Mallet is gone

As much as I didn't like Mallet, I'm actually happy for him. He gets to play in a system he's familiar with for a coach he's familiar with and a QB coach in Godsey that he's familiar with, and he has a really good chance of becoming their starter, at least at some point. That was never going to happen here, and by all accounts, he was a good teammate and a hard worker. He does deserve a shot. Just not here.

Released today means stories of malcontent tomorrow - this is Boston and we kick them as they walk out the door!!!

I like it. Quarles can play DT in a 4-3 or with some technique refinement a 5 tech DE in a 3-4. I thought the Giants stole him as an UDFA. He was thought of as a day 2 prospect until that nightclub incident 2 wks before the draft wh/ he's now been cleared of. No doubt playing with Clowney helped him but he was a very good player for South Car.

Like Easley, he's known to be very quick off the snap and penetrate with power although he needs coaching for better technique.

The Pats showed interest prior to the draft.

I thought I had recalled reading him mocked to the Pats in the 2nd a few times.

I have to think he may well prove better than many believe for the Texans

I agree with this. He was very pale relative to Brady (who isn't?). JG is better and paled much less. That said, TFB set the bar soooo high that only the second coming of Steve Young (JG, please be SY!) could look good enough for us to begin to hope for life after Brady being bright.

Mallett just may prove a lot of folks wrong and end up being a mid-tier starting QB.....

I just think it was a late going awAy present to O'brein. He traded him for nothing. The texans never addressed there need for a QB in the draft.

Is it too late to get a couple of firsts for Mallet?

We get a 7th for Mallett that can become a 6th depending on playing time.

BO'B drove a hard negotiation or BB did him a favor imo. A 7th?

BB should have traded him on Draft day. When his stock was at the highest. Struggling during PS cost BB big tine.

I don't think he was ever worth what people around here thought he was, unlike some of the other backups that went for valuable picks, Mallet had very little tape to show that he had progressed at all....and it got worse post draft. If they feel comfortable with Jimmy, they should be happy getting anything for Mallet.

SSDD

BB should have traded him on Draft day. When his stock was at the highest. Struggling during PS cost BB big tine.
I think BB would have, but what makes you think his stock was high then? Maybe BB got the same draft offer and was hoping Mallet would have shown improvement, but after the debacle Mallet had BB some any hope for a higher pick go out the window...

Bill thought it through, did the math, made his play and forevermore, it is what it is. He'll not waste a second contemplating how it might have been.

Cheers, BostonTim

this is kind of revisionist history. On draft day, no one knew Grappollo would turn out to be the player he eventually became. In fact, in OTAs when Grappollo struggled, BB would have been pilloried had he traded Mallett.

We got three years backup duty from a third round pick, had a backup at a lot less than the cost of most NFL backups. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think he was ever worth what people around here thought he was, unlike some of the other backups that went for valuable picks, Mallet had very little tape to show that he had progressed at all....and it got worse post draft. If they feel comfortable with Jimmy, they should be happy getting anything for Mallet.

SSDD

This.

Bill thought it through, did the math, made his play and forevermore, it is what it is. He'll not waste a second contemplating how it might have been.

Cheers, BostonTim

This.

Cheers, BostonTim

I agree. There are plenty of reasons "good prospects" don't develop into great players and Mallett is one of those "good prospects" whose development got stuck somewhere along the line. Worse mistakes have been made...it happens --> Ja'Marcus Russell, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Matt Leinart, Matt Jones (another Ark. QB), and how about the Brady 6 just to name a few. BB will wish RM well, say goodbye and not look back.

Back