Niners are up next - Brady goes home for first time in career

We'll find a way to look like dog shit compared to them too. We always play to the skill level of the opponent

Yup...until this defense actually plays well...this will most likely be a barn burner...and Kapernick will have his best game of the year.

The Niners are 32nd in yards allowed and 32nd in points allowed. No need to bring Gronk for this game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/...back-whisperer-as-patriots-gear-up-for-49ers/

SANTA CLARA — Not long before he died, Tom Martinez took Tom Brady out for one last practice session, running him through the type of demanding drills they’d been doing since Brady was a San Mateo teenager.

Martinez was in a wheelchair and clearly struggling with his health, so Tom Brady Sr. suggested that they call it a day.

“It’s time to go home,” Brady’s father said.

“No, it’s not,” Martinez replied. “We’re not finished yet.”

Only later did the Brady family find out that Martinez, the longtime College of San Mateo coach, had battled his way out of a hospital bed to spend one of his dwindling days with his favorite pupil.

Tom Martinez died Feb. 21, 2012.

He lives on in every Tom Brady pass.

“Absolutely,” the New England quarterback said this week. “I still have notes. His voice. He was a great teacher. A great instructor. And he always got the best out of everybody.”

Brady returns to face his childhood team Sunday when the Patriots (7-2) play the 49ers (1-8) at Levi’s Stadium.

Because it’s a homecoming for the Bay Area kid, much has been made about Brady’s early love of the 49ers. But that bond is long gone, forever fractured after San Francisco snubbed him in the 2000 Draft in favor of quarterback Gio Carmazzi, a third-round pick who never threw a pass in the NFL.

“We don’t talk about the 49ers anymore,” Brady cracked on a conference call with local writers Wednesday. “That’s all we used to talk about. … We were part of the 49ers Faithful for a long time.”

The bond with the Martinez family, though, remains as strong as ever. The relationship began in 1992, when Tom Brady Sr. took his son to CSM for some pointers. The lessons never stopped. As Brady blossomed into one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, he kept Martinez close at hand. The coach became a national cult figure known as the “quarterback whisperer.”

Even after Brady won multiple Super Bowls, he continued to summon Martinez whenever he felt out of whack. That sometimes meant flying him out to Boston on short notice so the coach could find whatever microscopic flaw in Brady’s delivery was causing the trouble.

“He is a huge reason that I fell in love with the game,” Brady said. “I learned so much about how to play quarterback, and the mechanics and techniques.

“He was so committed to me. And I’m forever grateful to him and his family. He was a special man. A very special man. He touched a lot of people’s lives.”

Hired at College of San Mateo in 1974, the former San Francisco State quarterback coached women’s basketball, softball and football — becoming the first person in community college history to coach three major sports at the same time.

The school credits him with 1,100 career victories and 32 combined championships. Not one of his players, in any sport, ever experienced a losing season so long as Martinez was their head coach.

Martinez died on his 67th birthday when he suffered a heart attack during dialysis. He’d been rapidly declining from diabetes and kidney failure for about a year, and Brady launched a public plea for a kidney donation through matchingdonors.com.

These days Brady, still posts sweet Facebook messages on his late mentor’s birthday, keeps tabs on Olivia Martinez (the coach’s wife of 46 years) and stays in touch with his three children, Tom Jr., Lisa and Linda.

Tom Martinez, longtime friends and former coach of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, at the College of San Mateo's Hall of Fame induction ceremony in September 2011. (Courtesy: College of San Mateo.)
Tom Martinez at the College of San Mateo’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2011. (Courtesy: College of San Mateo.)
The Martinez family’s access remains frequent and immediate, no matter the insanity of Brady’s celebrity status. A few years ago, before the Patriots faced the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, Olivia sent the quarterback a good luck message about a half-hour before kickoff.

“I sent him a quick text so he’d see it after the game,” Olivia said. “I said, ‘Good luck, Tom Brady! The whole Martinez clan is here cheering for you.'”

Her phone pinged back immediately.

“He wrote right back and said: ‘We’re going to kick their ass.”’

Olivia howled with laughter at the memory. The prediction was a little off, but the Patriots won 28-24 as Brady threw for 328 yards and four touchdowns. He was selected as the Super Bowl MVP for the third time.

Brady heads into Sunday’s game at Levi’s Stadium fresh off his 75th career 300-yard passing game. He did so last week in a 31-24 defeat to Seattle, but Brady also stumbled a bit with an interception and a mere 66.0 passer rating.

