Los Angeles Chargers?

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Even though it's a near certainty, the Chargers still seem to find a way to make a mess of things.

Last night, it was reported that the move would be announced today.
Then it was also announced that they will play the next 2 seasons in a 30,000 seat stadium (how funny would it be if they couldn't sell that out).

Now, PFT is saying that it's still not official.

Chargers news was a trial balloon, a P.R. blunder, or both

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2017, 6:01 AM EST

It is true that the Chargers have told Commissioner Roger Goodell and multiple owners that the team will move to Los Angeles. It is also true that the team does not regard the decision as final because it has not been officially communicated to the team’s staff or to the relevant public officials.

The end result is one of two realities. Providing information that the organization had to know would be leaked represented a deliberate trial balloon or a P.R. debacle. Possibly, both.

Having the news get out via outsiders who blabbed to multiple reporters is no way to properly disengage with local customers on whom the Chargers may rely to make the drive from time to time to Inglewood. Unless the last-ditch effort to stay in San Diego wasn’t waiting for the outcome of Wednesday’s joint meeting of the NFL’s stadium and finance committees but monitoring the reaction in San Diego and Los Angeles to the news of a move.

Will this final, not-final threat to leave be the I’ll-turn-this-car-around-right-now moment that convinces the kids that the car really will be turned around? If there’s ever going to be a local solution, getting out the word of a relocation while the relocation can still be reversed would be the best way to give the tree one final, violent shake.

The leak also gives the Chargers a chance to see how they’d be welcomed in L.A. Based on this column from Bill Plaschke of the L.A. Times, the arms (and thus the wallets) aren’t wide open. The next question is whether calls from 310 and related area codes will instantly be made to the Chargers’ ticket office on Thursday morning with ticket inquiries for the 30,000-seat StubHub Center.

It’s also possible that the Chargers are indeed leaving with no chance of staying and that, after months and years of uncertainty and negotiation and failed efforts to build a local stadium and planning for this specific moment, the Chargers poorly miscalculated the reality that telling Goodell and multiple owners that a move is coming would quickly make its way to the media.

Regardless, a moment that many saw coming (and it’s cute to see those who saw it coming try to claim credit for being right all along after getting scooped last night) is now here. Sort of. Kind of. Not officially yet.

Which means that the Chargers either handled it poorly. Or brilliantly. Or both.

It's also being reported that the franchise is considering a complete rebranding which would include a new name, logo and color scheme.

Report: Chargers may rebrand in L.A.

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2017, 7:30 AM EST

Fifty-seven years ago, the Chargers launched in Los Angeles. They’re reportedly returning. (Unless they aren’t.)

They’re also reportedly considering rebranding the team. Which would mean shedding one of the iconic names and uniforms and adopting something new.

Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports that the Chargers are considering the adoption of a new name in L.A. It wouldn’t happen in 2017, but it will be a consideration for future years.

The Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Oilers before becoming the Tennessee Titans, in a move that plenty of old-school fans still lament. The extinction of the Chargers would be met with even greater dismay.

Offsetting the angst could be a new nickname and color scheme and logo and uniforms that inspire and fascinate. I currently have no ideas. But I’ve got no qualms about treating any of the ideas that you may drop in the comments as my own.

I think the chance of rebranding is BS. They started as the LA Chargers, and if the reception for the team is LA is going to be lukewarm to start with, the last thing you want to do is alienate any Charger fans who live between LA and San Diego - those who potentially might make the regular drive and/or buy season tickets. Rebranding the team and making "Chargers" extinct totally undercuts that, and it certainly wouldn't make LA residents more likely to become fans.

I think the chance of rebranding is BS. They started as the LA Chargers, and if the reception for the team is LA is going to be lukewarm to start with, the last thing you want to do is alienate any Charger fans who live between LA and San Diego - those who potentially might make the regular drive and/or buy season tickets. Rebranding the team and making "Chargers" extinct totally undercuts that, and it certainly wouldn't make LA residents more likely to become fans.

That was my thought as well. Just stupid to consider that. The only time rebranding makes sense is if the name is tied to a regional characteristic. Renaming the Oilers made sense. The Browns were renamed because Modell recognized that the name was too tied to Cleveland. Many don't know that the Pats would have been renamed to Stallions if they had moved to St. Louis.

But the Chargers are just going up the highway and there are still plenty of Charger fans in the greater LA area. Let's see how badly Spanos can screw this up.

I could see the franchise moving away from the name "Chargers" - many people (most?) don't realize it refers to horses, and think it has something to do with electricity. And the initial logo for the team included a horse's head.

Perhaps the new name will ThunderBolts, or something like that, and there will be new logos that go along with that theme.

They are going to rebrand. Too many marketing and apparel opportunities for that team. LA Chargers doesn't sound bad (not as bad as Utah Jazz or LA Lakers who should have changed their names), but I think they change.

It's official:

C1-2P3iUUAAPPX0.png

I really hate the way this is allowed to happen. teams just uprooted and taken away from communities with just a signature of a pen from some old duffer.

The new logo.

C1-7tM7W8AE17fN.jpg:large

What was their attendance through 8 games though? This graph just shows 1 game and that stadium has a higher capacity than Gillette

Looked to me like that stadium was pretty empty all season long.

LA has already had NFL football come and go....

Luckily, we didn't lose our team to St Louis

Back