Pats FA thread

That doesn't explain why he was skimming stones on many of his throws.
No you're correct it doesn't. Was he injured? I know there was rumors of his shoulder being injured and injured ribs. Not sure how accurate those rumors, but thankfully, Kendrick Bourne does make quite a few shoe lace catches, so that's a plus?

I am not entirely absolving Cam of his woes. He definitely had his issues, I think there was a lot more to it that compounded those issues though. And yes, he has always been a better runner than a passer, I agree.
Compounded quite a bit by the difficulty of our playbook and the 20 years of evolution it went through under 1 QB.
Compounded by Cam trying/forced to become a pocket passer with far too few actual RPO plays which he was used to running.
Compounded by Cam getting sick from COVID - and yes, he did suffer symptoms.
I could go on but everyone here knows the chips were stacked against any QB coming in here and performing well as a newbie without solid weapons.

Oh, and btw, Cam has always run RPO offenses and had some plays designed for him to run. He has never been a scrambling QB in the same sense as Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson or Wilson or Steve Young.
His runs have always been designed to be power runs rather than from escaping pressure. He's been that way from HS to college at Auburn to now.

Last edited:
Compounded quite a bit by the difficulty of our playbook and the 20 years of evolution it went through under 1 QB.
Compounded by Cam trying/forced to become a pocket passer with far too few actual RPO plays which he was used to running.
I could go on but everyone here knows the chips were stacked against any QB coming in here and performing well as a newbie without solid weapons.
Great points and personally I think the chips would be stacked against any QB coming here at any point. New England fans can be brutally unforgiving (myself included), it's a huge market and most important, trying to come in here and fill a position that was held by the GOAT for 20 years? I think Peyton Manning himself would have difficulty playing here.

Montravius Adams, wow! Here's a guy I followed all the way through college. He was a 5star recruit after being a HS All American and was 247's 10th ranked prospect at any position.
He was great through college, All-SEC, and won an SEC Championship. He was a monster; almost always double teamed and still made plays. He played NT although he's really a DT. He had a monster Senior Bowl game.
Then he went to GB and you never heard a peep out of him. GB played him at DE last I knew in a 4-3 alignment. Such a waste.
I hope BB can make him great again.

BB uses his Safety/LB hybrids for that out the nickel pkg. in a 2-5 alignment which we run far more than base these days.
Phillips, Duggar and Jalen Mills.
So are you good with Bentley then, with Hightower in the middle? Or do you see KVN playing mostly middle given all the Edge Guys we suddenly have?

So are you good with Bentley then, with Hightower in the middle? Or do you see KVN playing mostly middle given all the Edge Guys we suddenly have?
Not as a replacement for Hightower, no.
KVN is an EDGE/OLB. He thrived out there

Oh, and btw, Cam has always run RPO offenses and had some plays designed for him to run. He has never been a scrambling QB in the same sense as Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson or Wilson or Steve Young.
His runs have always been designed to be power runs rather than from escaping pressure. He's been that way from HS to college at Auburn to now.
So what do you think for next year for him? I mean he has not played well in about 5 years since his MVP year, do you think he is going to be good next year, and how good? Like superbowl good?

Yes, I still lurk sometimes. 😔 Hi to all of you, and thanks for the re-welcome.

Hi, y'all. And yes, chevs, the double TE threat made me very happy as well. Trent Brown was just such a joy to watch gobble up opposing, expensive DL, and I'm looking forward to watching it again. The book on him was that he was better run blocking than pass blocking, but then he went the year with, IIRC, a single sack allowed. Actually, that may have been partway through the season, but still.

Jonnu > Hunter. IMO.

And I only have 13 children, don't be ridiculous. 🍻

Last edited:
Right, we've got Hightower on the inside. We have a thousand edge rushers. Not sure who can cover TEs/RBs out of that group. I like what BB has been doing forcing OL to block in space by having fewer down lineman, and we have a collection of folks that could lean into that this year.

...I need an updated depth chart for the defense, and then some time to morph that into what it looks like in all the various fronts the Patriots throw out there.

Yes, I still lurk sometimes. 😔 Hi to all of you, and thanks for the re-welcome.

Hi, y'all. And yes, chevs, the double TE threat made me very happy as well. Trent Brown was just such a joy to watch gobble up opposing, expensive DL, and I'm looking forward to watching it again. The book on him was that he was better run blocking than pass blocking, but then he went the year with, IIRC, a single sack allowed. Actually, that may have been partway through the season, but still.

Jonnu > Hunter. IMO.

And I only have 13 children, don't be ridiculous. 🍻
Has the Covid made it harder to wander?? :Lwelcome:

Cheers

Yes, that's kind of what i was thinking, except I could see KVN moving inside given a HT injury. I like Bentley, but right now ILB is IMO the weakest link on defense and I'd like to see someone other than him as first backup so KVN can play outside, though there are only 2 edges and we have plenty of edge rushers now...What an odd thing that is for us :)

But, versatile:

Yes, just looked up his #'s. He's a big boy, bigger than Van Noy, just about HT/Vrabel sized. This will be an interesting tc/preseason.

Back