Those are the type of games that make Olivia miss her husband even more. She was in the crowd that night, attending the game as Brady’s guest, and couldn’t help but think that the quarterback could have used a few minutes with Tom Martinez.

“As the years pass, it gets more and more painful in many ways,” she said. “I just felt like, ‘If Tom were still around, I know he’d still be working with him. He’d still be helping him out.’ I feel a loss for Tommy for that reason.”

Because he sat next to his father for so many years, Tom Martinez Jr. also watches Brady’s games with a critical eye.

Are the quarterback’s feet too far apart? Where is his release point? What angle is the front shoulder?

“As far as a pure pocket passer, I think Brady is still the most fundamentally sound quarterback that’s maybe ever played the game,” Martinez Jr. said.

“I see all of the things that my dad taught him — and taught me when I played. The footwork. The elbow. The shoulder position. All of those things Brady does on a weekly basis.”

Much more at link.

So apparently Sheard didn't make the trip either? Wtf is going on with the defense.

So apparently Sheard didn't make the trip either? Wtf is going on with the defense.

Evan Lazar ‏<s>@</s>ezlazar <small class="time"> 2m2 minutes ago </small> It doesn't seem like much, but Sheard has one of the worst net yards over average of any <s>#</s>Patriots defender.

The Pats allowed 4.1 yds per rush with Sheard on field, 3.9 without. 6.5 through the air with, 6.4 without.
4.0 yd with/3.86 yd without (1st down) 4.90 yd with/3.85 yd without (2nd down)

Healthy scratch. Apparently BB wants to see what Mingo can do. Both are FAs after this year.

Healthy scratch. Apparently BB wants to see what Mingo can do. Both are FAs after this year.

I don't like how this is going. Sheard was a bright spot on this team last year. How do you go from a bright spot to being left at home on a D that's porous? On top of shipping off Jones and Collins, sometimes BB's decisions make me shake my head...

I don't like how this is going. Sheard was a bright spot on this team last year. How do you go from a bright spot to being left at home on a D that's porous? On top of shipping off Jones and Collins, sometimes BB's decisions make me shake my head...

2009 Adalius locker room problem?

I think Sheard was of the players that benefited from the presence of Jones. I was really hoping he could step up and fill in for Jones was but he has regressed. The front line has been awful so time to give Flowers his shot to see what he can do. He played a lot vs Seattle.

From Mike R. today on Sheard

3. What has led Patriots defensive end Jabaal Sheard to surprisingly slip down the depth chart? It is a question that hasn’t been answered decisively at this point, but it reflects how the Patriots’ D remains in transition and also how some personnel hasn’t performed up to expected levels. A one-time starter whose presence was viewed as critical when the decision was made to trade Chandler Jones, Sheard played just 16 snaps against the Seahawks on Sunday, noticeably struggled at times (e.g. losing containment on the edge in the run game), and will be inactive today against the 49ers after not traveling with the club. How Sheard responds mentally to the demotion bears watching.
4. When players like Sheard don’t meet expectations, it isn’t solely on them. A big part of football is how the players are being utilized and led, and that shines a brighter spotlight on the work of defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Given the quality of personnel on defense entering the year, it is fair to expect more from the unit, and Patricia is the leader of the group. Coming off their worst defensive performance of the season against Seattle, I’m curious how Patricia responds today and also how Patriots defenders respond to him. It could be telling.
5. As for the future, Sheard is one of several players scheduled for free agency after the season, a group that includes linebacker Dont'a Hightower, cornerback Logan Ryan, safety Duron Harmon and cornerback Malcolm Butler (restricted free agency). Meanwhile, two notable players who were on that list at the start of the season -- defensive end Chandler Jones and linebacker Jamie Collins -- have been traded. Given some of the struggles on defense this season, it will lead some to explore whether the team’s lack of contract extensions for defenders is having a negative effect on morale/performance. I saw it happen in 2009 with Vince Wilfork, who was so frustrated at stagnant extension talks that he struggled to find the place mentally where he could put contract thoughts aside and lead. A leadership void was one reason that season ended in well below the team’s usual standard with a blowout loss in the wild-card round of the playoffs.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...team-captain-as-jabaal-sheard-falls-off-radar

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._patriots_defense_takes_step_forward_vs_49ers

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — While the Patriots kept the lowly 49ers from doing much damage on the scoreboard yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain, you didn’t walk away thinking Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia fixed all the problems with their beleaguered defense.

The unit still won’t scare any of the better offenses in the league based on this performance against the Niners. Given the defense is currently in a bit of a transition phase, though, this was a start.

