Official Game Thread, AFC Championship, Patriots at Broncos

Ugh, I hadn't seen that till now. I think I'm gonna be sick.

i know.....

Look, Tom has bailed us out of more dire situations than any QB has ever done for any team in the history of the NFL. He doesn't have to apologise to anyone. This was just a bad error, it happens, he's human.

I recall Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Jay Cutler missing wide open players on the goal line in game tieing/winning situations this season. It happens. I'm not even mad because I doubt we'd win in overtime anyways considering how bad the defense has been in OT.

Maybe TB could have bought some more time by scrambling out of the pocket like that more during the game, since it was instant pressure otherwise.

I kept hoping to see the play from the Baltimore game last year where TB runs right, throws the ball to Edelman on the left side of the backfield, and Edelman throws it downfield. I would have loved to see some trickeration like that to put Denver off balance, but it was maybe next to impossible with it being too loud to call audibles.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

I recall Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, and Jay Cutler missing wide open players on the goal line in game tieing/winning situations this season. It happens. I'm not even mad because I doubt we'd win in overtime anyways considering how bad the defense has been in OT.

Our D was dominant in the 2nd half yesterday and the Pats were able to move the ball more after 2 of Denver's defensive backs went out in the 4th quarter. I liked our chances in OT, if we'd gotten the conversion.

You never know what Denver's play calling would have been like if we had cut the lead to less than 8 points. With that lead, they were taking no chances, probably thinking we could not score a TD and two point conversion. They were almost exclusively running the ball on early downs the entire second half after taking the 8 point lead. If we had been able to cut the score, their play calling may have resulted in some first down passes, which might have been good for us, or maybe bad. We will never know.

That 2-point conversion was really a one-read deal...not unlike the INT Wilson threw last year.

Gronk was open in the still photo, but watching it through, the safety closes fast. Brady would have had to lead him perfectly, even if he had time to survey a 2nd or 3rd option, which he didn't.

Even though it was an off game for Brady overall, I think it adds a bit to his legend. I can't remember seeing any QB get hit that much & that hard. He is one tough player, and still played his best when it counted.

That 2-point conversion was really a one-read deal...not unlike the INT Wilson threw last year.

Gronk was open in the still photo, but watching it through, the safety closes fast. Brady would have had to lead him perfectly, even if he had time to survey a 2nd or 3rd option, which he didn't.

Even though it was an off game for Brady overall, I think it adds a bit to his legend. I can't remember seeing any QB get hit that much & that hard. He is one tough player, and still played his best when it counted.

I also did not like the play design to have him roll right as that cuts the field in half and he is not as accurate throwing on the run. But I suppose they wanted to give him some time given how quick the rush was getting there.

Good lord....I just watched NFL Network, they were talking about that 2 point conversion. And they're right to be shocked. Brady basically missed a lay-up....I hadn't seen this since the game, too painful to watch. But Tom had Gronk who was one on one and then free running to the corner as Tom was rolling to his right. As wide open as you could ever hope, yet he threw to Jules.

That was very bad from Tom it has to be said.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-25%20at%2020.56.58_zpsrjowoclu.png

If it were Peyton Manning you would breaking out the lol he choked stuff.

So I guess that play was a major choke job.

Josh Kline failed miserabley on that 2 point conversion. Absolutely pathetic display by him...I f he did his job maybe Tom would have time to see Gronk, but IMO Tom thought the best play was for julian to cut between two defenders.

If it were Peyton Manning you would breaking out the lol he choked stuff.

So I guess that play was a major choke job.

Roberto said:
"That was very bad from Tom".

We're not excusing the fact he messed up.

So, what's your point? We'd be laughing when we said the same thing about an opponent who is a big rival? Umm, yeah of course we would.

What happened to you dude, seriously? You used to be a good poster and I thought a decent person. All you've done for awhile now is troll our board. I sure hope whatever is making you want to behave like this is resolved soon for your sake.

