Los Angeles Chargers?

Darren Rovell Verified account
‏@darrenrovell
Source: Chargers logo is a working logo and has not been approved by the NFL.

The amount of ****-up in this entire scenario is amazing.

The NFL has been working and planning for 25 years to put an NFL team in LA and this is how it goes down.

There are hundreds of reasons to fire GoodHell but this is the one that takes the cake. 25 year and this whole process was a complete chester foxtrot and what the fans of LA are left with is the Rams and the Chargers.

does this mean we get a remix-

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gcyM3o-HpCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Southern California Chargers

The So-Cal Chargers

Something like this would make so much sense. It certainly has worked for the New England Patriots to cover a region (unless you're a certain Denver fan) with their name. All the tv/radio news stations out here say something like, "Your source for Southern California news!". Southern Cal has long been the term to cover LA, Orange County, Inland Empire (Riverside & San Bernardino Counties). Sometimes Ventura/Santa Barbara & San Diego Counties get lumped in, but they don't always like it.) The counties are almost the size and sometimes larger population of New England States.

One of the dumbest re-names was The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Maybe they'll try The Los Angeles Chargers previously of San Diego.

Sometimes Ventura/Santa Barbara & San Diego Counties get lumped in, but they don't always like it.
I always think of Ventura and Santa Barbara as being part of Southern California.

The Central Coast doesn't start until you get north of the tunnel on the 101 in Gaviota.

The amount of ****-up in this entire scenario is amazing.

The NFL has been working and planning for 25 years to put an NFL team in LA and this is how it goes down.

There are hundreds of reasons to fire GoodHell but this is the one that takes the cake. 25 year and this whole process was a complete chester foxtrot and what the fans of LA are left with is the Rams and the Chargers.

Last year, the NFL/Goodhell was also trying to squeeze in the Raiders, too. Plan was to build one new stadium for Rams and another one for Chargers/Raiders to share.

I always think of Ventura and Santa Barbara as being part of Southern California.

The Central Coast doesn't start until you get north of the tunnel on the 101 in Gaviota.

It all depends on who you're talking to and where they live. California is so big that I know folks in far north of CA (Arcata) that consider San Francisco to be part of Southern Cal.

It all depends on who you're talking to and where they live. California is so big that I know folks in far north of CA (Arcata) that consider San Francisco to be part of Southern Cal.
Well, SF is south of Sacramento, so it makes sense.

I guess from that perspective, Monterey and Carmel are definitely in SoCal. :D

How about something like Prince did: The Football Team formally known as the SD Chargers

TFTFKATSDC for short!
Try chanting that.... TFTFKATSDC! TFTFKATSCD!

Will be a bitch to rhyme in the TFTFKATDC Chants thread :coffee:

(when Prince switched to that symbol)

They need to keep their old logo. The new "work in progress" one is awful.

Also, sucks for San Diego. Too bad they don't have a great owner like us. One who kept the Pats NE.

They need to keep their old logo. The new "work in progress" one is awful.

Also, sucks for San Diego. Too bad they don't have a great owner like us. One who kept the Pats NE.

That great owner almost relocated to a few different places...in the end, he did what he did (yes, a great thing). But, he was seriously sniffing around.

C1_dtK0UQAALNCQ.jpg

:cool:

I am right in the thick of things here.
Wifey and most of her side of family are Charger fans. Sad. Not anymore for now, we'll see if that lasts.

We didn't get to vote as we are just outside San Diego. Not sure of all the details but was surprised the prop didn't pass. Seemed like it wasn't going to cost city residents anything.

I am pissed because stadium was 8 miles from home. Great when Steelers were in town.
As far as attendance , about every week, 30-60% of the stadium was opposing team fans.

And for what its worth I think they should do a total rebrand.

I am pissed because stadium was 8 miles from home. Great when Steelers were in town.
As far as attendance , about every week, 30-60% of the stadium was opposing team fans.
Not surprising to me. Lots of Pats fans in the area, too.

I lived in Point Loma for a year. There was a house just off Rosecrans St (near Liberty Station, if you know where that is) that flew a Patriots flag every day. I would see it every time I shopped at Ralph's. Good times.

