Looking at the Patriots 2023

Let's feel free to spitball here.

What are the chances Bill goes nuclear and goes all in to get Lamar Jackson to NE?

Chances?

No idea.

Don't hate the idea though. 💡

Agree with the general sentiment here. I'm not cheesed off or angry. It's a rebuild and the team showed enough fight through all games to show there is life in them and they'll keep pushing and they'll get there. I'm patient and knew this would take years to do. The fact we were spoiled for 20+ years also plays a part for me. Looking forward now to the playoffs and seeing some good football. I'm rooting for the Bengals in the AFC and Niners in the NFC.

We will see some old guard sadly leaving like Dev and Slates and they will be huge losses for their character and leadership and it's time for others to now step up. Andrews is there as a Skipper and the likes if Damien Harris and Mac are clearly leaders in the making. Judin is there as well imho.

I'd like to see guys like Dugger, Uche, step up too into those leadership roles.

With Bill still in situ the team's character will never be in question and he will still work his ass off to try and improve the team. He must fix the Patricia situation though, that's the priority to get a top-tier OC in there. He must also completely revamp ST, especially now if Slates leaves.

Onwards and upwards we go.

Maybe as HC with 4 years guaranteed

Adamantly against yet another WR. Fix the OC position first.
Then get players that fix this competent OC’s scheme.
Stop wasting picks and resources on overpaid/over drafted guys who put up JAG stats.
Agholor, Parker, Thornton and the entire crappy chuck it deep offense does not work. See this past 4th quarter, chucked it and got 2 more INTs. It’s terrible and is not worth it. It turns the ball over or generates a lot of 3-and-outs.
Center the passing offense around Meyers, Bourne, and Henry.

Some thoughts I have:
1. Offensive coaching staff realignment is first on my mind. I'll be watching closely to see if BB agrees or if RKK will need to insist. The obvious answer is that BB recognizes his mistake in naming Patricia de-facto OC with no experience or if BB uses Mac's better performances late in the year as encouragement that Patricia was not a mistake & BB wants Patricia back in the same position next year. If that's the case then RKK will have to be careful not to make BB dig in his heels on the matter. There's a lot to consider before confronting BB head on over this - GOAT HC, 6 SB rings, historic dynasties, etc. Imo, RKK's role here should be as facilitator for improvement by asking what can be done to improve the offensive coaching rather than insisting Patricia and/or Judge be removed.
2. A short area quick Slot WR in the mold of Edelman/Welker is needed. Yesterday (20 1st downs & 32.5 mins in TOP) we saw how valuable PA is to Mac and also how valuable a quick hot read as an outlet is to Mac. An Edelman type of Slot receiver for impt. 1st downs would be a nice addition to Meyers, Bourne, Henry, Parker and a developing Thornton.

Let's feel free to spitball here.

What are the chances Bill goes nuclear and goes all in to get Lamar Jackson to NE?

Chances? 0. Lamar is looking for tip top QB money. There's a reason the Ravens haven't been able to get a deal done.

To be blunt, I don't believe Mac is or very will be a top-tier NFL QB. Now he's not crap, he can be a good QB who in the right environment with a very good OC, very good O Line and plenty of weapons, could be a good QB who could lead a team to a championship, but everything has to be in place for him. There is a top tier at the moment in the NFL; Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Hurts, and Lawrence are the top level imho. They are exceptional QBs who can carry their teams to 2 SBs at least imho.

I'm leaving Brady and Rodgers out of the list as they'll be retiring soon.

You have a pack of QBs below that with Prescott, Watson, Lamar, Carr, Cousins, Stafford, Mayfield, Goff, Daniel Jones, Tannehill, Tua and Mac. The likes of Lance and Fields I'm leaving out for now until we see more of them. Lamar could make it to the top tier but he needs to deliver.

In the 'Mac pack' of QBs, all of those QBs are better than Mac bar Tua and Tannehill. They're better when it comes to the QB tools but Mac's brain makes up a bit of ground.

