Looking at the Patriots - 2020

In 2020, Cam Newton learned he’s “a mentally tough SOB”​

Posted by Charean Williams on December 31, 2020, 7:41 PM EST

Cam Newton received a pink slip from the Panthers on March 24. He remained on the free agent market three months before agreeing to terms on a one-year deal with the Patriots.
The Patriots have a 6-8 record in his 14 starts this season, and he has 12 rushing touchdowns and only five passing touchdowns. He will become the first primary starter since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger to finish a season with more rushing touchdowns than passing touchdowns.

But Newton learned something about himself in a trying season that included missing a game with COVID-19.
“I’m a mentally tough SOB, bruh,” Newton said Thursday, via Ryan Hannable of WEEI.
Newton, who will make just under $4 million this season, could start his final game for the Patriots on Sunday.
He is scheduled to become a free agent in March. It is unknown whether the Patriots want him back or whether he wants to return.
“The injuries, yeah, that was tough to kind of get over. The late free agency, yup, that was tough. COVID, you mentioned. And even the success, those are all ones that you kind of look back and kind of, ‘Yeah, it could have been better,'” Newton said. The one for me is my kids. It’s my children. It’s like any father, any mother who’s on this call right now to go without talking to your kids or your family. That was — that’s everything, you know what I’m saying? Because like, I’ll put it like this: And I’m being honest, right? I had two birthdays that I didn’t see. My son Chosen’s birthday was on Christmas Eve. I didn’t get to see it with him. My son Cashmere’s birthday was on Sept. 30, and I didn’t get to see that, too. Cashmere just turned 1, so that was kind of a big deal for him. Chosen just turned 5. So — and even more or less, not seeing my kids’ first steps.
“Like, all of those things. Being unemployed for 86 nights, yeah, that’s tough. Having injuries, yeah, that’s tough. Going through this season and you can kind of assume what a juggernaut media market that Boston is or Foxboro, New England, whatever you want to call it, is. The slander that comes with living up to the TB12 expectations. Yeah, all of that is tough. You hear it. None of it is even a close second to not being able to see your children. Just that. You miss your kids’ first steps. You’re not there during Christmas. You’re not there on birthdays.
“And then on top of that, you’re sucking? Ah, man. And coming from a person that’s already emotional? And I don’t even want to talk to people on a regular day let alone when everything is going good. But I’ve learned that through it all, you only got your faith in God, your faith in yourself. And that’s pretty much it. I’ve really relied on understanding of trying to find something to build off of. It didn’t matter if it was a, ‘Well, it was an incomplete.’ And you may think of it as — I don’t care what you think of it — for me, I’m being optimistic through it all, and I’ve learned to be optimistic especially through these trials and tribulations because at times during this year, it was like, ‘God. What is it? What are you doing? What are you trying to tell me? Like, what am I not doing?’ And yeah, having to wake up at certain amount of times and leaving the facilities at certain amount of times and still not having the success that you want to have, it teaches you resiliency. It teaches you patience. It teaches you to have faith and understanding that, listen, sooner or later, you’re going to get a break. I’m not looking for no handouts.
“It’s just more or less for me to just say, ‘Bruh, damn. Finally.’ Right? And 2020, man I’m about to sign, seal. I’m about to tie this year up, put a big knot on it. I can buy every single lock, key and throw away all of them. I don’t want to see no part of 2020, but it made me a better person. That, I do believe. And that’s something, being a part of this franchise is something that you just don’t wash away that stench, that aura of being a Patriot. It’s something that’s in you. Being around arguably the greatest coach of all time and looking at him from afar, because I obviously, my living method may not be as his living methods. He wears jeans and a bubble coat or Patriots gear every single day. And meanwhile I’m Polo down, Moncler down, you know what I’m saying? Meshika hat, shades. That’s just my steez. I’m like, this cold, I ain’t ever been able to wear this jacket. Boom. Wearing it. And it still teaches you different methods of being producing and having production in this league. And I’ll never forget that.”

Cam Newton received a pink slip from the Panthers on March 24. He remained on the free agent market three months before agreeing to terms on a one-year deal with the Patriots.
The Patriots have a 6-8 record in his 14 starts this season, and he has 12 rushing touchdowns and only five passing touchdowns. He will become the first primary starter since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger to finish a season with more rushing touchdowns than passing touchdowns.

