NFL players retiring early - statistics show alarming trend

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
We have had various discussions on different threads about NFL players retiring early and I found this chart that was posted after the Calvin Johnson retirement. It is alarming how many players have retired early the past couple of seasons with 2015 having the most.

01.png

It isn't so much alarming as it is an expected trend. The more that is learned about concussions and CTE the more guys have cause to be concerned.

But the real issue is, recent studies have shown even players who stopped playing after High School end up facing serious issues in later life with depression and other issues. By the time they get to the NFL it's already too late. So to be honest, they may as well keep playing if you look at it. It's too late for those guys, the real crisis could come if parents really put a halt on their kids taking up the sport.

It's a lot more serious than many have realised it seems.

But the real issue is, recent studies have shown even players who stopped playing after High School end up facing serious issues in later life with depression and other issues. By the time they get to the NFL it's already too late. So to be honest, they may as well keep playing if you look at it. It's too late for those guys, the real crisis could come if parents really put a halt on their kids taking up the sport.

The sooner a player stops, the better. It's never too late to stop playing since hits are additive according to the BU study. Not all NFL players suffer CTE, in fact a small %. The sooner you stop the hits the later the CTE symptoms show up.
Age 40 or 60, you decide.

I don't blame them at all...get paid, play a few years, leave early. Smart choice imo...as long as you're smart with your money decisions.

I don't blame them at all...get paid, play a few years, leave early. Smart choice imo...as long as you're smart with your money decisions.
And some of the fringe roster guys are smart enough to leave early and choose a different career path.

The concussions are cumulative The more times the higher the chance of developing CTE. Don't know who you are getting your research facts from. But if you have has a number of concussions as a high school or college player you really should consider not continuing to play. http://www.protectthebrain.org/Brain-Injury-Research/What-is-CTE-.aspx

The concussions are cumulative The more times the higher the chance of developing CTE. Don't know who you are getting your research facts from. But if you have has a number of concussions as a high school or college player you really should consider not continuing to play. http://www.protectthebrain.org/Brain-Injury-Research/What-is-CTE-.aspx

It's not only concussions. It's jarring hits that cause the brain to shuffle around inside the skull. Think of shaken baby syndrome. Just shaking hard enough causes the severe movement in the skull.

So these guys might think that because they haven't had a concussion that they're okay. They probably aren't.

It's not only concussions. It's jarring hits that cause the brain to shuffle around inside the skull. Think of shaken baby syndrome. Just shaking hard enough causes the severe movement in the skull.

So these guys might think that because they haven't had a concussion that they're okay. They probably aren't.

Right. Quite likely they all have some damage. Some level of CTE and nobody can say when it will hit them or what form it will take. Or if it will even be fully noticeable, but CTE is what you will get if you sign an NFL contract.

The thing is, the retirements will be up, but I'm going to speculate that to a solid percentage of the players it won't matter. They'll play ball and roll the dice. There will always be guys lined up out the door for a chance at an NFL paycheck (etc.).

The NFL and football won't die out because of the players. It'll be Doctors, the media, sponsors, angry Mothers and Fathers, insurers, lawyers, guns and money.

Also, I bet there's a lot of parents out there who see football as an opportunity for their whole family. Similar to how in some places joining the military, playing sports, or starting a band were something that might keep them out of the factories. I worked in a factory right next to my mother, and I realized how much I wanted no part of that shit. At all. Monday bowling league, Friday at the Moose Club, and union factory work. *shudder* I took a chance. I weighed the pros - a stable job, learn a skill, get to shoot guns and blow stuff up - versus the cons of no stable home life, constantly out of country, great bodily harm, death - and said "Sign me the **** up for that shit yesterday!" ROFL

Some individuals, and some families, will weigh the pros and cons, and the pros will win. And you know what? I'm okay with them making that decision being fully aware of the consequences. I got lucky. So will many others. Some will not. It's the roll of the dice. You might win, you might lose. But if you don't roll, you'll never hav a chance to win. :coffee:

I'm not solely focussing on CTE. It's other issues like depression and other ailments that ex HS and College footballers report which exceeds the norm.

The research facts are from Boston University and a study they did.

