Photo of Corey Coleman
Corey Coleman (WR)
HT: 5'11" WT: 194LBS.
POSITION: WR
SCHOOL: Baylor
ARM LENGTH: 30 1/4"
HANDS: 9"
Overview
Coleman grew up in a tough Dallas neighborhood playing football in the streets, with a father who is currently serving prison time for felony cocaine distribution. But with the guidance and hard work of his mother, Cassandra Jones, as well as his godfather, former Baylor and NFL star defensive back Ray Crockett, Coleman fulfilled his potential as a playmaker at the college level. As a redshirt freshman, Coleman started 10 games in head coach Art Briles' offense, catching 35 passes for 527 yards and two scores, as well as averaging over 28 yards per kickoff return. His sophomore season started late, as he missed the first three games of the year with a hamstring injury, but finished strong. He was named second-team All-Big 12 (first team by the media) after covering 1,119 yards and scoring 11 times on just 64 receptions. Most importantly, Coleman came up big at the right times (15-224, TD vs Oklahoma, 7-150, TD vs Michigan in Cotton Bowl) ... but that was just a hint of things to come. Coleman won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver in 2015, along with unanimous All-American and first-team all-conference honors, leading the country with 20 touchdown receptions (74-1,363 receiving for the year). He missed the team's Russell Athletic Bowl win over North Carolina after having sports hernia surgery in December in order to be ready for the run up to the 2016 NFL Draft.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.37 seconds

SELECTED BY: Browns
ROUND: 1
PICK (OVERALL): 15 (15)
PICK ANALYSIS:
"He's a dynamic playmaker. Think Percy Harvin, that's the kind of playmaker that he is. He has a quick start and explosive speed. The only key for him is that he hasn't run a route tree. You will have to manufacture touches for him as he learns the route tree. He's special with the football in his hands." -- Mike Mayock
COMBINE STATS
BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 40.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 129.0 INCH
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high*-flying attack.
Weaknesses
Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.
Draft Projection
Rounds 1 or 2
Sources Tell Us
"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach
NFL Comparison
John Brown
Bottom Line
Dangerous vertical talent with the ability to get over the top of defenders who fail to recognize his blazing quickness off the line of scrimmage. Coleman can get instant separation to create favorable passing windows and is one of the top playmakers in this draft. Coleman's issues with drops near the middle of the field could be a concern if teams see him next as a slot receiver due to his lack of size. Regardless, he can line up outside and win and he offers immediate punt return help.

Look, the potential upside with Coleman is pretty significant. If he doesn't work out, he'll be cut sharpish.

Would not at all be surprised to see Bill, Tom and Josh and the rest of the guys like Jules, White, etc turn this guy around and make him a legit WR.

It's his last chance in the NFL. If he can't make it here, no team will touch him.

Well. Coleman had lots talent in college to be drafted no 15 on 2016.

Who knows he could be another reclamation success Dr Hoddie

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Look, the potential upside with Coleman is pretty significant. If he doesn't work out, he'll be cut sharpish.

Would not at all be surprised to see Bill, Tom and Josh and the rest of the guys like Jules, White, etc turn this guy around and make him a legit WR.

It's his last chance in the NFL. If he can't make it here, no team will touch him.

Patriots now employ three first round picks at WR....and Chris Hogan.

Well. Coleman had lots talent in college to be drafted no 15 on 2016.

Who knows he could be another reclamation success Dr Hoddie

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

BB is looking for more crazy Wideouts in the mold of Terry Glenn and Irving Fryar. :shrug_n:

Chad Hansen, too. Add Jeremy Hill to IR and the Patriots have 3 roster spots open.

We need a WR, a Punt Returner and a RB.

Someone familiar with the system would be preferable for WR & RB.
$5.44M cap space unless there's a redo of a contract to make more cap space.

Jason McCourty restructured his contract.

Re Corey Coleman:

BB would never sign Coleman despite his talent because of his diva attitude and poor work ethic. He's the guy on Hard Knocks who stormed into Hue Jackson's office and demanded to be a starter despite his lazy practice habits. Jackson shipped him off the next day even though he was a 1st round pick in 2016. Plus injuries have been a problem. I'd rather have Dez at vet minimum but that won't happen either.