But Newton learned something about himself in a trying season that included missing a game with COVID-19.
“I’m a mentally tough SOB, bruh,” Newton said Thursday, via Ryan Hannable of WEEI.
Newton, who will make just under $4 million this season, could start his final game for the Patriots on Sunday.
He is scheduled to become a free agent in March. It is unknown whether the Patriots want him back or whether he wants to return.
“The injuries, yeah, that was tough to kind of get over. The late free agency, yup, that was tough. COVID, you mentioned. And even the success, those are all ones that you kind of look back and kind of, ‘Yeah, it could have been better,'” Newton said. The one for me is my kids. It’s my children. It’s like any father, any mother who’s on this call right now to go without talking to your kids or your family. That was — that’s everything, you know what I’m saying? Because like, I’ll put it like this: And I’m being honest, right? I had two birthdays that I didn’t see. My son Chosen’s birthday was on Christmas Eve. I didn’t get to see it with him. My son Cashmere’s birthday was on Sept. 30, and I didn’t get to see that, too. Cashmere just turned 1, so that was kind of a big deal for him. Chosen just turned 5. So — and even more or less, not seeing my kids’ first steps.
“Like, all of those things. Being unemployed for 86 nights, yeah, that’s tough. Having injuries, yeah, that’s tough. Going through this season and you can kind of assume what a juggernaut media market that Boston is or Foxboro, New England, whatever you want to call it, is. The slander that comes with living up to the TB12 expectations. Yeah, all of that is tough. You hear it. None of it is even a close second to not being able to see your children. Just that. You miss your kids’ first steps. You’re not there during Christmas. You’re not there on birthdays.
“And then on top of that, you’re sucking? Ah, man. And coming from a person that’s already emotional? And I don’t even want to talk to people on a regular day let alone when everything is going good. But I’ve learned that through it all, you only got your faith in God, your faith in yourself. And that’s pretty much it. I’ve really relied on understanding of trying to find something to build off of. It didn’t matter if it was a, ‘Well, it was an incomplete.’ And you may think of it as — I don’t care what you think of it — for me, I’m being optimistic through it all, and I’ve learned to be optimistic especially through these trials and tribulations because at times during this year, it was like, ‘God. What is it? What are you doing? What are you trying to tell me? Like, what am I not doing?’ And yeah, having to wake up at certain amount of times and leaving the facilities at certain amount of times and still not having the success that you want to have, it teaches you resiliency. It teaches you patience. It teaches you to have faith and understanding that, listen, sooner or later, you’re going to get a break. I’m not looking for no handouts.
“It’s just more or less for me to just say, ‘Bruh, damn. Finally.’ Right? And 2020, man I’m about to sign, seal. I’m about to tie this year up, put a big knot on it. I can buy every single lock, key and throw away all of them. I don’t want to see no part of 2020, but it made me a better person. That, I do believe. And that’s something, being a part of this franchise is something that you just don’t wash away that stench, that aura of being a Patriot. It’s something that’s in you. Being around arguably the greatest coach of all time and looking at him from afar, because I obviously, my living method may not be as his living methods. He wears jeans and a bubble coat or Patriots gear every single day. And meanwhile I’m Polo down, Moncler down, you know what I’m saying? Meshika hat, shades. That’s just my steez. I’m like, this cold, I ain’t ever been able to wear this jacket. Boom. Wearing it. And it still teaches you different methods of being producing and having production in this league. And I’ll never forget that.”
I hope he learned that it's time to retire.

I've learned that he's absolutely cooked...