A group at Boston University, led by MD/PhD candidate Philip Montenigro, studied 93 men who played youth, high school and college football but who did not play pro football. The study found that in the 93 players, the impact of cumulative head trauma led to later-life depression, cognitive impairment and apathy.

Montenigro assigned a value of cumulative head impact for each season each player played, based on the position played and number of games played per season, and totaled up the number. The higher the value, the more likely a player would be to have problems later in life. The “cumulative head impact index” was calculated through a combination of the football history reported by each player, along with the impact frequency recorded by the fairly new study of “accelerometers,” helmet sensors that have recently begun to record the number and intensity of subconcussive hits to players at different levels of football. This study focused more on the subconcussive hits (those that result in significant contact to the helmet but not a concussion-causing blow) than on concussions. Recent accelerometer studies, according to Montenigro’s research, estimated that high school players average 600 subconcussive hits to the head per season, while college players average 1,000. Then, the 93 players were polled to see about their current mental health. The more subconscussive blows, the study found, the higher the chance of a brain-related malady later in life.

The report was discussed in last weeks MMQB.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/03/...e-broncos-49ers-titans-jalen-ramsey-nfl-draft

What will be interesting to monitor in the coming years is how many players like Borland retire on top of the early retirements. If guys that are rookies start retiring or worse don't enter the draft at all then the problem will become even larger.

Also, I bet there's a lot of parents out there who see football as an opportunity for their whole family. Similar to how in some places joining the military, playing sports, or starting a band were something that might keep them out of the factories. I worked in a factory right next to my mother, and I realized how much I wanted no part of that shit. At all. Monday bowling league, Friday at the Moose Club, and union factory work. *shudder* I took a chance. I weighed the pros - a stable job, learn a skill, get to shoot guns and blow stuff up - versus the cons of no stable home life, constantly out of country, great bodily harm, death - and said "Sign me the **** up for that shit yesterday!" ROFL

Some individuals, and some families, will weigh the pros and cons, and the pros will win. And you know what? I'm okay with them making that decision being fully aware of the consequences. I got lucky. So will many others. Some will not. It's the roll of the dice. You might win, you might lose. But if you don't roll, you'll never hav a chance to win. :coffee:

Sounds like a Seger song.

Right. Quite likely they all have some damage. Some level of CTE and nobody can say when it will hit them or what form it will take. Or if it will even be fully noticeable, but CTE is what you will get if you sign an NFL contract.

The thing is, the retirements will be up, but I'm going to speculate that to a solid percentage of the players it won't matter. They'll play ball and roll the dice. There will always be guys lined up out the door for a chance at an NFL paycheck (etc.).

The NFL and football won't die out because of the players. It'll be Doctors, the media, sponsors, angry Mothers and Fathers, insurers, lawyers, guns and money.

CTE is not automatic. Many people who have suffered brain trauma do not develop it. Not all that do develop it will suffer the worst as a result of CTE. Some get lucky suffering little more than some memory loss. Unfortunately I have seen first hand the results of CTE on a number of people some played sports some did not. Having seen some good kind men and women turn into angry confused people. Some end up killing themselves some kill others often members of their own family. I agree there will always be people who are willing to take that chance and fortunately in many sports the equipment has improved. It will never be perfect so long as it is a contact sport. However we need to understand that it isn't only sports. As Claremonster said people will join the military. They will work in construction, work in small cramped spaces that often result in head injuries, simply fall and hit their heads any of these things can and sometimes do lead to health problems including CTE. We are not going to be able to eliminate the issue but groups like the NFL can and should do more to care for those that suffer these kind of issues after they have played.

The long term solutions will probably remove helmets altogether thus removing the head hits and moving the sport along rugby lines with high hits eliminated entirely.

You could see more and more rugby style tackling as well. I know die heard football fans will be up in arms about that believe it would remove the core uniqueness of the sport, but remember the sport started as an offshoot to rugby with no helmets or padding. They were only introduced because of the flying wedge and Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the sport after 19 players were killed during one football season. He said make it safer or I'll outlaw it. So padding and helmets were introduced.

But the flying wedge was outlawed as well and all that helmets especially have led to is an deluded belief that heads are protected and therefore can be used as weapons.

The game will have to be changed as the research is only going one way, painting a worse and worse picture the more studies are done.

