Looking at the Patriots - 2018

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter <small class="time"> 1h1 hour ago </small>
After Friday’s meeting, the Colts intend to hire Patriots’ OC Josh McDaniels as their HC after Super Bowl LII, per sources. Patriots expected to lose OC to Colts, DC Matt Patricia to Lions, while respected special teams coordinator Joe Judge on expiring contract. Changes.

And Scar should be going back to retirement, think was the plan from two years ago.

He'd need to come up huge Sunday before I'd even offer him a contract at this point.

I would love him back. He has been just okay this year, not great. The question is will he sign here for less than 10 mil per, which is surely his worth now?

He'd need to come up huge Sunday before I'd even offer him a contract at this point.
I don't agree with signing or cutting a guy based on one game's performance, though i have screamed at BB via my TV screen to do cut some immediately after a horrendous play :coffee:

But it's the body of work, or rather the projection of how good this player will be in the future that BB makes his decisions. See: Cannon, Marcus, 2016

Was that that guy where Bill woudn't listen to us?

:coffee:

Cheers

Yep. It was astonishing how much he improved after Dante came back.

Marcus Cannon is exhibit No. 1 as to how good a coach that guy is.

And Cam Fleming might be exhibit No. 2 before long. I'm still not comfortable anytime he's playing RT, but even I have to admit that he's been a lot better over the last, say, 5 games.

And Cam Fleming might be exhibit No. 2 before long. I'm still not comfortable anytime he's playing RT, but even I have to admit that he's been a lot better over the last, say, 5 games.
Fleming is a tough one for me. I liked him a lot in thebeginning but have become disenchanted. I like Waddle now as Cannon's backup.

I don't agree with signing or cutting a guy based on one game's performance, though i have screamed at BB via my TV screen to do cut some immediately after a horrendous play :coffee:

But it's the body of work, or rather the projection of how good this player will be in the future that BB makes his decisions. See: Cannon, Marcus, 2016

It's not one game's performance.

He's been one of the worst corners in the league this year.

No, it means that Joe Judge is going to get a raise. A big raise.

There are 3 former Patriots coaches/players that are now or will be head coaches that would love to have him on their staff. Further, he represents a level of stability. My gut says he gets paid and stays right where he is. I did bat the idea around of him moving to another spot within the organization (I expect this to happen in the next year or two), time to elevate Ray Ventrone and all that but I ruled that out because of the fact that there are already 2 spots to fill at coordinator and who knows if Ray is ready. While ripping the bandaid off is sometimes a good idea, sometimes you open the wound.

I expect the DC job goes to Brian Flores. Nothing more to say about it.

The OC job could go to Ivan Fears or Dante Scarnecchia if they wanted it. If history is an indication, they don't. I don't think it is a given that he gets it but I expect it is Chad O'Shea's job to lose.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in 3 hires between experienced pro/college coaches and interns.

It is a little bit of fun to speculate.

For the past maybe 2 years I've suspected the heir to Belichick is secretly Joe Judge. I don't know a lot about him, but think about it:

- Anyone who has heard Belichick talk about anything knows his true passion is Special Teams, he'll rant about it forever.
- No other team in the league takes Special Teams seriously on a consistent basis. The Pats have some of the best Special Teams, year in and out, and yet there is zero interest in Joe Judge. He's "safe" to develop for that reason.
- How do you ensure a head coach doesn't focus on their "side of the ball" and allow the other phases of the game to languish? Well if it's a Special Teams coach, there's no risk of that, they can't ignore offense and defense, and will likely bring a balanced perspective with a health dose of deferring to their coordinators.
- Special Teams are easily the most complex to manage, personnel wise. Think about all the substitutions and personnel groupings, Belichick talks about it all the time. So when it comes to learning how to manage a roster and deal with substitutions, injury replacements, etc, what better training ground could there be?
- Joe Judge doesn't talk to the media, like ever. No one knows a thing about him. That sounds like a distinctly positive thing for Belichick.
- He's young and new enough that if Belichick wants to coach another 7-10 years, he's not wasting his entire coaching career sticking with the Patriots, while still having a decent football pedigree including working under Saban in Alabama.

So to summarize we have a young coach with a decent pedigree who will be largely ignored by the rest of the league and whom Belichick can safely spend as long as he wishes developing. That coach is working in an area which is a personal interest to Belichick, and which is the most complex area to work in for personnel management, substitutions, situational football, etc. That coach would inherently have a balanced view of offense and defense (complimentary football), and he has as a personal philosophy being fundamentally sound as a football team, and a focus on hard work and preparation paying off (no shortcuts). He also never talks to the media and makes no noise.

Sounds like the heir apparent to me. :shrug_n:

I'm hearing murmurs that Judge will probably follow Matt Patricia to Detroit.

For the past maybe 2 years I've suspected the heir to Belichick is secretly Joe Judge. I don't know a lot about him, but think about it:

- Anyone who has heard Belichick talk about anything knows his true passion is Special Teams, he'll rant about it forever.
- No other team in the league takes Special Teams seriously on a consistent basis. The Pats have some of the best Special Teams, year in and out, and yet there is zero interest in Joe Judge. He's "safe" to develop for that reason.
- How do you ensure a head coach doesn't focus on their "side of the ball" and allow the other phases of the game to languish? Well if it's a Special Teams coach, there's no risk of that, they can't ignore offense and defense, and will likely bring a balanced perspective with a health dose of deferring to their coordinators.
- Special Teams are easily the most complex to manage, personnel wise. Think about all the substitutions and personnel groupings, Belichick talks about it all the time. So when it comes to learning how to manage a roster and deal with substitutions, injury replacements, etc, what better training ground could there be?
- Joe Judge doesn't talk to the media, like ever. No one knows a thing about him. That sounds like a distinctly positive thing for Belichick.
- He's young and new enough that if Belichick wants to coach another 7-10 years, he's not wasting his entire coaching career sticking with the Patriots, while still having a decent football pedigree including working under Saban in Alabama.

So to summarize we have a young coach with a decent pedigree who will be largely ignored by the rest of the league and whom Belichick can safely spend as long as he wishes developing. That coach is working in an area which is a personal interest to Belichick, and which is the most complex area to work in for personnel management, substitutions, situational football, etc. That coach would inherently have a balanced view of offense and defense (complimentary football), and he has as a personal philosophy being fundamentally sound as a football team, and a focus on hard work and preparation paying off (no shortcuts). He also never talks to the media and makes no noise.

Sounds like the heir apparent to me. :shrug_n:

Very interesting perspective

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

I'm hearing murmurs that Judge will probably follow Matt Patricia to Detroit.

Leverage for $

3 years ago today

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Z1vLmygWYkec0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen="" width="480" height="269" frameborder="0"></iframe>

3 years ago today

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Z1vLmygWYkec0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen="" width="480" height="269" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That guy was awesome. I hope that Malcolm Butler shows up, and not the one giving up 100+ QB ratings all year.

It's not one game's performance..
I agree. I was replying to the poster who said Butler'd have to have a great superbowl to get a contract offer. As I said, I think BB takes the body of work and from that tries to extrapolate how a player will do in the future. One game, even the superbowl is just data point to him. It's us fans who want to reward Hightower with a big contract for a great sack.

I agree. I was replying to the poster who said Butler'd have to have a great superbowl to get a contract offer. As I said, I think BB takes the body of work and from that tries to extrapolate how a player will do in the future. One game, even the superbowl is just data point to him. It's us fans who want to reward Hightower with a big contract for a great sack.

Some of us include the incredible goal line stop in SB 49. Makes him twicw as good, eh

Back