Miami Disaster: Gronk Wasn't Even There for the Hail Mary

Shmessy

Reaction score
This is the first vid I've seen that shows Gronk's pre-snap positioning on the last play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYg5Dcuhmtw

It shows that Gronk wasn't really in there to stop a Hail Mary TD in the first place. It makes his insertion onto the field even more batshit crazy stupid. If he wasn't even there because of his height - - then why the fuck was he there in the first place?????

He was set up on the 18 - - - why in God's name is Gronk on the 18 yard line a better option than DMac??????????????

I love BB, but after the SB 52 throw away with him trying to mudsling Butler at the expense of the franchise and its fans, he might be losing it, it might be time to get him a shrink for his Beautiful Mind.

With him you just have to experience the spectacular brilliance along with the few moments where he cackles, pulls the pin and throws the grenade at his team.

I have little doubt that if there were just about any actual defender out there in Gronk's place that the Dolphins lose that game. That being said. Meh...I'm over it.

I don't know about others, but I've moved on to Pittsburgh.

:shrug:

Ive read that the hands team was most likely in on that play because they expected a short throw then a massive hurry up for the hail mary and they wouldnt have been able to substitute.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Ive read that the hands team was most likely in on that play because they expected a short throw then a massive hurry up for the hail mary and they wouldnt have been able to substitute.

pats had timeouts left i believe

We're onto Pittsburgh.

untitled-12.jpg

Gronk is on the 18 because he isn’t experienced to defend going backwards. No he is going to run forward to the landing spot of the ball in front of him.

My god this is always done

Fail.

They were sitting on 2 timeouts.

Fail.

They were sitting on 2 timeouts.

I disagree. If they completed a 10-20 yard pass, they would have been scrambling to get the next play off. BB would have let the clock run to pressure them into a mistake (see Seahawks) knowing he had proper personnel on the field for the Hail Mary. A timeout would have benefited Miami in that situation far more than the Pats.

I disagree. If they completed a 10-20 yard pass, they would have been scrambling to get the next play off. BB would have let the clock run to pressure them into a mistake (see Seahawks) knowing he had proper personnel on the field for the Hail Mary. A timeout would have benefited Miami in that situation far more than the Pats.

They wouldn't have gotten another play off anyway if tackled inbounds, they had 7 seconds left. There's really no excuse for having Gronk on the field.

One thing I haven't heard anyone say,.......not that I want to relive that cluster f*ck,......why not use Matt Slater instead of Gronk for a Hail Mary possibility??? He's tall and can jump, like Gronk, but he can also run and tackle, UNLIKE Gronk?????

Ah this is an interesting take and makes some sense. They make a short throw out of bounds and will a second or two on the clock do a hail mary.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

One thing I haven't heard anyone say,.......not that I want to relive that cluster f*ck,......why not use Matt Slater instead of Gronk for a Hail Mary possibility??? He's tall and can jump, like Gronk, but he can also run and tackle, UNLIKE Gronk?????

this is a good point.

At the end of the day BB over thought it.

Sucks but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the end of the day BB over thought it.
This topic falls into the when-it-works-it's-genius-when-it-doesn't-it-was-stupid category. There were a lot of reasons the game was lost. The last play always sticks in everyone's mind, but after making Brandon Bolden look like a combination of Jim Brown and Barry Sanders, I'm not going to fuss over where anyone chose to stand on the last play of the game. It was a suck game with a suck ending.

Back