“After months of introspection, I am retiring from football. I suffered the 3rd and 4th concussions of my career this past season and I am walking away from the game I love to preserve my future health. This decision is the hardest I’ve made yet but after much research and contemplation I believe it’s what is best for me going forward.”
—Buffalo linebacker A.J. Tarpley, announcing his retirement last week at age 23.

It is these types of retirements at age 23 that will erode the game quickly if they continue to happen at a more rapid rate.

CTE is not automatic. Many people who have suffered brain trauma do not develop it. Not all that do develop it will suffer the worst as a result of CTE. Some get lucky suffering little more than some memory loss. Unfortunately I have seen first hand the results of CTE on a number of people some played sports some did not. Having seen some good kind men and women turn into angry confused people. Some end up killing themselves some kill others often members of their own family. I agree there will always be people who are willing to take that chance and fortunately in many sports the equipment has improved. It will never be perfect so long as it is a contact sport. However we need to understand that it isn't only sports. As Claremonster said people will join the military. They will work in construction, work in small cramped spaces that often result in head injuries, simply fall and hit their heads any of these things can and sometimes do lead to health problems including CTE. We are not going to be able to eliminate the issue but groups like the NFL can and should do more to care for those that suffer these kind of issues after they have played.

Should I add that not all smokers get lung cancer?

Cheers, BostonTim

The long term solutions will probably remove helmets altogether thus removing the head hits and moving the sport along rugby lines with high hits eliminated entirely.

You could see more and more rugby style tackling as well. I know die heard football fans will be up in arms about that believe it would remove the core uniqueness of the sport, but remember the sport started as an offshoot to rugby with no helmets or padding. They were only introduced because of the flying wedge and Theodore Roosevelt threatened to ban the sport after 19 players were killed during one football season. He said make it safer or I'll outlaw it. So padding and helmets were introduced.

But the flying wedge was outlawed as well and all that helmets especially have led to is an deluded belief that heads are protected and therefore can be used as weapons.

The game will have to be changed as the research is only going one way, painting a worse and worse picture the more studies are done.
+1

I have long thought this would be a great change.