There were several positives to take from the 30-17 victory, and given how poorly the Patriots performed against Seattle a week ago in that phase of the game, they’ll take it and continue to move forward.

“Last week we showed things we obviously needed to work on, and need to work on fast if we want to continue to win,” defensive captain and safety Devin McCourty said following the win. “We did some of those things well today, but it doesn’t matter if we don’t come back next week and put in the work and do the same thing next Sunday.”

The fact Belichick and Patricia left Jabaal Sheard, one of their best defenders from last season, at home, sent the message that the coaching staff wasn’t going to tolerate players who weren’t performing up to expected levels. We won’t know if the fire’s been lit under Sheard until he plays again, but the rest of the players seemed to start with a pretty high energy level.

They have to know Belichick isn’t afraid to bench someone during the game, leave them behind on a road trip, or ship them out of town if they don’t give their all or continually underperform.

That being said, here’s what went well.

The Patriots actually put up a decent pass rush. Last week, they didn’t get to Russell Wilson or bother him nearly enough. They did manage to hound Colin Kaepernick and create enough chaos to help the pass coverage, while also sacking him five times in the first half.

“We fed off each other. They rushed great. We loved that, and that helped us out a ton,” said cornerback Logan Ryan of the guys up front. “I think the coverage was pretty good, as well. It was tough just trying to shadow those receivers in that messy weather.”

They tried some new wrinkles. Patrick Chung charging in on a safety blitz got Kaepernick down once; Malcolm Butler got him down another time during the opening drive.

The sacks also came at significant points. Dont’a Hightower buried Kaepernick on a third-and-goal from the 6, sending him back for an 8-yard loss to force a field goal in the first quarter.

Rob Ninkovich and Kyle Van Noy registered the other sacks. With the pressure coming from all sides, Kaepernick either had to tuck it down and run, or eat the football.

“They did a great job up front. It’s just been so tough, these quarterbacks that can move around, and get outside the pocket,” said McCourty. “So at times, it looks like there’s no pass rush, and at times, it looks like there’s a great pass rush, and they break a tackle and move around, so we’ve had some quarterbacks that are tough to contain. But guys are working hard and getting after it. We’re trying to match the coverage with the rush, and today, we had times when we did it really well, and it showed up. We just have to keep doing that.”

Essentially, Butler, Ryan and Eric Rowe handled the 49ers receivers, with Ryan getting a full dose of Jeremy Kerley, who has hurt the Pats in the past. The two Niners who did the most damage yesterday were tight end Vance McDonald (three catches, 46 yards, TD) and running back Shaun Draughn (three catches, 43 yards, TD), so they’re still having some issues with linebackers dropping into coverage.

McCourty is a big believer that if you make plays, you can sustain energy and momentum as a defense. To a degree, the Pats did that, as the Niners only converted 5-of-14 third-down opportunities.

“You’ve got to make plays. We came out early with energy, but it doesn’t matter how much energy you have in pregame and the kickoff. You have to make plays,” said McCourty, “and guys stepped up and made plays. We got off the field. I think you can build off that. When you have success defensively, it just builds momentum. Every part of the game is like that, you got to keep doing good things to keep the energy level high.”

The Pats also made adjustments at halftime, not allowing the upset-minded hosts to creep back into the game.

The Niners, much like the Seahawks, seemed to be targeting rookie linebacker Elandon Roberts both in the run and passing game. There was a sequence in the second quarter where Kaepernick eluded him for a 17-yard gain, immediately followed by Roberts being unable to stay with tight end Garrett Celek on a 19-yard reception.

A switch was made to Van Noy, who held up pretty well during the second half.

The Pats did have some trouble stopping running back Carlos Hyde. They were blown off the line of scrimmage at different points in the first half, with Hyde gaining 55 yards on 11 carries. He finished the game with 86 yards on 19 carries, so the Pats made adjustments and buckled down to make the stops.

“Our mentality was just to come out and execute, and I think we executed well,” said Ryan. “The pass rush was great, and the coverage was married up with that. So a lot of guys took the challenge that was brought upon us, and played this offense pretty well. It wasn’t perfect, obviously, but I just think guys went out there, and tried to get a win.”

It’s a start, but a lot remains unsettled, as Belichick and Patricia mix and match and see what’s going to work best for the long haul.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._patriots_defense_takes_step_forward_vs_49ers

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — While the Patriots kept the lowly 49ers from doing much damage on the scoreboard yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain, you didn’t walk away thinking Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia fixed all the problems with their beleaguered defense.

The unit still won’t scare any of the better offenses in the league based on this performance against the Niners. Given the defense is currently in a bit of a transition phase, though, this was a start.