That's the reality imho. We were spoiled here clearly with the GOAT for 20 years and now we're looking for the franchise QB that can take us to the next level. I'm not being cruel to Mac, he could with everything right, deliver a SB, but everything would really have to right for him. Mac is at best for me a middling QB who I don't think can get the Patriots back to the top level.

That's just my opinion.

To be blunt, I don't believe Mac is or very will be a top-tier NFL QB. Now he's not crap, he can be a good QB who in the right environment with a very good OC, very good O Line and plenty of weapons, could be a good QB who could lead a team to a championship, but everything has to be in place for him. There is a top tier at the moment in the NFL; Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Hurts, and Lawrence are the top level imho. They are exceptional QBs who can carry their teams to 2 SBs at least imho.

You have a pack of QBs below that with Prescott, Watson, Lamar, Carr, Cousins, Stafford, Mayfield, Goff, Daniel Jones, Tannehill, Tua and Mac. The likes of Lance and Fields I'm leaving out for now until we see more of them. Lamar could make it to the top tier but he needs to deliver.

In the 'Mac pack' of QBs, all of those QBs are better than Mac bar Tua and Tannehill. They're better when it comes to the QB tools but Mac's brain makes up a bit of ground.

That's the reality imho. We were spoiled here clearly with the GOAT for 20 years and now we're looking for the franchise QB that can take us to the next level. I'm not being cruel to Mac, he could with everything right, deliver a SB, but everything would really have to right for him. Mac is at best for me a middling QB who I don't think can get the Patriots back to the top level.

That's just my opinion.
Did you feel that way last year? I think that it's too early to make that call. Let's see if there is a change in coaching and better OL play next year.

Did you feel that way last year? I think that it's too early to make that call. Let's see if there is a change in coaching and better OL play next year.

I was a bit concerned at the end of the season when his play tailed off. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll be the first to say it and I obviously hope I am very wrong.

That's just my opinion.

I'll take Mac over Prescott, Watson, Lamar (injuries), Carr, Mayfield, Goff, Daniel Jones, Tannehill and Tua all day long.

3 years ...imo that's the time limit you give head coaches coaching and starting players playing to see if they are legit, unless something crazy is involved.
if mac isn't the one, fine. but if he's competent even you can still go with him in yr 4, pick up yr 5, and have 2 yrs to get another qb/build your team.

That's just my opinion.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain. I understand where you're coming from.

There are at least three reasons why I'm not interested in Lamar Jackson as a Patriot.

First, he will break the bank and handicapp the team for a decade. When combined with his injury riddle past, there's no point in that risk, in my opinion.

Along with that, I don't think Bill Belichick is remotely interested in running the type of offense that Lamar Jackson would be good in.

Thirdly, any evaluation of Mac Jones after this season needs to be put off until after next season. It's patently unfair for us to try to gauge his upside after the cluster fuck of an offensive coordinator/offensive line coach that Matt Patricia was this past season. In fact, as I have said here many many times (ad nauseam, I know), I believe Mac Jones performed exceptionally well given the handicaps he was presented with. I truly believe there are not a lot of quarterbacks his age that could have done as well as he did this season in the environment he was forced to play in. As you noted, truly great quarterbacks are hard to find and the jury is still out on Mac Jones. The comment by Bill Belichick in the tweet posted by Chev above is heartening.

IMO.

3 years ...imo that's the time limit you give head coaches coaching and starting players playing to see if they are legit, unless something crazy is involved.
if mac isn't the one, fine. but if he's competent even you can still go with him in yr 4, pick up yr 5, and have 2 yrs to get another qb/build your team.
Success will largely depend on what BB does with the coaches.

Mac needs to move in with Tom House and get his mechanics worked out, big time.

In a letter to season ticket holders, Kraft expressed dissatisfaction for the team's performance this year and determination to evaluate and make changes to improve the team for next year.
Good to hear from the very top of the team.

FmCbeFAXgAAoI55

Back