Looking at the Patriots - 2021

What are folks projecting for the Patriots as far as their wins for next year? I'm curious where folks stand now before the draft (and for the purpose of this let's assume no one drafts anyone of note), because I'm curious how much it goes up or down for folks post-draft.

Right now, assuming Cam Newton is the starting QB which seems to be a very safe assumption, I think the Patriots will go 10-7, maybe 9-8. This is solely because I don't have any faith whatsoever in Cam Newton, my hope is that the Patriots get a QB in the first round during the draft who is potentially good enough to be a year 1 starter.
It all depends on their draft...even if the QB that they draft will be sitting on the bench. There are plenty of holes on all three aspects of the ball.

are you kidding me? The Bucs ARE the defending champs, it will be a huge part of the storyline for the game. How is that not appropriate to mention in a game that the Bucs are playing in? If you are triggered by that harmless reference, it might be time to realize that football is just a game and not the biggest worry in life.
The Bucs are the defending champs. So what? Without Brady on the Bucs no one, especially you, would give a shit about Bucs @ Pats. It is Brady you want to obsess over, not the Bucs. You are fooling no one with the we're-going-to-play-the-world-champion-Bucs bullshit. Face it, if Brady was a Cowboy, you'd be yapping about that game, not the Bucs game.

You're entitled to be infatuated with Brady. We know it. Believe me, we KNOW it. You can twist every fact if you want. You can insist you know what Belichick, Kraft, and every one else thinks. You just don't have to jump on every post with public displays of gushing affection.

No one was 'triggered' by a harmless reference to the Brady game. What is getting tiresome are the constant yapping over and over, inserting Brady into every thread ad nauseum. You have two threads to rumpswab Brady. Do you need another? Because I can start a Brady-Patriots gameday thread so you can talk about the Brady vs the Patriots game there. Will three Brady threads be enough?

The Bucs are the defending champs. So what? Without Brady on the Bucs no one, especially you, would give a shit about Bucs @ Pats. It is Brady you want to obsess over, not the Bucs. You are fooling no one with the we're-going-to-play-the-world-champion-Bucs bullshit. Face it, if Brady was a Cowboy, you'd be yapping about that game, not the Bucs game.

You're entitled to be infatuated with Brady. We know it. Believe me, we KNOW it. You can twist every fact if you want. You can insist you know what Belichick, Kraft, and every one else thinks. You just don't have to jump on every post with public displays of gushing affection.

No one was 'triggered' by a harmless reference to the Brady game. What is getting tiresome are the constant yapping over and over, inserting Brady into every thread ad nauseum. You have two threads to rumpswab Brady. Do you need another? Because I can start a Brady-Patriots gameday thread so you can talk about the Brady vs the Patriots game there. Will three Brady threads be enough?
If my posts bother you that much there is the ignore button.

What are folks projecting for the Patriots as far as their wins for next year? I'm curious where folks stand now before the draft (and for the purpose of this let's assume no one drafts anyone of note), because I'm curious how much it goes up or down for folks post-draft.

Right now, assuming Cam Newton is the starting QB which seems to be a very safe assumption, I think the Patriots will go 10-7, maybe 9-8. This is solely because I don't have any faith whatsoever in Cam Newton, my hope is that the Patriots get a QB in the first round during the draft who is potentially good enough to be a year 1 starter.

PFF thinks the Patriots have the 20th best roster right now. I'll go 10 wins...but only bc of BB coaching. I'm hoping for a QB at 15 but if that doesn't happen we need impact players who can play quickly rather than sitting on the bench in obscurity game after game. We need help now. A real WR1 would be nice; someone like Terrance Marshall. Heck, I'd also welcome a trade back, get an extra pick and get a real Slot WR like Elijah Moore or Amari Rogers/St. Brown. Toney a little later; the kid is electric. I know, those are KC kinds of players, but dammit, times are changing.

20. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Draft capital rank: 14th

Bill Belichick went all-in during free agency, handing out money left and right. Even after the heavy spending, the Patriots still have an average roster outside of their offensive line. Despite losing standout left guard Joe Thuney, they still have a top-10 unit.