He stuck for a full 3 weeks with the Bills after being traded for a conditional 7th rounder.
He was the 15th pick of the 2016 draft. He's no Randy Moss. :coffee:

I would be totally surprised if BB were able to get the level of commitment from Coleman that would allow him to be signed.

Apparently BB actually got that level of commitment. Short leash, non-guaranteed contract, 1st round talent, greased lightening. But injury history and attitude. There's not a better place for Coleman to rebuild his reputation imo but he'd better toe the line perfectly and try harder than hard.

Patriots now employ three first round picks at WR....and Chris Hogan.

For little to no investment & short money. 3 first rounders although 2 may not learn the play book.

Phillip Dorsett (Brissett who was going to be cut), Cordarrelle Patterson (Raiders 6th for our 5th), Corey Coleman (FA)

Headcase or not I’m excited to see what he can do. I didn’t watch him in college but the hype gets me hyped. We will see. Can he return kicks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're also adding WR Bennie Fowler :shrug:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/bennie-fowler?id=2543612

2014 Draft Prospects
GRADE
Photo of Bennie Fowler
Bennie Fowler (WR)
HT: 6'1" WT: 217LBS.
POSITION: WR
SCHOOL: Michigan St.
ARM LENGTH: 32"
HANDS: 9 1/2"
Overview
Michigan native who also competed in track, won a state long jump championship and a state basketball championship. Missed five games during his junior season because of a broken collarbone. Redshirted in 2009 while dealing with a stress fracture in his foot. Appeared in 13 games in '10 (one start) and recorded 14 receptions for 175 yards (12.5-yard average) and a touchdown. Also returned 15 kickoffs for 336 yards (22.4). Scratched 2-20-0 (10.) in '11, but was limited to five games (foot). Recovered a blocked punt in the end zone for a touchdown against Wisconsin. Started 7-of-13 games in '12 -- five as the third receiver, one at "Z" and one at "X" -- and tallied 41-524-4 (12.8). Started 8-of-13 games in '13, catching 36-622-6 (17.3). Also had 16 career rushes for 102 yards (6.4) and a touchdown. Did not play against Purdue (hamstring).
COMBINE STATS
40 YARD DASH: 4.52 SEC
VERTICAL JUMP: 36.0 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 126.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.06 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.18 SEC
60 YARD SHUTTLE: 11.52 SEC
ANALYSIS
Strengths
Looks the part with excellent size. Shows the ability to track and adjust. Extends to snatch throws away from his body. Strong and productive after the catch. Good leaping ability. Flashes playmaking ability. Has special-teams experience. Untapped potential. Outstanding pro-day workout.
Weaknesses
Needs to get functionally stronger and play with more physicality. Lacks elite top-end speed to separate vertically. Route running needs refinement. Average suddenness in and out of breaks. Lets some throws into his body and drops have been an issue. Intermittent intensity. Has underachiever traits -- motivation and work ethic should be examined.
Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7
Bottom Line
Big, talented, underachieving flanker who showed signs of life as a senior after injuries and inconsistency plagued his previous seasons. Is still rough around the edges and questionable hands and passion for the game could prevent him from reaching his ceiling

Michigan native who also competed in track, won a state long jump championship and a state basketball championship.

It's amazing when you stop and think about how talented even the duds are.

Headcase or not I’m excited to see what he can do. I didn’t watch him in college but the hype gets me hyped. We will see. Can he return kicks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did in college but he didn't in the NFL. Fowler has been on coverage teams only in the NFL. So, no, neither is a PR.

Dm0HFohXsAEWCYr.jpg

BB is looking for more crazy Wideouts in the mold of Terry Glenn and Irving Fryar. :shrug_n:

The Patriots could do a hell of a lot worse than Terry Glenn and Irving Fryar.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Apparently BB actually got that level of commitment. Short leash, non-guaranteed contract, 1st round talent, greased lightening. But injury history and attitude. There's not a better place for Coleman to rebuild his reputation imo but he'd better toe the line perfectly and try harder than hard.

McDaniels may just say 'fuck it' and run 25 Jet Sweeps a game. :coffee:

So it sounds like Kenjon Barner is our new hopeful solution to the punt return issues.

Back