McDaniels' comments on Tebow

Yes. Mallett is entering only his second full training camp. He has rare talent in throwing the football, and "needed maturity" in the year he was drafted. Father time has added three physical years and he is obviously less of a kid.

Plus his athletic drawbacks have yielded to good coaching. His footwork is much better now, and has greatly reduced the sailing passes he used to throw, because his arm was so strong. He knows the Playbook, and needs reps, and increased final accuracy. Under coaching, he his being trained to have some "touch"on very short attempts, but that has not yet been mastered, yet. Still the improvement is evident. I know Belichick spent 4 preseasons grooming Matt Cassell before he thought Matt was ready.

Mallett is way ahead of that schedule, and could probably already do a "Matt Cassell" reprise this season; but I think he won't be fully groomed without playing, until the end of NEXT preseason.

As far as your boy is concerned, Tim should go to Canada for three or four years. Joe Kapp couldn't pass either, yet he won Grey Cups before coming to the NFL and getting the Vikes to a SB appearance. :wave:

I remember Joe Kapp. I'm pretty sure his last year was with the Pats. He sucked so bad that the Pats ended up with the number 1 pick the following year, (Jim Plunkett).

From my perspective, I'd like to see what Tebow might become if he had the same chance that Mallett has had. To be developed by good coaches over a period of time. Tim had that for a bit in Denver, but then Josh got fired and Tebow was essentially without a "rabbi" in the organization. Elway didn't draft him. Fox didn't draft him. McCoy didn't have any investment in him.

Mallet got the chance because he has a cannon of a pro arm and a ton of upside potential. What becomes of that, who knows. Tebow ain't that. And so he doesn't get that. The NFL doesn't have an equal protection clause that says incompetents get the same treatment as outstanding prospects.

But maybe Tebow would qualify for a free phone from Obama.

If that's any consolation.

Cheers, BostonTim

Joe Kapp couldn't pass either, yet he won Grey Cups before coming to the NFL and getting the Vikes to a SB appearance. :wave:

This is really a brilliant analogy and I wished I thought of it.

Tebow probably has more in common with Kapp than anyone else in "modern" football history.

Both were/are inaccurate passers who were way behind their peers in completion percentage, both got national publicity beyond their ability for off-field characteristics (Kapp was a hard-drinking Mexican who had a philosophy of "machismo"), both were alleged to have great leadership, both were guys who ran when a play broke down and were power runners would run over a tackler instead of around them.

Both now have also played exceptionally shitty football when wearing a Patriot uniform.

It took John Elway about 4-5 years to learn to read NFL defenses, and that was back when they weren't as complex. I'd question whether Tony Romo knows how to read defenses very well even after all his years as a starter.

I'm more troubled by the fact that Tebow can look right at an "NFL open" receiver and won't pull the trigger. Either it's that he doesn't recognize what is considered open in the NFL, or he's too unsure of his ability to put the ball in the right spot.

That said, both are things that can be fixed with good coaching and more reps.

You're comparing Elway coming out of college to Tebow? That's crazy. Elway was wanted by every team. Elway had some learning to do but comparing Elway to Tebow is ignorant.

I'd like to see what my son would do under BB for a few years too but I doubt BB is going to spend a lot of time on a 7 year old.

If Tebow earns a spot on the team, great but I've got to tell you, if he plays like he did in the first game, I'd rather have about a dozen guys for a 3rd string qb. Tebow looked lost when he was in a passing situation.

You're comparing Elway coming out of college to Tebow? That's crazy. Elway was wanted by every team. Elway had some learning to do but comparing Elway to Tebow is ignorant.

I'd like to see what my son would do under BB for a few years too but I doubt BB is going to spend a lot of time on a 7 year old.

If Tebow earns a spot on the team, great but I've got to tell you, if he plays like he did in the first game, I'd rather have about a dozen guys for a 3rd string qb. Tebow looked lost when he was in a passing situation.

Helps if you take into account the specific point that I was responding to. deec77 talked about Tebow not being able to read a defense. I pointed out that it took Elway, a Hall of Fame QB 4+ years to learn how to read defenses that were much easier than what QBs see today.

In other words, sometimes it takes QBs a while to learn to read defenses.

As for how Tebow looked in passing situations, it was his first game situation that came after 9 or so practices with this offense. I'll wait to pass judgment until he's had more time in the system.

Mallet got the chance because he has a cannon of a pro arm and a ton of upside potential. What becomes of that, who knows. Tebow ain't that. And so he doesn't get that. The NFL doesn't have an equal protection clause that says incompetents get the same treatment as outstanding prospects.

But maybe Tebow would qualify for a free phone from Obama.

If that's any consolation.

Cheers, BostonTim

Maybe I (and others) see a problem in the way many in the NFL rate "prospects" ? Afterall, Jamarcus Russell was a #1 pick. Ryan Leaf was a #2. Strangely, Tom Brady was #199 in the 6th round with a freaking compensatory pick. Kurt Warner went undrafted. So did Tony Romo.

As for Mallett and his cannon of a pro arm, great. That and $5 will buy a cup of coffee. Joe Montana certainly didn't have a cannon and some would argue that he didn't even have a pro arm. That didn't stop him from being one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Hell, Brady doesn't have a cannon or a particularly strong arm, but I hear that he's pretty good :)

Right here:
Hell, Brady doesn't have a cannon or a particularly strong arm, but I hear that he's pretty good :)

Is where your football credibility took a big nose dive. He might not be jeff george, but arm strength has never been a knock on Brady.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Right here:

Is where your football credibility took a big nose dive. He might not be jeff george, but arm strength has never been a knock on Brady.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Really ?

Brady draft profile:

Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ‘99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Brady excels because of his relentless attention to technique, setting himself and throwing from a solid base, driving his throws up and forward from his legs. Reading and understanding defenses, and knowing when to release and where to place the ball are skills he's constantly sharpening.

Brady reminds me a lot of Ted Williams in his preparation, and he has the same vision and awareness when analyzing the field as Ted did when judging incoming pitches.

You lose significant credibility citing a "doesn't throw a tight spiral" source from his pre-draft profile :facepalm:

I don't think so. What it shows is that some aspects of Brady's game have improved over time. His arm has gotten stronger. His release has gotten quicker. His spirals have gotten tighter. His accuracy has gotten even better. His understanding of, and ability to read defenses has improved as well.

Add all that up together and throw in Brady's intangibles and you have the best QB in the NFL.

I don't think so. What it shows is that some aspects of Brady's game have improved over time. His arm has gotten stronger. His release has gotten quicker. His spirals have gotten tighter. His accuracy has gotten even better. His understanding of, and ability to read defenses has improved as well.

Add all that up together and throw in Brady's intangibles and you have the best QB in the NFL.

Actually what it shows is that scouts make mistakes. Brady was never ever.....ever near as bad as Tebow throwing the ball...

By Brady's 4th season, he had won a Super Bowl, and was about to lead his team to a 2nd.

You guys.....if Tebow just had 12 more practices, this would be moot.

:coffee:
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually what it shows is that scouts make mistakes. Brady was never ever.....ever near as bad as Tebow throwing the ball...

Cool. Good thing no one here has said or implied that Brady was. Nice straw man btw :)

By Brady's 4th season, he had won a Super Bowl, and was about to lead his team to a 2nd.

Man, wtf is up with you all ? I didn't say that Brady wasn't good or great even at the earlier parts of his career.

That said, he has gotten even better as time has gone by and that will continue right up until he starts his downslide at some point in the future.

:spock:

Hey. Maybe he'll get those 12 practices and the clouds sill part and sunlight will bathe Gillette.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back