Looking at the Patriots 2024

Mac didn't arrive in NE with a rep for being scared or ducking. In fact, he stood in there quite well year one taking a couple if HUGE hits as a result with no sign of being a pu**y as some of you have taken to calling him.

2 seasons of of shit OL line protection and little offensive competence (players or coaches) have had a negative impact. How could it not?

I firmly believe that will reverse itself in an organization that has a decent offensive direction, staff and talent whether it be this one or elsewhere.

I hope we get to find out next season somewhere.
I was a big time Mac fan when we drafted him. There, I said it again out loud,again.

I trust my eye. I saw Jim Plunkett syndrome slowly set in as he slowly got the living shit beat out of him. Oh, it it would have been nice if he had someone to when he wasn't getting the living shit knocked out of him.

But now it's time to move on. I just hope that we get the OL fixed and get a real #1 WR before we ruin another 1st round QB.

Reasonable. Time will tell.

I was a big time Mac fan when we drafted him. There, I said it again out loud,again.

I trust my eye. I saw Jim Plunkett syndrome slowly set in as he slowly got the living shit beat out of him. Oh, it it would have been nice if he had someone to when he wasn't getting the living shit knocked out of him.

But now it's time to move on. I just hope that we get the OL fixed and get a real #1 WR before we ruin another 1st round QB.

Plunkett. Who knows if the outcome will be remotely similar, but the beginning sure as hell has been.

Mac didn't get beat up even remotely close to was happened to Plunkett. There weren't any rules protecting QBs back then, like there are now.

Mac didn't get beat up even remotely close to was happened to Plunkett. There weren't any rules protecting QBs back then, like there are now.
That's true about the rules. Mac didn't have to take the same beating as Plunkett, with today's bigger, faster, stronger players. We wouldn't be looking to trade him if he had. We would have had a funeral.

Last edited:
Last day to tag Dugger or Onwenu. Let's get moving!
Tagging Dugger would cost the Patriots $17.123 million against their salary cap & Onwenu would cost $20.985 million.

Thoughts?

1. I think he is better than anyone on the roster right now.
2. I think think signing him will allow Onwenu to play RT, GREATLEY improving two key positions.
3. I think that even though he is older, he'll make a fine 2-3 year bridge OT, allowing us the luxury to pass on a top OT in this draft when we have so many other needs.
4. I think he is in a highly valued position at a time when there are few available and thus will command major $$$ (Ditto re-signing Onwenu).
5. I think that although quality left and right tackles are the key to improving the team, Kraft will not spend the required $$ for quality tackles and we will do the same as last year: sign a bunch of "value" OTs that will do no good whatsoever and possibly ruin our new franchise QB in a single painful-to-watch year. :( :banghead: :sulk:

Wouldn't call it a bargain but it's a really good value.
I've expected the tag for him since December figuring there may be no other way to keep him here.
With Bill gone, he has even less reason to want to stay.

The Transition Tag = avg of top 10 players (not top 5 as with ER FT). No compensation is due the original club if it refuses to match another team's contract offer.

That's a bargain.

Good move. We now have $89,000,000 in cap space and can restructure a couple of contracts to get more. I really don't think Onwenu is worth anywhere near the tag #. He's good and worth a nice contract, maybe 65% of the tag number.

It's interesting listening to todays PU. Evan and Deuce were at the combine and came back with a load of info. They both said they would he very happy with any of the top 3 QBs. Maye, Daniels or Williams. They were impressed with all three. I think Evan is big on Maye, but they like all three. If the Pats are on their wavelength on this, then we'll get a QB for sure at pick 3. What was also interesting is they said someone is doing major PR for JJ McCarthy because too many people are buying into this belief that his stock is seriously rising and will be a high first rounder, and Evan and Deuce are like WTF? What they saw was awful. Errant throws and a weird throwing action. They said he's a far better athlete than Mac Jones, but he would need an insane amount of work.

They said Caleb Williams can't win with some people. He's criticized because he cried, criticized because he's playing the game at the combine and saying all the right things etc etc.

Wouldn't call it a bargain but it's a really good value.
I've expected the tag for him since December figuring there may be no other way to keep him here.
With Bill gone, he has even less reason to want to stay.

The Transition Tag = avg of top 10 players (not top 5 as with ER FT). No compensation is due the original club if it refuses to match another team's contract offer.
Well, he's gone. Someone's going to pay him a ton more than that.

Well, he's gone. Someone's going to pay him a ton more than that.

The Pats intend to match any offer which is why they used the transition tag instead of the FT - cheaper price. No more poison pills in today's NFL.

Last edited:
When Belichick took over in 2000, he had some of Pete's and Parcell's guys. BB cleaned house and brought in some of his old players from prior teams. Brought in a bunch of low profile free agents.

Mayo's roladex of prior players is non existent. Think it's going to be a long road back to the playoffs and we shouldn't expect a quick turnaround

When Belichick took over in 2000, he had some of Pete's and Parcell's guys. BB cleaned house and brought in some of his old players from prior teams. Brought in a bunch of low profile free agents.

Mayo's roladex of prior players is non existent. Think it's going to be a long road back to the playoffs and we shouldn't expect a quick turnaround

I agree it will be a few years to get back to respectability but I don't think the small size of Mayo's rolodex will be the problem.
Wolf, AVP, Scott Peters, Ben McAdoo and Matt Groh have plenty of personal experience and knowledge about NFL players.
Now add in the Patriots' Pro Personnel database and every player in the NFL has been logged & categorized.

It's interesting listening to todays PU. Evan and Deuce were at the combine and came back with a load of info. They both said they would he very happy with any of the top 3 QBs. Maye, Daniels or Williams. They were impressed with all three. I think Evan is big on Maye, but they like all three. If the Pats are on their wavelength on this, then we'll get a QB for sure at pick 3. What was also interesting is they said someone is doing major PR for JJ McCarthy because too many people are buying into this belief that his stock is seriously rising and will be a high first rounder, and Evan and Deuce are like WTF? What they saw was awful. Errant throws and a weird throwing action. They said he's a far better athlete than Mac Jones, but he would need an insane amount of work.

They said Caleb Williams can't win with some people. He's criticized because he cried, criticized because he's playing the game at the combine and saying all the right things etc etc.

It is fair to say that I am biased against JJ because of my massive distaste for Michigan and the fact they demand to be celebrated as National Champions after cheating to win it.

That said, he is NOT a pro QB never mind a first round draft pick.

Back