Looking at the Patriots - 2018

Just because Matt Patricia had to serve some sort of apprenticeship for the Defensive Coordinator job doesn't mean it is a given the Brian Flores has to do the same. He could just be elevated to the position, title and all. I expect he will be.

Just because Matt Patricia had to serve some sort of apprenticeship for the Defensive Coordinator job doesn't mean it is a given the Brian Flores has to do the same. He could just be elevated to the position, title and all. I expect he will be.

I agree. He very well could get the title. The fact that he was being considered for a HC position as a position coach speaks to his acumen and the respect he has within the league.

I agree. He very well could get the title. The fact that he was being considered for a HC position as a position coach speaks to his acumen and the respect he has within the league.

My reasoning exactly.

This isnt, after all, speculating on the 2nd coming.

Clearly it could go either way.

There was a bit of palace intrigue going on when he elevated Matt Patricia. Pepper Johnson was still with the Patriots and many thought he would or expected him to get the job over Matt Patricia. The fact that he elevated Patricia as a trial period was, I believe, a reflection of that.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter <small class="time"> 1h1 hour ago </small>
After Friday’s meeting, the Colts intend to hire Patriots’ OC Josh McDaniels as their HC after Super Bowl LII, per sources. Patriots expected to lose OC to Colts, DC Matt Patricia to Lions, while respected special teams coordinator Joe Judge on expiring contract. Changes.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter <small class="time"> 1h1 hour ago </small>
After Friday’s meeting, the Colts intend to hire Patriots’ OC Josh McDaniels as their HC after Super Bowl LII, per sources. Patriots expected to lose OC to Colts, DC Matt Patricia to Lions, while respected special teams coordinator Joe Judge on expiring contract. Changes.

Didn't realise Judge's contract was expiring, kinda hope they renew his contract, because even when everything else apparently sucks, the Special Teams are always solid.

Though I suppose having guys like Slater and Ebner makes life as a ST coordinator a little bit easier.

Does this mean Judge is leaving also? Casserio must be looking around, thinking, "Wut? Huh? Am I missing something?"

Does this mean Judge is leaving also?...

No, it means that Joe Judge is going to get a raise. A big raise.

There are 3 former Patriots coaches/players that are now or will be head coaches that would love to have him on their staff. Further, he represents a level of stability. My gut says he gets paid and stays right where he is. I did bat the idea around of him moving to another spot within the organization (I expect this to happen in the next year or two), time to elevate Ray Ventrone and all that but I ruled that out because of the fact that there are already 2 spots to fill at coordinator and who knows if Ray is ready. While ripping the bandaid off is sometimes a good idea, sometimes you open the wound.

I expect the DC job goes to Brian Flores. Nothing more to say about it.

The OC job could go to Ivan Fears or Dante Scarnecchia if they wanted it. If history is an indication, they don't. I don't think it is a given that he gets it but I expect it is Chad O'Shea's job to lose.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in 3 hires between experienced pro/college coaches and interns.

It is a little bit of fun to speculate.

Pats have the 4th ranked STs units

Rick Gosselin’s annual special teams rankings are released. Gosselin has the Patriots as the third-best special teams unit in the league, trailing only the Rams and Chiefs. (The Ravens and Cowboys round out the top 5.) Gosselin’s formula involves the league’s 32 teams being ranked in 22 kicking game categories and assigned points according to their standing – one for best, 32 for worst. Overall, Los Angeles finished first in six of the categories and runner-up in five others, and were a Top-10 finisher in 18 of the 22 categories in these special-teams rankings. As for the Patriots, they were particularly strong in coverage, finishing third in the NFL in kickoff coverage (18.8 yards) and fourth in punt coverage (4.56 yards). It’s an interesting and informative study, one that Bill Belichick has acknowledged in the past.

The Denver Post says the Broncos should go after Solder

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/30/broncos-tackle-patriots-nate-solder/

Also:
The prison suicide of former NFL star Aaron Hernandez is prompting lawmakers to revisit a centuries-old Massachusetts legal principle.Under a bill heard Tuesday by the Legislature's Judiciary Committee, people who kill themselves after being convicted of a crime would automatically lose all rights to appeal.
Hernandez's murder conviction in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd was dismissed after Hernandez was found hanging in his cell last April. The legal principle holds that a defendant who dies before an appeal is heard should no longer be considered guilty in the eyes of the law.
Democratic Rep. Evandro Carvalho, of Boston, filed the legislation after meeting with Lloyd's mother, Ursula Ward, who was upset when the conviction was erased.
The bill, if passed, could not be applied retroactively to Hernandez.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22266378/bill-prompted-aaron-hernandez-verdict-dismissal-suicide

Also:
The prison suicide of former NFL star Aaron Hernandez is prompting lawmakers to revisit a centuries-old Massachusetts legal principle.Under a bill heard Tuesday by the Legislature's Judiciary Committee, people who kill themselves after being convicted of a crime would automatically lose all rights to appeal.
Hernandez's murder conviction in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd was dismissed after Hernandez was found hanging in his cell last April. The legal principle holds that a defendant who dies before an appeal is heard should no longer be considered guilty in the eyes of the law.
Democratic Rep. Evandro Carvalho, of Boston, filed the legislation after meeting with Lloyd's mother, Ursula Ward, who was upset when the conviction was erased.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22266378/bill-prompted-aaron-hernandez-verdict-dismissal-suicide

I doubt any of us would do this, but I'm tempted to be snarky when some mouth breathing fan of another team brings up AHern's name. I would love to just say "all charges were dismissed."

Malcolm Butler is letting it be known he'd like to be back next year.
"Without a doubt!"

Also:

Solder is from Colorado...so, that makes sense.

Malcolm Butler is letting it be known he'd like to be back next year.
"Without a doubt!"

If he can get back to how he was in 15 and 16, I'd be happy to have Butler stay in New England.

What's his price though, that is biggest question.

Back