Los Angeles Chargers?

I always thought the Colts should have rebranded when they moved to Indy. The name Colts and Baltimore go hand-in-hand. Plus when debates come up like who was the greatest Colts QB of all time, no one thinks of Unitas because he played in Baltimore. Instead they go right to Jeff George.

I know many people in Baltimore that hate the fact that Indy gets to use the Colts name. Ravens is cool because of the Poe connection but it makes sense to me that the Chargers would rebrand for the move to LA.

That was my thought as well. Just stupid to consider that. The only time rebranding makes sense is if the name is tied to a regional characteristic. Renaming the Oilers made sense. The Browns were renamed because Modell recognized that the name was too tied to Cleveland. Many don't know that the Pats would have been renamed to Stallions if they had moved to St. Louis.

But the Chargers are just going up the highway and there are still plenty of Charger fans in the greater LA area. Let's see how badly Spanos can screw this up.

I thought the city and the NFL took that to court to keep the name in Cleveland and then Tagliabue awarded them the team back complete with the "saved" name Browns in 1999?

I don't think that had anything to do with Modell but I agree with everything else you wrote. That would have been a travesty to see our Patriots as the St Louis Stallions. There's even a small exhibit on this at the Patriots HOF

I always thought the Colts should have rebranded when they moved to Indy. The name Colts and Baltimore go hand-in-hand. Plus when debates come up like who was the greatest Colts QB of all time, no one thinks of Unitas because he played in Baltimore. Instead they go right to Jeff George.

I know many people in Baltimore that hate the fact that Indy gets to use the Colts name. Ravens is cool because of the Poe connection but it makes sense to me that the Chargers would rebrand for the move to LA.

agreed. Never felt right, still doesn't.

I thought the city and the NFL took that to court to keep the name in Cleveland and then Tagliabue awarded them the team back complete with the "saved" name Browns in 1999?

I think technically the city agreed to let the Browns go without litigation if they left the colors and team history/records behind, along with Tags' promise that the expansion Browns would exist soon.

I might be remembering it wrong, but that's what I remember.

Plus when debates come up like who was the greatest Colts QB of all time, no one thinks of Unitas because he played in Baltimore. Instead they go right to Jeff George.
That was inspired. :thumb:

Yeah, the Colts should have changed when they moved. But now, they've been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore. How crazy is that?

If they do change their name, I think the L.A. Football Lakers would be awesome.

L.A. Football Clippers would be more appropriate since the Clippers B-ball team also moved up from SAn Diego.

I did message my one Chargers fan friend here last night to ask if he'd be getting season tickets, and his reply was:

"Seeing as how I'm sure they'll be terrible again next year, probably not, but I'm down to go to a game or two."

So there's that.

But they're apparently going to play at StubHub center, which has a capacity of like 27,000?

I think technically the city agreed to let the Browns go without litigation if they left the colors and team history/records behind, along with Tags' promise that the expansion Browns would exist soon.

I might be remembering it wrong, but that's what I remember.

I remember it that way too.

That's true. I think like Steve-o mentioned, they shouldn't have been the Rams in STL.
no they should have been the Cardinals, teams can move but leave the names.

There were saying on NFL radio this morning that the franchise move fee (or whatever) is something like $658M but that the city and team are only about $175M apart on the cost of a new stadium (I forget the exact numbers), so I am skeptical that they are really going to move to LA to be tenants in a building with another team rather than own their own stadium.

Not that I really care. I'm just glad to see people in San Diego not agreeing to pay for a stadium for an NFL team.

If they do change their name, I think the L.A. Football Lakers would be awesome.
seeing it is LA I would shorten that to the L.A. Fakers

Yeah, the Colts should have changed when they moved. But now, they've been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore. How crazy is that?

I just looked that up because I was thinking the same thing. Nuts.

fitting since Unitas was a Charger - great work combining all these into this thread.

on a side, Didn't the Titans play as the Oilers a couple year while waiting for their stadium to open and then re-brand as the Titans in the New Home?

Twitter response from the Tampa Bay Lightning:

whONPLzx_bigger.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightning
‏@TBLightning

*checks mentions*
*squints*
*clears throat*

for the record, us & the @dodgers are just friends

If we are coming up with potential names for the Chargers rebrand, I propose:

The LA Thespians

2 teams in LA. Why???

I honestly don't know how the Chargers are going to work out, but I have to give it up for our mayor, Eric Garcetti.

Some amazing things are happening here right now. The NFL is back, the stadium will open in a few years with two teams. The Super Bowl comes in 2021. Later in 2021, the George Lucas museum will open up, joining the Broad and all the other new museums we've gotten. The LA River revitalization is going to transform this city, returning much of it to native wetlands and public parks. And we are finally getting some public transportation here, with lines now open to the beach and the next 20 years of metro expansions already approved.

And, we could get the 2024 Olympics.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Chargers manage to find support. The Rams certainly have.

Back