Patriots sell-out streak still alive?

EasyBigFella

Got 6? YUP
Reaction score
Is the sell out streak still alive at Gillette? I don't think so. They used to prop it on the scoreboard during games, last week, my brother and three of his friends walked up to the ticket booth at noon before the Bills game and bought tickets together in the balcony. Anyone know when/if it ended?

I know the stadium wasn't full for the playoff game against Baltimore.

Not just empty seats here and there. There were some significant areas of empty blue seats in the upper deck.

The games have all been at least technically sold out for many years and that hasn't changed since there have been no TV blackouts. But certainly much of last year and this year there have been plenty of empty seats.

Our fanbase is so jaded now.

The games have all been at least technically sold out for many years and that hasn't changed since there have been no TV blackouts. But certainly much of last year and this year there have been plenty of empty seats.

Our fanbase is so jaded now.

And if there is a strike in the NFL it could kill the pro sport, they also need to lower prices in this economy

They been sold out since 1994. Balcony seats? you mean the standing room stuff? Just because the seats are empty does not mean they aren't sold. The prices are pretty crazy though. Its crazy. Its cheaper to buy a plane ticket and fly down to miami and buy an away game ticket and it will save you more money than going to the games here.

Sucks if you want good seats you got to pay like 300-400 per person.

I know the stadium wasn't full for the playoff game against Baltimore.

Not just empty seats here and there. There were some significant areas of empty blue seats in the upper deck.

i wasnt at the game, but wasn't there huge problem with getting into the stadium at the beginning of the game? The gates were seriously undermanned and there was a huge wait to get in? and people problem were filing out at the end of the first quarter anyway to beat the traffic

i wasnt at the game, but wasn't there huge problem with getting into the stadium at the beginning of the game? The gates were seriously undermanned and there was a huge wait to get in? and people problem were filing out at the end of the first quarter anyway to beat the traffic

That wouldn't explain the contiguous areas of empty seats.

I'm not saying entire sections were empty, but there were a number of areas where 2 or 3 rowswere entirely empty for the whole game.

Not standing room. Sections near the back of the highest deck.

In addition, there were more visiting fans at that game than any other game I've been to. It was especially noticeable in the tailgating lots before the game.

There were tickets available at the box office at game time.

I had heard that there was a fairly large number of season ticket holders that chose not to purchase the playoff tickets. I'm not sure if they automatically forfeit their season tickets if they don't purchase the playoff tickets, but apparently there was also a large number of season ticket holders that chose not to renew this year.

And if there is a strike in the NFL it could kill the pro sport, they also need to lower prices in this economy

Agreed Baseball, Basketball took a while to get over there lockouts. In this economy fans do not want to see players or owners going on strike because they want More money. I could only afford to go to Four games. GO to Two and take a Vaction in NOV to see my sister IN florida and then My best friend In OHio.

I had heard that there was a fairly large number of season ticket holders that chose not to purchase the playoff tickets. I'm not sure if they automatically forfeit their season tickets if they don't purchase the playoff tickets, but apparently there was also a large number of season ticket holders that chose not to renew this year.

No, you do not forfeit the tickets if you choose not to buy the playoff games.

The sellout streak is still alive. The tickets available on ticketmaster and at the gate are those put up by the season ticket holders through the resell program. However, the season ticket holder only gets a refund if the tickets are sold. If the tickets are not sold, they still eat the cost.

It costs over $100 for pre season games. Like wtf? half the stadium is empty. Shit should be like $25 dollers. Or free..

No, you do not forfeit the tickets if you choose not to buy the playoff games.

The sellout streak is still alive. The tickets available on ticketmaster and at the gate are those put up by the season ticket holders through the resell program. However, the season ticket holder only gets a refund if the tickets are sold. If the tickets are not sold, they still eat the cost.

But, Bid, this was a playoff game. If the season ticket holder wasn't going to attend the game, he wouldn't have purchased the playoff tickets. As you pointed out, they are not required to do so in order to keep their season tickets
It just doesn't make sense that that many season ticket holders decided to purchase the playoff package, and then either decide not to attend, or returned the seats to be resold.

And why would so many of these seats be in large, contiguous blocks? In the past, I've seen scattered little patches of empty seats (and of course the usual sea of empty red club seats after halftime. But never large groups of empty seats together like that.
Besides, aren't the tickets resold through their program supposed to be available only to people on the waiting list? For the playoff game, those tickets were available on Ticketmaster to anyone. There were many available, in groups of 2, 4 or more right up until gametime.