The big concern with this team is at quarterback and wide receiver. Cam Newton ranked 24th in passing grade in his first season as a Patriot and struggled to push the ball downfield. His 2.8% big-time throw rate was a bottom-five mark among quarterbacks on the year. As it stands, New England's No. 1 wideout is Nelson Agholor, who is coming off a boom-or-bust campaign with Las Vegas where he was fed deep crossers and vertical routes. He ranked 45th of 99 qualifiers in receiving grade in what was his most productive year in the NFL. In the five years prior combined, he ranked second-to-last in receiving grade.

Last edited:
Pat's 2022 record protection utilizing advanced mathematical models:

2020 record 7 - 9

Adjusted 2020 record with normalized injury luck (includes opt outs) 9 - 7.

Pats plugged most of their roster holes by spending more than any other team in a buyers market, which is conservatively worth at least 2 wins. Adjusted record: 11- 5

Additional games: 1
Expected additional wins = .61

Expected record after rounding up: 12 - 5

From Mike R. today

4. Early chemistry: Cam Newton, Trent Brown, Jonnu Smith, Jakobi Meyers, Jalen Mills and Kendrick Bourne were among a significant group of Patriots players attending last week's start to voluntary organized team activities. Brown posted on Instagram some of the players spending time together away from the facility, with the message: "In sync like we been here before." Bourne shared on his 'Gram that he sat courtside, with Smith, at a Boston Celtics-Phoenix Suns game. It was a reminder that one of the primary values of offseason programs is the chance to build in-person camaraderie.

PFF thinks the Patriots have the 20th best roster right now. I'll go 10 wins...but only bc of BB coaching. I'm hoping for a QB at 15 but if that doesn't happen we need impact players who can play quickly rather than sitting on the bench in obscurity game after game. We need help now. A real WR1 would be nice; someone like Terrance Marshall. Heck, I'd also welcome a trade back, get an extra pick and get a real Slot WR like Elijah Moore or Amari Rogers/St. Brown. Toney a little later; the kid is electric. I know, those are KC kinds of players, but dammit, times are changing.

20. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Draft capital rank: 14th

Bill Belichick went all-in during free agency, handing out money left and right. Even after the heavy spending, the Patriots still have an average roster outside of their offensive line. Despite losing standout left guard Joe Thuney, they still have a top-10 unit.

The big concern with this team is at quarterback and wide receiver. Cam Newton ranked 24th in passing grade in his first season as a Patriot and struggled to push the ball downfield. His 2.8% big-time throw rate was a bottom-five mark among quarterbacks on the year. As it stands, New England's No. 1 wideout is Nelson Agholor, who is coming off a boom-or-bust campaign with Las Vegas where he was fed deep crossers and vertical routes. He ranked 45th of 99 qualifiers in receiving grade in what was his most productive year in the NFL. In the five years prior combined, he ranked second-to-last in receiving grade.

That is one of the better write-ups I have seen. Thanks for posting. I think we address the skill positions in the draft and maybe get the roster closer to 15.

I have great hope for Cam this year.

Is he the end all be all? Of course, he isn't but he's got some shit to bring to the table.

It’s absolute insanity to think this team is going better than .500 next year. Last year y’all thought they were capable of making the playoffs. I was blown away by everyone’s projections.
How many years of Cam and BB will it take for me to not be called a troll for expressing this viewpoint?
Next year is .500 at best, and I highly doubt BB drafts a good QB.

Cam's performance was built into this projection by starting with the 2020 win total, much like a company's past actions are reflected in its stock price.

It's logical to assume that the weapons added to the offense will improve their offensive EPA and likewise Cam's numbers. It's also logical to assume that additional familiarity with the offense, additional healing time from his 12/2019 Lisfrank operation, and not contracting one of the most deadly diseases in human history in-season will also help him improve upon his 2020 numbers.

It’s absolute insanity to think this team is going better than .500 next year. Last year y’all thought they were capable of making the playoffs. I was blown away by everyone’s projections.
How many years of Cam and BB will it take for me to not be called a troll for expressing this viewpoint?
Next year is .500 at best, and I highly doubt BB drafts a good QB.
I think it was Mike Reiss had them at 9 wins so with the 17 game season that would be a 9-8 record. The schedule appears easier than last year so I think we can get to 9 with the extra game. My bigger hesitation is not just the play of Cam but his health. Last year was the first time in 3 seasons that he started 15 games. And he played injured for part of the season with his foot and shoulder. I don't know if we get that fortunate again with him so a lot depends on not only his improvement but his health.

Back