Sent from my Enigma Device

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...fl-moment-as-concussions-bring-legal-scrutiny
Concussion Concerns: Is This Rugby Union’s NFL Moment?
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Millions of television viewers knew Wales winger George North had lost consciousness when he flopped to the ground after banging his head trying to stop England from scoring in their opening match of rugby’s 6 Nations tournament.
His team doctors, however, didn’t see his head strike a teammate’s or the awkward face-first collapse, his second in the 21-16 loss Feb. 6 in Cardiff. The 1.93-meter, 109-kilogram (6- foot-4, 240-pound) athlete got up and played on, only to miss the next several weeks recovering. The incident comes as rugby and other contact sports like the National Football League are focused on protecting players — bigger, faster and fitter than ever — while delivering entertainment in a crowded market.
“It’s pretty poor,” Joel Leigh, a partner at London law firm Howard Kennedy, said in an interview. “There’s always that worry that you’ve got the commercial driver of wanting the players to stay on the pitch, of wanting the game to carry on uninterrupted, and of course the players themselves who just want to play.”North’s head trauma led to a probe by the sport’s governing body. He should have come out of the match, World Rugby said, but it accepted that Wales’ medical team hadn’t seen the second incident. The ruling body is planning video replays for medics at the World Cup in September — the sport’s $900 million event in England and Wales that’s predicted to break attendance and television viewer records.
In the final round of the 6 Nations on March 21, England faces France, while Scotland plays Ireland and Italy meets Wales.
Health Concerns
Rugby is researching the long-term effects of injuries to players’ heads and necks, which can encounter forces stronger than an F-16 fighter pilot performing a roll. It’s partially protective, as the NFL, National Hockey League and other sports bodies face lawsuits from former athletes looking for compensation for disabilities.
“We don’t want to be visiting our players in 25 years to find them suffering from dementia or other neurological diseases,” Saracens Rugby Club Chief Executive Officer Edward Griffiths said.
The north London club has started a three-year project to document the physical strains players endure in practice and games.
On a rainy morning last month at Saracens’ Allianz stadium, a sports scientist was sticking a small patch behind the ears of player Hayden Smith before training. Made by Seattle-based X2 Biosystems, it contains a sensor measuring the size and direction of blows.
Sports Science
The patches are collected after each session, and the data downloaded. Concussion has become such an emotive topic, Saracens won’t say who’s conducting the research until its conclusion.
Griffiths said he hopes the study, for which he’s raised 350,000 pounds ($520,000), will give a definitive answer to when should a player be taken off with injury, and when can he resume playing? “There are protocols, but they’re all too loose and they’re all too open to judgment,” Griffiths said. “What we’re seeking is a clear, scientific measure which says, that player needs to come off the field in this time.”
Concussion was the most common injury at Premiership clubs for a third year, accounting for 12.5 percent of incidents, according to the English rugby’s governing body. English clubs reported 86 during matches and eight in training in 2013-14, a 59 percent increase from the previous year.
Bigger, Faster
Since rugby union turned professional in 1995, improved conditioning and diets as well as tackling higher up on the body instead of on the legs mean the game is more physical with more high-speed collisions.
The NFL reached a $765 million settlement with former players over concussions that was blocked in February by a federal judge, who said it should expand payment for some claims made by the more than 5,000 players who sued the NFL seeking damages for head injuries. Retirees accused the league of hiding links between repeated traumatic head impact and brain injuries such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
The NFL, whose teams use X2 technology to evaluate concussions, said it was “confident” the settlement would be approved and provide “generous benefits.”
Brain Disease
CTE, a brain disease that can cause mood swings, depression, loss of memory and irritability, can only be diagnosed after death. It was found in the autopsies of several former NFL players who committed suicide, including 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker Junior Seau in 2012.
In October, English rugby announced changes to head trauma management. Players, coaches and officials have to pass an online class, while researchers will monitor athletes returning from head injuries. Doctors will have 10 minutes instead of five to check for head trauma during matches. “It is a misconception that the protocols that exist in the elite game are not working, as the research states the opposite,” World Rugby spokesman Dominic Rumbles said. “They are enhancing the protection of players.”
Before the 2012 introduction of the temporary substitution for a head injury assessment, Rumbles said, 56 percent of players who were treated and cleared to play were later found to have concussion. Since then, that figure is down to 12 percent.
‘Lip Service’
Still, the North incident showed the sport is paying “lip service” to concussion-related issues, according to Leigh, whose firm has represented Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton and some Premier League clubs.
Rugby may be at risk of lawsuits similar to the NFL “unless sporting bodies get their heads down and actually implement properly the various mechanisms and protective measures which they have committed to undertaking,” he said.
In May, a coroner’s inquest in Dublin found that amateur Kenny Nuzum died from repeated head blows while playing for Landsdowne. Nuzum, whose family donated his brain for research, died at 57 from CTE.
Last January, New Zealand’s Shontayne Hape retired at 33 after at least 20 concussions and blackouts in his career.
Writing in the New Zealand Herald in May, Hape said coaches used “constant pressure” to keep athletes on the field, and that players would underperform on a preseason test so they’d pass it during the season if they were injured.
Doug King, a sports injury epidemiologist at the Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, measured the frequency and magnitude of head impacts suffered by 38 rugby players using mouthguards fitted with accelerometers made by X2. The work was published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine in December.
It found that rugby players sustained an average 77 hits to the head per game, while American college football players only recorded 9 to 13 in earlier studies. While the gravitational weight, or G-force, of the direct impacts to the head roughly matched that seen in college football, the rotational acceleration when the head snaps back or sideways from body collisions was significantly higher among rugby players, he found.
Risks
“There are a lot of people who say rugby is a totally different game from American football, but my findings show that the risks may actually be higher in rugby,” King said.
The risks are all part of the game for Saracens’ Smith, a 2.01-meter, 107-kilogram Australian-born American who played for the U.S. at the 2011 World Cup.
Playing as a lock “obviously involves being incredibly physical and somewhat violent,” said Smith, who also played for the NFL’s New York Jets in 2012-13. “But you’ve become probably a little desensitized to that.”
George North has a similar outlook.
“At the end of the day, it is rugby, isn’t it?,” he told reporters on Feb. 26 before his comeback against France. “It’s not table tennis, or tiddlywinks. It is a contact sport and you are going to get some bangs.”

Back