OT My Brother

NCPATRIOT

Reaction score
Some of you already know my brother is approaching his 3rd deployment. (1st to Afghanistan-been to Iraq twice). He has a 2 year old son and a 6 month old daughter..new house, Been married a little over a year.. He is leaving the begining of January. He found out Monday after being told originally that they were going to be in a secure spot that he is now going to be in one of the worse one's. That's pretty much all he can tell us and all I can share right now. I wanted to ask that you all keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
For those of you that knew he was flying out yesterday-wanted you to know he made it to WI safe. He will be there until 2 days before Christmas and then leave somewhere around the 1st of the year.
It's a very hard time again for my family and worse this time around. We continue to keep our heads up as we are very proud of my brother. It's just tough anytime we face a deployment.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please remember our Vets today-and every day.

I would be honored to have a child in the service, but I would have a hard time letting them go.

Your brother and you and the rest of the family are in my prayers.

I'm sorry for what your family is going through right now. Your brother has my respect and gratitude for what he is doing. Good luck to him and I will keep him in my thoughts.

Best of luck to your Brother on this current deployment, thoughts with your family also, hoping for a speedy and safe return for everyone serving overseas

It's never what they say. My best friends sister just got back from her third tour and will be returning for her fourth in 3 months.:sulk: She was only supposed to go once.

Best of luck to your brother and family.

NC, we all owe a debt of gratitude to your brother, all the other troops and veterans.

I heard this report on NPR yesterday morning.

But shipyard struggles and energy policy, its all of little concern to most young Poles, such as 26-year-old waitress Ewelina Ostas. Shes part of a new generation of Poles embracing what she calls the good life and experiences her parents' generation never knew.

Ms. EWELINA OSTAS (Waitress): We can travel, we can meet new people, we can explore, we can enjoy life. After work, we're trying to have fun with our friends, to have fun.

WESTERVELT: Ostas moved to Warsaw from a small town seven years ago. She works in a hip restaurant and club today in Warsaw and enjoys her free time in ways her parents' generation could only imagine. She says her mom and dad well remember life under communism and martial law, with its deprivation, fear, dreary state-run TV and nightly curfew.

Ms. OSTA: We have cultural places. We can have our free time to spend on, when my parents told me they hadn't such things. They couldn't go out after 22 after 10:00. So people in my age, we can live more free. We can enjoy our life, not live in fear.

WESTERVELT: It's all a far cry from the rough and tumble of shipyard labor protests, the long slog for basic freedoms started by Solidarity. Just 20 years after strikes and street protests eventually led to secret negotiations with the communists and a peaceful transfer of power, the revolution for this new generation of Poles seems like ancient history.

Mr. MICHAL BRONIATOWSKI (Businessman): They have Internet given for granted, they have iPhones given for granted. Why should they bother about what happened years ago?

WESTERVELT: Michal Broniatowski is a former reporter who was close to the Solidarity leadership. He covered the revolution and today is a media entrepreneur and businessman.

Broniatowski says hes heartened that his kids are growing up with the banality of normalcy.

Mr. BRONIATOWSKI: My daughter is constantly asking me about what was going on then, and she is very keen to listen. But of course they cannot understand the life under communism because nobody can understand it. It was so stupid. And it's the problem of their parents, who sometimes tell them funny stories about empty shops. It's a funny story for them, but they are just normal young generation, same as any other generation in the U.S. and Western Europe. And I'm very, very happy to see that. Im very happy that my kids are living in such environment.

It's worth listening to the audio, to hear the emotion in Mr Broniatowski's voice. He's in one sense frustrated with how his kids are being just like kids here with all their juvenile behavior and sense that they deserve all these things and yet absolutely thrilled that things have changed so much that they can actually behave that way.

The vast majority of Americans are like Mr Broniatowski's kids, they take the benefits of a free society for granted and rarely if ever stop to think how it is that they enjoy such things.

Sometimes we can all benefit from individuals with the perspective of Mr Broniatowski, since they help us understand that these things are not a given, but require the actions and sacrifices of people to obtain and protect these freedoms.

People like your brother.

Keeping NC's bro and Mikie's cousin in my prayers, along with the rest of our service members.

One of my daughter's friends ships out then, too. Will be his first tour. Going to Afhanistan, and he's scared as hell!

Please thank them for me from one grateful vet to another,who knows the feeling of being sent to a hostile enviroments 2 times.

It was many years ago, and I did not fully appreciate then how diffiicult it was on my family and loved ones left behind. I know it was harder on them as it was on me.

Thanks again to you all. I will be sure to let my brother knows he has people backing him. It means alot to all of us!!

Back