Mac Jones Is Our QB1

You can maybe look at it this way. Without Cam's less than stellar play last season, we never would have been in the position to get Mac Jones at this years draft.....
And to all the teams who passed on him as well.

You can maybe look at it this way. Without Cam's less than stellar play last season, we never would have been in the position to get Mac Jones at this years draft.....

Yeah, I still don't understand how some people still shit on Cam for last season considering how bad of a position he was put in.

Oh yeah! I'm in!

Welcome! Great to have a Tide man here. I was thinking during the offseason that the Patriots may have picked up a number of Tide fans over the years with the Bama players, the friendship with Saban etc.

Hell, let's get a pre-season game next year to Bryant-Denny Stadium!

So....

Cam knifed himself?

Mac the....

Second, there's Cam himself. I don't think Cam would become a problem if he was benched, but we really don't know. He's never been in a battle for his job, and he sure as hell hasn't ever lost one, so we don't know how he'd react if and when that happens. But you want to minimize any risk from Cam's attitude as much as possible. If you're a real jedi at this, you can even get to the point where Cam himself sees that this is the way to go. I was once employed at a shop in Connecticut that is (along with it's founder and CEO) famous/notorious for it's principles of management and way of being. They had a huge focus on ownership, do your job, next man up, zero ego, transparent and objective evaluation of yourself and others, the whole bit. Very "Patriot Way." They would have "sync" meetings which dove into people's performance and worked on "getting to truth" about people's capabilities, performance, potential, etc., They would have them in great detail and shockingly often. The end result of this - which I saw and even participated in on multiple occasions - was sometimes that an employee agreed that they shouldn't be in the job they were in. They were essentially signing off on a transfer, demotion, or even to resign because they were essentially agreeing that they should be fired (or weren't good enough to make it on the career path they wanted to be on, and so would unhappily stagnate.)
Point being, ideally you want to get to the point where Cam himself sees that it's better to make the switch to Mac. If he accepts this - or at least accepts that it's what the team believes - he's more likely to be a net positive in a backup/mentor/changeup role. Plus, as has been pointed out by others, if you start Cam and switch to Mac, that's what's expected. Everyone knows it's coming, will be able to see it as it approaches, and is already preparing mentally for it. If you start Mac and end up having to switch to Cam...different story. If Cam comes in and performs well, not only do you risk splitting the locker room when Mac is back available but, if you have to sit Mac for performance reasons, you run a real risk of long-term damage to Mac. Some guys never get that mojo back.

I cut the rest of the quote reluctantly because there was a lot of thought that went into the whole post, but I wanted to focus on the above for now, which was especially well done.

Cam does the whole "larger than life" persona thing AKA Superman, even as his skills have been in freefall ever since his body started getting busted up and he couldn't run over people every time he got in a jam as he did in his prime.

Most players love his outgoing, positive nature and they tend to remember Cam as Superman. He was the unstoppable, badass persona and that helps them overlook his decline as a player over the last 4 or so seasons.

Maybe he just couldn't accept the loss of face that would have him holding a clipboard in front of the same guys he saw himself leading. His ego/pride may not have allowed him to
handle that reality and he rejected the possibility of the No. 2 to chase a chance to get back to where he still sees himself, although very few football people share that vision.

It's better for him to take a sub role elsewhere because it buys time to "learn the system" in front of a new group that might still buy the myth that he can be a plus starter again.

He does not mince words. Exactly. Harrison doesn't worry about playing nice. Doesn't care about sacred cows. The guy has zero filter, which is why he stands out. EVERYBODY in the business has a filter but Rodney.
One of reasons why he's so good...

I cut the rest of the quote reluctantly because there was a lot of thought that went into the whole post, but I wanted to focus on the above for now, which was especially well done.

Cam does the whole "larger than life" persona thing AKA Superman, even as his skills have been in freefall ever since his body started getting busted up and he couldn't run over people every time he got in a jam as he did in his prime.

Most players love his outgoing, positive nature and they tend to remember Cam as Superman. He was the unstoppable, badass persona and that helps them overlook his decline as a player over the last 4 or so seasons.

Maybe he just couldn't accept the loss of face that would have him holding a clipboard in front of the same guys he saw himself leading. His ego/pride may not have allowed him to
handle that reality and he rejected the possibility of the No. 2 to chase a chance to get back to where he still sees himself, although very few football people share that vision.

It's better for him to take a sub role elsewhere because it buys time to "learn the system" in front of a new group that might still buy the myth that he can be a plus starter again.
The more I think about it the more convinced I am that Cam hit the running back wall.