Hind sight is 20/20. But at the time, how many of us had any confidence that the Pats could get back into scoring position again. One way or another, they needed to get into the end zone and they had sniffed it since the turnover in the 1st quarter. As was already stated, in the moment, I had no issue with the decision.

Absolutely!

They needed a TD...No guarantee that they would get another chance to keep a drive alive, that deep in Broncos territory, with a 4th and 1. People who take the position that they would have been better off kicking the FG because they could later score another TD seem to forget that they could have scored the TD, then missed the 2-point conversion and THEN come back with a later FG....a much easier road than trying to come up with a long TD drive!

Sorry, guys, do the math. Bill made the correct decision.

A "choke" would have been Tom missing Gronk on the huge 4th down conversion, or the TD to Gronk at the death which was thrown perfectly.

Despite him being hit, pummelled in that game more than any other QB in the league in a single game this season, he still clawed the team back, astonishingly, to potentially tie the game at the death against ALL the odds.

After everything Tom Brady has done for this team, he's allowed a mess up every now and then like this.

Good lord....I just watched NFL Network, they were talking about that 2 point conversion. And they're right to be shocked. Brady basically missed a lay-up....I hadn't seen this since the game, too painful to watch. But Tom had Gronk who was one on one and then free running to the corner as Tom was rolling to his right. As wide open as you could ever hope, yet he threw to Jules.

That was very bad from Tom it has to be said.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-25%20at%2020.56.58_zpsrjowoclu.png

Watching the play again - it doesn't matter. There is two guys on White in the flat, and one of them can leave and cover Gronk as soon as that ball is thrown.

The commentary by Ballinger is kind of dumb - because in the frame he's freezing, Edelman is single covered, just as Gronk is. A man leaves White once Brady winds up - just as they could've done for Gronk. I wouldn't sweat the freeze frame.

Also - the real reason that play failed, note 3 Patriot OL chasing 3 Denver DL. Just pathetic.

Still depressed. But that play isn't all on Brady.

Rather than roll him out - I'm curious why they didn't try a quick strike or even the game winner to Jules in the SB. That play seems very hard to defend.

Are sidelines still only allowed to see still photos during the game? How dumb is that? Stupid beat writers can replay things in slow-mo on their DVR and spot the Stork tell, which probably single-handedly lost us the game, and the coaches don't have the opportunity too?

Sorry, that's dumb. It's an archaic rule and its stupid.

Are sidelines still only allowed to see still photos during the game? How dumb is that? Stupid beat writers can replay things in slow-mo on their DVR and spot the Stork tell, which probably single-handedly lost us the game, and the coaches don't have the opportunity too?

Sorry, that's dumb. It's an archaic rule and its stupid.

no,its so you cant investigate how its staged and see players purposely playing dumb

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...els-new-england-patriots-trick-play/79322784/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – As the final seconds ticked off the clock before halftime of Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, CBS’ cameras caught a shot of Denver Broncos tight end Owen Daniels looking bewildered on the sideline.

Daniels, who had caught two touchdowns in the first half to help Denver build a 17-9 lead, was pointing at something with his right hand, and looking around with his mouth wide open as both teams began jogging to their respective locker rooms.

It was an odd moment, sure, but one that deserved an explanation.

But the explanation Daniels provided on Monday was even better than we could have imagined.

Daniels said that as he watched Patriots quarterback Tom Brady take a knee and saw his defensive teammates start to head off the field, he thought back to a trick play his old team, the Baltimore Ravens, had drawn up for a similar situation before a playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers last year.

In that case, Daniels said, if the Ravens had the ball with a few seconds left before halftime, they would try to fake taking a knee and hope to catch the Steelers jogging toward the tunnel that is behind their bench. That situation never transpired, but Daniels couldn’t help but think that maybe Brady and Co. would have some trick of their own ready.

“I wouldn’t put it past them because we tried to do that same thing. That was what I was looking at. I know that’s kind of out there, but hey, crazier stuff has happened,” Daniels said.

Imagine...a deceptive play devised by the Ravens. Too bad NE didn't attempt it.

Back