OT - RIP Jim McKay

WisColtFan7

Oh, you didn't know?
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3430672

Jim McKay, 86, a longtime television sports journalist, has died of natural causes in Maryland, according to a statement from the McKay family.

McKay is best known for hosting ABC's "Wide World of Sports" and 12 Olympic Games.

McKay won numerous awards for journalism, including two Emmys and the George Polk Award for his sports and news coverage of the 1972 Munich Olympics.

In 1988, McKay was inducted into the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame

One of the true greats in the field, and appropriate that its on a weekend of a Triple Crown race, having watched him host so many of them over the years. Who can also forget those comforting words "Spanning the globe, to bring you the constant variety of sports....."

Just saw this on ESPN...RIP. So sad...

There was a time when "Wide World of Sports" was the only sports on TV. Jim McKay was a regular in many living rooms on Sautrday afternoons.

RIP

There was a time when "Wide World of Sports" was the only sports on TV. Jim McKay was a regular in many living rooms on Sautrday afternoons.

RIP

I wondered where he was jsut recently after watching aDVD he hosted in a book I was given as a gift called "It's Not Over Til the Fat Lady Sings". RIP

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat......

R.I.P. Jim, I loved Wide World of Sports as kid.

Always watched Wide World when I was a kid. Some of those events were X games before X games were even a thought. He was the Indy 500. He was the Olympics. There will never be another like him. ESPN probably has 250 employees doing jobs that Mr. McKay did himself. I was only 7 but I will never forget him broadcasting the tragic & frightening events during the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich. He was more than just a man inside the tv. He was a family member. RIP Mr. McKay.

I thought it was very creepy when he'd drool over those prepubescent gymnasts.

Oh, well...Rest in Peace, Jim McKay. May your heaven be filled with pigtails and camel toes.

The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat......

When I heard the news yesterday that was the first thought that came into my head. I can remember that from when I was a little kid (even though I think the show was mainly on in the '60s and '70s.) I didn't realize right away, though, that it was McKay who broke the story about the death of the athletes at Munich.

This next thing is crazy. On BSPN Radio, they were talking about how Jim McKay's son, Sean McManus (the family's real last name), is a high-up exec in sports programming with the major networks. One time he wanted to hire his dad for something (I think it was for CBS but don't recall exactly). Anyway, Jim McKay's wife was also his agent, so they held negotiations - a man negotiating with his mother to hire his father. That's crazy.

Back