Looking at the Patriots 2024

Agreed.

The problem is that Mac Jones was a rookie for all intense and purposes. He didn't know what the right thing was to do. All he knew was that he was having his legs cut out from underneath of him, and rather than put all of his eggs in the leg cutter basket (i.e., Bill Belichick) he reached out to the folks he knew he could count on. He certainly could not count on Bill Belichick at that point. Anybody who thinks he could is kidding themselves.

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all times as far as any intelligent fan is concerned.

His handling of Mac Jones is the low point of his career and outlines his occasional/emotional decision-making that cost the Patriots at least one Super Bowl, and maybe more.

All of that said, I wouldn't trade him for any other coach to include the last couple of seasons. Six Lombardi trophies is ridiculous!
Alyouis , I agree almost 100% on your take about Jones.So ... while the "what did you do for me today ? "crew is busy digging Mac's grave , comes this MSN . Rumors of Mac's demise may be a bit premature.

Agreed.

The problem is that Mac Jones was a rookie for all intense and purposes. He didn't know what the right thing was to do. All he knew was that he was having his legs cut out from underneath of him, and rather than put all of his eggs in the leg cutter basket (i.e., Bill Belichick) he reached out to the folks he knew he could count on. He certainly could not count on Bill Belichick at that point. Anybody who thinks he could is kidding themselves.

Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all times as far as any intelligent fan is concerned.

His handling of Mac Jones is the low point of his career and outlines his occasional/emotional decision-making that cost the Patriots at least one Super Bowl, and maybe more.

All of that said, I wouldn't trade him for any other coach to include the last couple of seasons. Six Lombardi trophies is ridiculous!

While I believe it's probably for the best that the Pats and Mac part ways, I would at least be curious to see how
he does in a WCO with some better protection and skill position talent.

You've got him for short money this season, he has played well at times and he's got some experience. Those are facts.

As long as the team lands a QB with talent in this draft, who might well need some time to develop, then I can maybe accept
pushing the reset button and letting Jones compete in camp. I'm skeptical, but it might not be stupid to consider it if you
were in Mayo's shoes. Jerod may feel, like many, that Bill hung him out to dry by cheaping out on the OL and may not be a lost
cause just yet.

The problem with veteran/name QBs is money and this may be a way to build a bridge and get something from an underperforming asset.

I don't know what the odds are of Mac turning it around are. Certainly he's a longshot but it might actually be worth trying.

Mac is a soft little pussy who cant handle the pressure or taking a hit. My best memory of him is when he was crying being carried down the stairs with a sprained ankle.

I agree Mac doesn't handle physical or mental stress very well, let's just say he probably wouldn't get through Marine boot camp. Otoh, we all saw he had some success as a rookie.
Alex Van Pelt says everything is on the table this year so I'm assuming that means Mac is also on the table.

Mike and I have talked about what the Pats might do with Mac this off season & today Mike Reiss published his usual grounded article about the draft and what the Pats may or may not do with pick #3. This article by Mike made me think twice about Mac since a good bridge QB I hoped for 6 weeks ago doesn't appear to be a possibility now. I'm open to anything.

i don't really care that much if they keep mac,though i don't prefer it. my biggest concern is CAN he stay here as far as the lockerroom goes? reading between the lines of what dev said that mike quoted in his article, i'd guess "no".
Former Patriots safety Devin McCourty, an analyst on NBC's "Football Night in America," said he believes that could be the best-case scenario for the Patriots -- assuming they have conviction in one of them as a franchise quarterback.

"New England getting a guy in the building like that would change the outlook for every player, every staff member, and give them something to get excited about," he said.

Mayo sticking the boot in again at the presser! He was saying they had a history in NE of duplicate roles and having a small staff, and you can't win in today's NFL like that.

Steady on Jerod, you've overseen precisely zero games as Patriots HC. And that HC and his style that you and Kraft are taking swipes at continuously brought 6 Lombardis to the team.
Lombardis that he had exactly zero part in, by the way. We can all sit here and pretend that doesn't matter, but you're kidding yourself.

Mike R. brings it in this edition of Quick-hit thoughts.
Wolf could be the cog of reason Kraft needs.
Then he goes on to discuss what AVP wants in an O lineman, what's going on with Kendrick Bourne who is a FA, a little about "The Dynasty", and what Chris Long and Steve Belichick
said about our LB crew who they think are far better than most fans realize.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quick-hit thoughts and notes around the New England Patriots and NFL:

1. Wolf's debut: Patriots director of scouting Eliot Wolf is scheduled to answer questions from reporters Tuesday at the 2024 NFL combine, which is significant for multiple reasons.

It highlights Wolf's evolving role as a leading voice of the personnel department, with the Patriots transitioning from the Bill Belichick era in which Belichick had final personnel say for most of his 24-year tenure. It also marks Wolf's first on-the-record interview since initially joining the team as an adviser in 2020.

So, what should Patriots fans know about the 41-year-old Wolf?

Andrew Brandt, who was a vice president with the Packers from 1999 to 2008 when Wolf was in the initial years of his full-time career as a scout, starts with a story that further solidified his belief in Wolf's acumen.

"I'm a big fan of Eliot. Every now and then I'd walk by his office and ask him what he was looking at, and one time [in 2006] I remember he said, 'I want to show you someone. We're going to take this kid in the second round tomorrow -- Greg Jennings, a receiver from Western Michigan.' And I was like, 'Really? We're going to take a kid from Western Michigan in the second round?' And Eliot just kept saying he hoped he wouldn't go before then," Brandt relayed.