There were several positives to take from the 30-17 victory, and given how poorly the Patriots performed against Seattle a week ago in that phase of the game, they’ll take it and continue to move forward.

“Last week we showed things we obviously needed to work on, and need to work on fast if we want to continue to win,” defensive captain and safety Devin McCourty said following the win. “We did some of those things well today, but it doesn’t matter if we don’t come back next week and put in the work and do the same thing next Sunday.”

The fact Belichick and Patricia left Jabaal Sheard, one of their best defenders from last season, at home, sent the message that the coaching staff wasn’t going to tolerate players who weren’t performing up to expected levels. We won’t know if the fire’s been lit under Sheard until he plays again, but the rest of the players seemed to start with a pretty high energy level.

They have to know Belichick isn’t afraid to bench someone during the game, leave them behind on a road trip, or ship them out of town if they don’t give their all or continually underperform.

That being said, here’s what went well.

The Patriots actually put up a decent pass rush. Last week, they didn’t get to Russell Wilson or bother him nearly enough. They did manage to hound Colin Kaepernick and create enough chaos to help the pass coverage, while also sacking him five times in the first half.

“We fed off each other. They rushed great. We loved that, and that helped us out a ton,” said cornerback Logan Ryan of the guys up front. “I think the coverage was pretty good, as well. It was tough just trying to shadow those receivers in that messy weather.”

They tried some new wrinkles. Patrick Chung charging in on a safety blitz got Kaepernick down once; Malcolm Butler got him down another time during the opening drive.

The sacks also came at significant points. Dont’a Hightower buried Kaepernick on a third-and-goal from the 6, sending him back for an 8-yard loss to force a field goal in the first quarter.

Rob Ninkovich and Kyle Van Noy registered the other sacks. With the pressure coming from all sides, Kaepernick either had to tuck it down and run, or eat the football.

“They did a great job up front. It’s just been so tough, these quarterbacks that can move around, and get outside the pocket,” said McCourty. “So at times, it looks like there’s no pass rush, and at times, it looks like there’s a great pass rush, and they break a tackle and move around, so we’ve had some quarterbacks that are tough to contain. But guys are working hard and getting after it. We’re trying to match the coverage with the rush, and today, we had times when we did it really well, and it showed up. We just have to keep doing that.”

Essentially, Butler, Ryan and Eric Rowe handled the 49ers receivers, with Ryan getting a full dose of Jeremy Kerley, who has hurt the Pats in the past. The two Niners who did the most damage yesterday were tight end Vance McDonald (three catches, 46 yards, TD) and running back Shaun Draughn (three catches, 43 yards, TD), so they’re still having some issues with linebackers dropping into coverage.

McCourty is a big believer that if you make plays, you can sustain energy and momentum as a defense. To a degree, the Pats did that, as the Niners only converted 5-of-14 third-down opportunities.

“You’ve got to make plays. We came out early with energy, but it doesn’t matter how much energy you have in pregame and the kickoff. You have to make plays,” said McCourty, “and guys stepped up and made plays. We got off the field. I think you can build off that. When you have success defensively, it just builds momentum. Every part of the game is like that, you got to keep doing good things to keep the energy level high.”

The Pats also made adjustments at halftime, not allowing the upset-minded hosts to creep back into the game.

The Niners, much like the Seahawks, seemed to be targeting rookie linebacker Elandon Roberts both in the run and passing game. There was a sequence in the second quarter where Kaepernick eluded him for a 17-yard gain, immediately followed by Roberts being unable to stay with tight end Garrett Celek on a 19-yard reception.

A switch was made to Van Noy, who held up pretty well during the second half.

The Pats did have some trouble stopping running back Carlos Hyde. They were blown off the line of scrimmage at different points in the first half, with Hyde gaining 55 yards on 11 carries. He finished the game with 86 yards on 19 carries, so the Pats made adjustments and buckled down to make the stops.

“Our mentality was just to come out and execute, and I think we executed well,” said Ryan. “The pass rush was great, and the coverage was married up with that. So a lot of guys took the challenge that was brought upon us, and played this offense pretty well. It wasn’t perfect, obviously, but I just think guys went out there, and tried to get a win.”

It’s a start, but a lot remains unsettled, as Belichick and Patricia mix and match and see what’s going to work best for the long haul.

I also thought the D played with more intensity than I've seen in a while. Elandon Roberts looked a bit lost but Van Noy played like the veteran he is. We may see a lot more Van Noy in the future.

Was nice to see some QB pressure and sacks. The big plays and lack of turnovers is still alarming though.

Back