Looking at the Patriots - 2018

Who were the two assistants that called plays in a preseason game this year under McDaniels and Patricia?

That would probably be who would get the nod(s).

A position coach with no coordinator experience going to HC in the pros?

No wonder this league is in shambles at different outposts.

I’d be trying like hell to trade our ‘18 1st for AZ ‘19 1st.

McVay was OC for one season in Washington and then was hired by the Rams. It may seem kind of trendy to move up positional coaches and maybe easier to get in a way because they have not been coordinators.

McVay was OC for one season in Washington and then was hired by the Rams. It may seem kind of trendy to move up positional coaches and maybe easier to get in a way because they have not been coordinators.

Fine.

At least he was a coordinator.

LB coach to HC?

Not ready.

Fine.

At least he was a coordinator.

LB coach to HC?

Not ready.

I think the league is desperate for new blood and is looking anywhere, everywhere. I was just thinking recently how few college coaches are going to the NFL. That trend seems to have cooled maybe after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

I think the league is desperate for new blood and is looking anywhere, everywhere. I was just thinking recently how few college coaches are going to the NFL. That trend seems to have cooled maybe after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

I think there’s massive talent at the college level.

It just needs to be recruited, developed, and brought along correctly the way BB handles it.

There’s too much of a rush with everything now.

I don't think what a coach's experience as a position coach, coordinator, or what he was in NCAA has any bearing on how good a HC he'd make. I do know that there are a crapload of coordinators who became HCs and sucked at the job. Most of them in fact.

I think the problem is that other than the intangibles, the skill set of being a successful position coach don't provide much of an indicator of whether a position coach will make a good coordinator, and there certainly are no duties of a coordinator that will predict success as a HC or the failure rate wouldn't be so high.

Who were the two assistants that called plays in a preseason game this year under McDaniels and Patricia?

That would probably be who would get the nod(s).
I think it was O'shea and his bald head and Flores who made the calls. Not sure if they had a different special teams coach but I don't think they ever mentioned that during the broadcast.

edit

it is these series of tweets from the Giants pre-season game

I would think being a HC is kind of like being a parent. If you try to be a friend you have already lost control. Being friendly is completely different. Someone has to be in charge on a football team. The HC cannot be a jerk or a cheerleader. That is probably one of the hardest things to navigate, where that line is. I think one of the easiest things for first time coaches to mess up with, is the it is MY team mentality. My and team usually do not mix well.

I don't think what a coach's experience as a position coach, coordinator, or what he was in NCAA has any bearing on how good a HC he'd make. I do know that there are a crapload of coordinators who became HCs and sucked at the job. Most of them in fact.

I think the problem is that other than the intangibles, the skill set of being a successful position coach don't provide much of an indicator of whether a position coach will make a good coordinator, and there certainly are no duties of a coordinator that will predict success as a HC or the failure rate wouldn't be so high.

I’ll disagree.

It’s why you see the progression 99% of the time.

As a position coach you’re only in charge of 1 specific grouping. In Flores case it’s LBs.

Nobody has a clue what his experience or management skills are like wrt DL or Secondary.

Then the entire other side of the ball, Offense?

And STs?

It’s as massive a jump as you can make. The only starting step lower would be position coach in college.

A position coach with no coordinator experience going to HC in the pros?

No wonder this league is in shambles at different outposts.

I’d be trying like hell to trade our ‘18 1st for AZ ‘19 1st.

A good word from BB does wonders.

I’ll disagree.

As a position coach you’re only in charge of 1 specific grouping. In Flores case it’s LBs.

Nobody has a clue what his experience or management skills are like wrt DL or Secondary.

Then the entire other side of the ball, Offense?

And STs?

It’s as massive a jump as you can make. The only starting step lower would be position coach in college.
Josh started on Defense, Patricia started on Offense.

Both coached a various position and Broke down film.

One thing Bill is said to do it Push his guys into learning the next step as they do their current task.

If he’s the guy in AZ we can have a little wager on how that org fairs over the next 32 games.

Do we get them drafting a legitimate QB? Palmer's retired, and I'm not really feeling Drew Stanton as a long-term answer.

Did you see this? I didn't but apparently the NFL accidentally aired this. :toast:

https://offthemonstersports.com/201...atriots-and-vikings-as-the-super-bowl-lineup/
DT86on3UQAAWKMw.jpg

I’ll disagree.

I agree that most head coaches come by way of being a coordinator, and it's certainly the "safe" way to avoid later criticism when it turns out your new head coach doesn't have the skills to success in spite of being a former successful coordinator. I just don't think coordinator success is a good indicator of head coach success and I'm pretty sure that data doesn't support 99% of good coordinators making good head coaches.

IMO it's more about the intangibles of a coordinator of position coach and how they might translate to to being a head coach and less about demonstrable success at a former position.

It's the easy "common sense" way out, just like going with an athletic strong-armed QB in the draft rather than trying to figure out if the guy can read NFL defenses. Unfortunately, the number of UDFAs playing in the NFL and the number of first round busts show that the common sense method isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Back