type "lol" a lot when I'm on these messageboards or chatting on AIM, but I grew up on it so the "dumb" factor is kinda gone. :shrug: May sound stupid, but without it, makes it much more awkward to have a conversation. It cues you in on the tone of what you're saying.

Exactly. Just makes chatting online easier without having to sound like your busting out every five seconds laughing (its not always THAT funny). And "ha" really doesn't have the same effect. If anything, it sounds more sarcastic. Also, haha gets repetitive if that's all you have...

Btw, I say it out loud by the letter...that would be EL-OH-EL (thought I might as well participate). :)

Back