a little more from that interview

New England Patriots' Cam Newton regrets missing offseason to learn system​

7:27 PM ET
  • i

Mike ReissESPN Staff Writer
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton reflected on his challenging 2020 season in a lengthy, passionate videoconference Thursday that had the feel of an exit interview in which he was saying goodbye.
"My only regret was I wish I had more time to dissect what I was actually getting in to," Newton said when asked if there was anything he could have done differently to contribute to more personal success.
"I've been in this league long enough to kind of always downplay, like, 'Man, we don't need preseason. We don't need OTAs. We're ready to go.' Yeah, maybe if I was still in the system I came from. But learning this system, you just need more time, you need more real reps to kind of go through because there's only but so much you can kind of make up.
"You could put the eyelashes on. You could do your eyebrows. You could put your lipstick on. The mascara and the lip liner. But sooner or later, it's going to rain and the real true you will show. And unfortunately it showed -- not necessarily in ways that I wanted to."
Newton, who spent most of the offseason as a free agent before signing a modest one-year deal with the Patriots on July 8, leads New England into its season finale Sunday against the visiting New York Jets (CBS, 1 p.m. ET). Despite saying he doesn't know what the future holds, he hinted this will be his last game for the Patriots (6-9), noting there are teammates he still plans on having connections with in the future.
In 14 games as Tom Brady's replacement this season, Newton is 221-of-338 for 2,415 yards passing, with five touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He added 513 rushing yards in 126 carries, with 12 touchdowns. Newton tested positive for the coronavirus in early October, missing one game, and played through an abdomen injury in early December.
But Newton said the hardest part of 2020 was being away from his children, which included missing two birthday parties, Christmas and milestone moments such as his son's first steps.
Pats quarterback Cam Newton said he's ready to put 2020 behind him but added the year taught him that he's a "mentally tough S.O.B." AP Photo/Elise Amendola
"All of those things, being unemployed for 86 nights, yeah, that's tough. Having injuries, yeah, that's tough. Going through this season and you can kind of assume what a juggernaut media market that Boston is. ... The slander that comes with living up to the TB12 expectations; yeah, all of that is tough. You hear it. [But] none of it is even a close second to not being able to see your children. And then on top of that, you're sucking? Ah, man.
"For me, I still can be better. I still can be more consistent. Some of the throws that I've had, I wish I would have had back. But yet nobody cares about the circumstances, nobody cares about the waves or the tide that's in the water. They just care about you just reeling that ship on in, and I didn't do that consistently enough."

Newton, 31, called himself a "mentally tough S.O.B" when asked what he has learned about himself, saying his focus on optimism helped.
"It was almost like going under the hood for me -- working on my attitude, patience, faith, the resilient side of you. What are you going to do when things aren't so good?" he said.
"Because at times during this year, it was like, 'God, what are you doing? What are you trying to tell me?' It teaches you patience. It teaches you to have faith and understanding that, listen, sooner or later, you're going to get a break.
"I'm not looking for no handouts. And 2020, I'm about to sign, seal [and] tie this year up, put a big knot on it. I can buy every single lock, key and throw away all of them. I don't want to see no part of 2020. But it made me a better person. That, I do believe."

One thing about Newton, he never quit on the team. He may well be finished as a QB in the NFL, but he never gave up here and kept fighting despite many people, including posters here, who said he'd quit on the team if things weren't going well. Can't fault his work ethic, first in the building, not seeing his kids etc.

It just seems his time as an NFL QB seem over, a real shame. If he had worked out here, he could have been dynamite for us for a number of years.

"You could put the eyelashes on. You could do your eyebrows. You could put your lipstick on. The mascara and the lip liner. But sooner or later, it's going to rain and the real true you will show. And unfortunately it showed -- not necessarily in ways that I wanted to." -- Cam Newton

One of the more interesting sports quotes you'll ever see.

I would say if some team takes a chance on Cam next year, they will get a better Cam. Most players take about a year and a half to get up to the speed they are going to be after a major injury. Do not want it to be the Pats though.

I would say if some team takes a chance on Cam next year, they will get a better Cam. Most players take about a year and a half to get up to the speed they are going to be after a major injury. Do not want it to be the Pats though.
Yeah, he can be classy on some other team next year...

"You could put the eyelashes on. You could do your eyebrows. You could put your lipstick on. The mascara and the lip liner. But sooner or later, it's going to rain and the real true you will show. And unfortunately it showed -- not necessarily in ways that I wanted to." -- Cam Newton

One of the more interesting sports quotes you'll ever see.
These types of quotes makes me wonder if he truly lacks confidence. The guy has been so beat up both physically and mentally that he just seems like he has no belief.

These types of quotes makes me wonder if he truly lacks confidence. The guy has been so beat up both physically and mentally that he just seems like he has no belief.
I think it was clear just watching him during certain junctures that he was really struggling with the whole situation.

His words in that interview pretty much confirmed as much-- Cam didn't know the offense as well as he (and all of us) would've liked. After the first 4 games, he was 2-2 with a style-points loss to Seattle in the mix and he was probably thinking that he was going to have a hell of a year. A few weeks later he was on the Covid list and when he came back he was facing defenses that were now in mid-season form and he couldn't do the sight reads required by our offense. It had "started to rain" and we saw the true Cam.

He had tears after he fumbled in the first Buffalo game and during a presser where he almost lost it. Definitely some confidence issues.

I don't want to dump the guy because I like him a lot as a person, but---- how to you keep him on the field after that? It's gonna be interesting. Maybe he'd accept a backup/mentor role which I'd be fine with.

Back