Patriots pick T Joe Thuney of North Carolina State at No. 78.

ChQb4JyWYAEgBdx.jpg:large

i burst into tears when i saw him open his jacket. even better, troy vincent smirking onstage with him when he did it.

Thuney is quick. Wonder if there will be another quick type OL chosen.

Were the recent past picks a Googs thing or bad experiment????

Heck I don't even know what position they want him at.

Going back to the good feet, 6-4 310 lbs Matt Light Logan Mankins lineman.

Best pick of the night from my pov although no one, NO ONE, thought BB would draft a guard this highly.

Best pick of the night from my pov although no one, NO ONE, thought BB would draft a guard this highly.

Tells me the two rookies may be an issue. Shaq's knees may be a big issue. Add in the Arizona trade and that is 4 guards plus Wendel and Stork if Andrews plays center

Tells me the two rookies may be an issue. Shaq's knees may be a big issue. Add in the Arizona trade and that is 4 guards plus Wendel and Stork if Andrews plays center

Me too. 1 of them anyway.

Thuney is quick. Wonder if there will be another quick type OL chosen.

Were the recent past picks a Googs thing or bad experiment????

Heck I don't even know what position they want him at.

I would definitely say a Googs thing. I think we're back to drafting dancing bears for a ZBS. Fortunately, I think Stork*, Shaq Mason and especially Andrews will fit that just fine. Tre Jackson, maybe not so much.

*assuming Stork doesn't have to retire early due to concussions.

Ewwww, I didn't realize Mason's knees were an issue. :(

I know it's not a sexy pick but, it's hard not to get excited about this possibilities that this Thuney kid offers up. He seems like a prototypical Pats OL.

15 (78) New England Patriots: Joe Thuney | Grade: A

(Pick acquired in trade with New Orleans Saints)
One of our favorite players, Thuney was a top-20 guard in 2014 and our No. 5 graded offensive tackle in 2015. He’s more likely a guard at the next level, but he’s shown that he’s more than capable of playing all over the line, using his strong hands to lock onto blocks in the run game (+24.1 run grade ranked fourth in the class). Thuney adds even more versatility to the Patriots offensive line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...ft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-day-2/

This should be interesting too see who makes the team. I read reports about tre jackson bad knees . Scar has his work cut out for him this year. Brady got hit a lot last year. They couldn't found a o-line grouping that worked.

I just watched a film of Thuney playing LT for NC State vs. a very good Louisville DL.

FWIW, you can see why he doesn't give up a lot of sacks. He ain't a heavy-legged waist-bender. He gets out of his unusually upright stance very quickly and his kick-slide is textbook. I was impressed with his ability to mirror. Nobody got outside on him, but I couldn't find a hell of a lot of stuff to watch, but he was excellent in that one.

He isn't that big, but he showed me the ability to move large guys backwards on running plays and also that he has a knack for positioning himself to hook or screen guys out with those feet. He appears well-coached.

He does remind me of Matt Light, but I don't think Matt Light's feet were quite as good as this guy.

You'd think Thuney'd be vulnerable to bull rushes, but Light was almost identical in size and he never got bulled for some reason. Thuney is stronger than he looks. Another reason he reminded me of Light.

Thuney doesn't seem to get thrown around like Jordan Devey, Klein or some of the other young guys we've had. Good core strength, I guess.

For this season my guess is that the staff will see if he can handle the swing tackle for now and bye-bye Marcus Cannon, but he doesn't strike me as a career backup or somebody who will need a year on the bench in order to contribute. He can play.

I just watched a film of Thuney playing LT for NC State vs. a very good Louisville DL.

FWIW, you can see why he doesn't give up a lot of sacks. He ain't a heavy-legged waist-bender. He gets out of his unusually upright stance very quickly and his kick-slide is textbook. I was impressed with his ability to mirror. Nobody got outside on him, but I couldn't find a hell of a lot of stuff to watch, but he was excellent in that one.

He isn't that big, but he showed me the ability to move large guys backwards on running plays and also that he has a knack for positioning himself to hook or screen guys out with those feet. He appears well-coached.

He does remind me of Matt Light, but I don't think Matt Light's feet were quite as good as this guy.

You'd think Thuney'd be vulnerable to bull rushes, but Light was almost identical in size and he never got bulled for some reason. Thuney is stronger than he looks. Another reason he reminded me of Light.

Thuney doesn't seem to get thrown around like Jordan Devey, Klein or some of the other young guys we've had. Good core strength, I guess.

For this season my guess is that the staff will see if he can handle the swing tackle for now and bye-bye Marcus Cannon, but he doesn't strike me as a career backup or somebody who will need a year on the bench in order to contribute. He can play.

Patty*

Back