I know some guys that had season tickets for a number of years. They were seriously considering not renewing for 2010.
They got the tab for the 2009 playoff package, and were required to come up with the $$ for the max possible number of home games (3?). They were also told that tickets for any unplayed games would not be refunded. The amount would be credited on the next seasons bill.

These guys felt that if they decided to not renew in 2010, they'd never see the $$$ from those unplayed games. So they decided not to purchase the playoff package; and to drop their season tickets altogether.

I'd bet that there were others who decided not to purchase the playoff package for the same reason. When the team had a good chance to go to the Superbowl, they could get away with this. But last year, no one felt there was much of a chance that the Pats would have > 1 home playoff game. It's kind of a ripoff to be forced to pay big $$$ for games that in all likelihood would not be played. And then not even being able to get a refund.

The regular season games were sold out. But that playoff game was not.

Perhaps Kraft and/or CBS 4 bought them to prevent the blackout. In which case, it would really be a stretch to call it a sellout.

They been sold out since 1994. Balcony seats? you mean the standing room stuff? Just because the seats are empty does not mean they aren't sold. The prices are pretty crazy though. Its crazy. Its cheaper to buy a plane ticket and fly down to miami and buy an away game ticket and it will save you more money than going to the games here.

Sucks if you want good seats you got to pay like 300-400 per person.

In the corner sections of the balcony, the last 5 or so rows were completely empty vs. Cincinnati and there were many empty seats together in the balcony for Buffalo. There is no way that stadium is totally sold out anymore.

My friends I tailgate with each game haven't been to their seats in the 300 level since Gilette opened. Not once. They hang in the south enzone promanade and get hammered off those 20 oz. Hieneken drafts. I bet others have never been up there either
Posted via Mobile Device

The economy is pretty rough and I know for sure that some of the guys I tailgate with have skipped games due to unemployment, having to work Sundays to make ends meet and other reasons.
Some of them passed on their playoff tickets last year just because it was a choice between Christmas presents for the kids or playoffs.
Empty seats are just a result of hard times for a lot of folks. Has nothing to do with whether the fan base is loyal or anything.

The economy is pretty rough and I know for sure that some of the guys I tailgate with have skipped games due to unemployment, having to work Sundays to make ends meet and other reasons.
Some of them passed on their playoff tickets last year just because it was a choice between Christmas presents for the kids or playoffs.
Empty seats are just a result of hard times for a lot of folks. Has nothing to do with whether the fan base is loyal or anything.

I think you're right although the demand for those seats will undoubtedly have dropped due to the bandwaggoners dropping out (and making excuses for not attending games). The cost of tickets is a bigger issue because people have quite rightly had enough of paying so much. Most people aren't on the sort of money where they can keep doing this.

The NFL has pissed quite a lot of people off over here with ticket prices. I've been to the first three Wembley games, but am not bothering this year because the prices are ridiculous. I agree with the general sentiment that a strike could be really bad for the NFL. Part of me (a small part) thinks it's the bloody nose they need.

I don't think Pats fans are shitty.

The negatives are well known.

But:

- going to and from that Stadium is horrendous

- football on 50 inch plus HD TV is freaking awesome

- the Krafts inflicted a stadium on us that loses noise at a ridiculous rate so it's very hard to feel like you're impacting the game or a part of things

- the upper seats are so freaking far away from the action

- the prices are insane

- the economy blows

- the team is realistically not a SB contender after having been one for years...and yes, of course, I'd give your left nut for me to be wrong about this one...and probably even my own

Yeah, it's fashionable to kill Pats fans but I'm not sure that the wicked brew described above would be withstood much better by fans in other areas. I went to MANY games at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro/Gillette over the years...and I think the real Pats fans rock it hard. I just think that the combo that has been dealt to them sucks.

And the Krafts don't phucking see what they've done with that place. And I haven't even mentioned the abortion that is the Fidelity section (as it relates to the overall experience at the stadium and crowd noise).

Going to the games there is a nightmare. I gave up my tickets after 16 years at the end of the '07 season. Granted my reason was mostly financial, but i was honestly considering giving em up anyways since the experience had deteriorated so badly. Once that mall went up it became a no brainer.

Don't get me wrong, once in the game I always had a blast. But getting to my seats and getting home after the game was a real drag. Can't say I miss it much.

Back