"Then he's showing me the tape and pointing out the body control, the hands, the strength. And he felt there was no question it would transfer to the [NFL]."

Jennings ended up being there at the 52nd pick -- in part because the Patriots had traded with Green Bay to move up to No. 36 to select underachieving Florida receiver Chad Jackson instead -- and he played seven productive seasons for the Packers and was a key part of the 2010 Super Bowl championship team.

To Brandt, the story reflects a notable part of how Wolf works to rebuild parts of the Patriots' roster.

"I believed before, during and after [my tenure] in the Packer Way, which in simplest terms is 'no quick fixes, slow and steady, trust your scouting, trust your board and almost mandate that your coaches play young players,'" Brandt said. "So it's draft and develop, and then speaking to my end [as a negotiator], once you identify those core players, get them under extensions way before free agency."

Former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman first met Wolf when serving as Packers tight ends coach in 1997-98. He remembers Wolf being in the draft room alongside his father, general manager and Pro Football Hall of Famer Ron Wolf, and said: "Learning from Ron, who I consider the very best at that part of the business, [Eliot has] been surrounded by this his whole life and I think he's benefited from it quite handsomely."

Sherman shared two top lessons from Ron Wolf that he carried with him over his career, which he believes will now translate to New England.

"Of all the things I learned from [Ron], one of the biggest was 'don't hide your mistakes -- admit it, fix it and move on.' I'm sure Eliot will embrace a similar type of philosophy," Sherman said. "The other thing he would always talk about is the best available player, not necessarily what you might need. You may need something else, but it's not based on needs, it's based on ability. For the most part I think Ron Wolf did a good job of living by that."

Both Brandt and Sherman see similarities in the demeanor and approach between father and son.

"Eliot gets along with people well, which is a big thing, to be able to get the information you want from particular parties," Sherman said. Brandt recalled once watching film as Ron Wolf leaned back in his chair. There was an awkward silence of sorts before Wolf would chime in.

"When he spoke, people listened. It was a lot of respect," he said. "I could see Eliot having that same kind of approach of 'Hey, we don't need to fill this space with a lot of words. Here's what is important.' He has this calm, quiet, reserved way about him that exudes confidence."

Last edited:
On Good Morning Football, Brian Hoyer on what the #Patriots should do with Mac Jones and the #3 pick:

"I’m gonna stick up for my guy Mac… he’s kinda got a raw deal the past few years… a guy like Marvin Harrison Jr… pair him up. I know what Mac’s capable of. I witnessed it…”

On Good Morning Football, Brian Hoyer on what the #Patriots should do with Mac Jones and the #3 pick:

"I’m gonna stick up for my guy Mac… he’s kinda got a raw deal the past few years… a guy like Marvin Harrison Jr… pair him up. I know what Mac’s capable of. I witnessed it…”

No, I'm not Brian Hoyer in disguise.:ROFLMAO:

In Hoyer's defense, he wasn't there last year.

In Hoyer's defense, he wasn't there last year.

For some reason, that I can't QUITE put my finger on, I don't think Hoyer needs you to defend him. Wait... yes I can.

#HESbeenthere

As if Belichick didn't love versatility and smarts in a player.
Btw, why are we comparing BB's drafting to the Packers' drafting?
How many SBs have they won recently?
If BB had a fault in drafting it was in WRs. He could have valued them more in the draft. That's just mho.
Wolf did value them more and he's from the Packers so he valued RAS scores as they do.
I wouldn't say his Tyquan Thornton did any better than Caserio's N'Keal Harry. Both are busts.
:coffee:
In 2006 the Pats made a trade with the Pack to move up in the draft, Pats took Chad Jackson.
with the lower pick, the Pack took Greg Jennings.
Eliot Wolf was a big fan of Jennings.

Jerod Mayo met with Patriots reporters this morning and, among other things, said:

“Bill (Belichick) did a great job for a long period of time. I don't want you guys to take this, just because we're changing, as shots toward the previous regime. In saying that, we will do it differently, and it'll feel different. And at the end of the day, we would like to replicate the success that the prior regime had.”

Jerod Mayo met with Patriots reporters this morning and, among other things, said:

“Bill (Belichick) did a great job for a long period of time. I don't want you guys to take this, just because we're changing, as shots toward the previous regime. In saying that, we will do it differently, and it'll feel different. And at the end of the day, we would like to replicate the success that the prior regime had.”
They can start by asking him to get Eliot Wolf to STFU about the "Packer Way" and ask the very simple question, how many SBs did the Packers win in the same timeframe as Bill's "Patriot Way"?

oooo, 🫢 oooo.....somebody in The Front Office has been reading football messageboards and is realizing --- according to the unrest in The Fan Base --- how badly RKK/JK have handled The BB Exile

GOOD!! --- if you run someone ovah w/ Your Bus, best to keep an eye out making sure Your Bus don slip gears and reverse back ovah you

dumb schmucks :coffee:

oooo, 🫢 oooo.....somebody in The Front Office has been reading football messageboards and is realizing --- according to the unrest in The Fan Base --- how badly RKK/JK have handled The BB Exile

GOOD!! --- if you run someone ovah w/ Your Bus, best to keep an eye out making sure Your Bus don slip gears and reverse back ovah you

dumb schmucks :coffee:
Mayo is a Puppet

Back