Not surprising to me. Lots of Pats fans in the area, too.

I lived in Point Loma for a year. There was a house just off Rosecrans St (near Liberty Station, if you know where that is) that flew a Patriots flag every day. I would see it every time I shopped at Ralph's. Good times.

Love the Point Loma area. I live half way up Mt Helix.

You lucky SOB's. Wife and I vacationed there last summer and we never wanted to leave. Makes us better than Spanos, I guess...

Seems the grass is always greener (literally for a while now, although great start to the year thus far) where one is not.

And then there's the politics and TAXES!!

I find myself yearning for Montana or something like that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-chargers-today-relocation-is-rife-with-pain

Past the politics, the referendums, the haggling over stadium space and cash flow; beyond the fresh new branding and pretty words about why this makes sense for the league and for Los Angeles -- I think of the Chargers fans.

Somewhere in San Diego on Thursday morning, a 12-year-old football fanatic woke from dreams to learn of a new reality: their team was gone.

Sure, the move is not into total oblivion -- just two hours north into the metal, seaside jungles of Los Angeles. But for many Chargers fans, this is the end, the bookmark to a painful, elongated tug-of-war between the team and San Diego voters over how to pay for a shiny, new stadium within city walls.

Instead of a peaceful resolution, the Chargers will play 113 miles up the coast at the StubHub Center, an intimate, 30,000-seat, Carson-based venue that shouldn't expect any guarantees when it comes to longtime fans making the traffic-clustered, two-hour trip north.

Two hours -- and too many broken promises -- will be too much for plenty of burnt fans who gave their loyalty, their money and their hearts to San Diego's football team.

No easy words for Chargers fans

The people of San Diego have a new ally this morning in anyone who's watched the team they adore ripped away in the thick of the night.

Browns fans, especially, have come out of the woodwork on social media to empathize with Chargers fans just beginning to process what this all means. The team you grew up rooting for is no more.

I grew up a Browns fan in the 1980s. My bedroom wall was adorned with hand-drawn sketches of Bernie Kosar, Frank Minnifield, Webster Slaughter and Earnest Byner. The obsession level was off the charts, enough to cause parental concern.

As a drifting middle-schooler, my secret home was notebooks filled with statistical printouts, bleeding-heart essays about Cleveland's playoff chances and every fact and figure I could muster.

At that age, all I knew was that the Browns were inseparable from the bloodstream of Cleveland. Even as someone who followed the team from a distance on the East Coast, it was impossible not to feel the powerful bond between that blue-collar Ohio town and its football team.

Inside the world of my adolescent mind, it went without saying that the Browns and Cleveland would be together forever.

How little I knew.

What's past is prologue
I was a junior in college at American University in Washington, D.C., when I first heard the news.

Nov. 4, 1995.

I remember wandering lazily into the shared kitchen space in our co-ed campus dormitory. Dirty pots and pans and ramshackle furniture everywhere. No sound, save for the television tacked to the white-washed brick wall -- with some news guy breaking into a sweat as he passed along the rumor:

Browns owner Art Modell was moving the team from Cleveland to Baltimore.

Wherever I was going, whatever wayward packet of Ramen noodles I was planning to boil, it all went away in a white-hot flash of stunned confusion.

"This has been a very, very tough road for my family and for me," Modell said days later during a news conference in the shadow of Camden Yards, where a 70,000-seat stadium would be built for Baltimore's new football team. "I leave Cleveland after 35 years, and leave a good part of my heart and soul there. I can never forget the kindness of the people of Cleveland, the fans that supported the Browns for years. But frankly, it came down to a single proposition: I had no choice."

If Chargers owner Dean Spanos can relate to Modell's plight, Chargers fans now know the fresh pain of watching an era splintered to the wind.

After all, no team besides the Chargers has spent more time in one city before pulling the plug. Fifty-six years of ups and downs reduced to nothingness for a jilted fan base that can't be asked to simply pick up and follow along like obedient little minions.

So glad we were spared this experience.

Back