He was technically a QB but he played like a power back. Remember how hast Earl Campbell lost it. I don't think it's a question of offensive system or style, he's just broken and not ever gonna be fixed.

Today just feels like a load was removed from the shoulders of Patriot Nation. We can all breath a little easer knowing that when our rookie QB makes a mistake he will learn from it. Not just keep doing the same thing over and over and over.

Welcome aboard! We'd be interested in your experiences with Mac as your QB at Bama

:smilies-11117:
Great to be aboard!
Reflecting on Mac after his time at Alabama

He is driven to succeed.
He downplays his intelligence.
He has a mighty fine looking girlfriend.

I never would've imagined a no name dude would have pulled off what he accomplished at Bama.
After Tua was pile driven into the turf in Starkville, who knew the future?
The future was 15-1. A three point loss to Auburn in his second start is the only blemish.
Mac had a fantastic supporting cast last season. Then again, it was all SEC teams plus Notre Dame and Ohio State.
I know the NFL is a different beast from SEC college football, but Mac pulled it off under Saban at Alabama.
And I look forward to the "no name dude" executing the same surgical precision in New England.

Rodney Harrison doesn't mince words

"I just think this is the right guy for the job. And it's a no-brainer to me. I don't understand how this could be hard for coach Belichick. I know he has a lot of loyalty to Cam, but at the end of the day, the thing he always preached to us, he said, 'I'm going to do what's best for the team.' In my opinion, what's best for the team is starting Mac Jones and not Cam Newton."
Rodney's ability to read the situation was always his strong suit.

Great to be aboard!
Reflecting on Mac after his time at Alabama

He is driven to succeed.
He downplays his intelligence.
He has a mighty fine looking girlfriend.

I never would've imagined a no name dude would have pulled off what he accomplished at Bama.
After Tua was pile driven into the turf in Starkville, who knew the future?
The future was 15-1. A three point loss to Auburn in his second start is the only blemish.
Mac had a fantastic supporting cast last season. Then again, it was all SEC teams plus Notre Dame and Ohio State.
I know the NFL is a different beast from SEC college football, but Mac pulled it off under Saban at Alabama.
And I look forward to the "no name dude" executing the same surgical precision in New England.
welcome, nice to have you aboard!
i don't watch college ball so i appreciate having people around who have seen him play in college and can give some insight/perspective on his tenure there and how he's developed.

This may be a little premature but it's PFF's call not mine.

Those of us who beat the drums for Mac Jones pre-draft are to be congratulated for seeing through the arguments against him. The talent and coaching at Bama made it tough but Mac made the throws on his own. I'm pretty sure we got this right and today PFF is in full agreement.
Good call, dude!

Don't neglect the not having to look over his shoulder. That is a plus for the rookie.

I've heard this several times from several football gurus today, but I honestly don't think it would bother Mac Jones.

Mac doesn't worry about the competition and focuses on making his own game better. If you could get him to talk about the situation honestly, I think Jones would admit that he could see it would just be a matter of months before he left Cam in the dust. Jones was not one of those new-wave QBs that moves all around the country trying to find the easiest place to have success, like Fields or Lawrence. He's the kind of guy that takes on all comers and trusts that he'll be good enough to be the last guy standing.

I don't know if Mac is really fearless, but I have yet to see him look afraid in any circumstance. That is unusual in a young, relatively inexperienced QB. He may have some shaky patches in the months ahead, but I'll be surprised if he looks overwhelmed or scared like so many rookie QBs faced with all the complexities of trying to make it in the Show. He doesn't really LOOK like a badass physically, but I think he really is one on the inside, which is much more important.

I've heard this several times from several football gurus today, but I honestly don't think it would bother Mac Jones.

Mac doesn't worry about the competition and focuses on making his own game better. If you could get him to talk about the situation honestly, I think Jones would admit that he could see it would just be a matter of months before he left Cam in the dust. Jones was not one of those new-wave QBs that moves all around the country trying to find the easiest place to have success, like Fields or Lawrence. He's the kind of guy that takes on all comers and trusts that he'll be good enough to be the last guy standing.

I don't know if Mac is really fearless, but I have yet to see him look afraid in any circumstance. That is unusual in a young, relatively inexperienced QB. He may have some shaky patches in the months ahead, but I'll be surprised if he looks overwhelmed or scared like so many rookie QBs faced with all the complexities of trying to make it in the Show. He doesn't really LOOK like a badass physically, but I think he really is one on the inside, which is much more important.
You have to become a badass to survive the given name McCorkle. This season is gonna be fun.

Back